Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Thanks acus :)

There's one strange error in the log which was not present before and it also doesn't occur on my system :blink:

[07/17/12,11:19:03] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 1.1 SP1

[07/17/12,11:18:59] ****ERROR**** File C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\regsvcs.exe.rtm.config is not installed on the system

Could you try to replicate the error, i.e. install .NET Framework again on a fresh setup and run the NET Framework Setup Verification Tool?

Edit: I've managed to replicate the error. Let me have a look at it and see what causes it.

Edited by tomasz86

I guess I'll have to remake the .NET Framework installer from the beginning. The current version is affected by this issue.

I've been doing my best to speed up the process of preparing USP5.2 but it won't be ready in the near future so... I've decided to keep updating UURollup (ENU) until the moment when the final version of USP5.2 is ready. UURollup-v11 is already prepared and I'm going to upload it in the next few days after I've done the final testing. UURollup-v11 is going to be a very important release because BWC kernel is used in it for the first time instead of WB kernel. Thanks to it many more applications should work correctly and much fewer "patches" will be required to run the other ones :)

I've been still working on UURollup-v11. Including files from BWC kernel is more difficult than I initially thought. The newest version of BWC's ntdll.dll adds support for RtlInitUnicodeStringEx which in consequence makes it possible to use httpapi.dll (What is httpapi?) in Win2k. This will influence .NET Framework because this function is used by both .NET 3.x and 4.x. At the moment I'm focused on integrating the files into UURollup, and after it is done I'm going to check its impact on .NET.

The first test version of UURollup-v11 (UURollup-v11.20120722.142800) is ready. You can find it in the same location where .NET Framework test versions are available (see #1). Kernel32.dll has been replaced with the BWC version and some other files have been updated too. The newest XP updates (KB2655992 & KB2719985) have been added.

Edited by tomasz86

I know BWC/WB kernels add missing functions.

You probably should use the original last Kernel version for Win2K.

Switching back and forth between the 2 Ks is not a good idea. They both do :thumbup GREAT :thumbup work.

Working on multiple packages only takes time from priority packages.

Just some advice, but you can take it with a grain of salt. Keep the good work.

You could always start out USP 5.2 with all official M$ files and then start to add Unofficial files in USP 5.3 etc......

@acus

Thanks for testing. Actually, in case of UURollup what's more important than the installation process itself (which is not very complicated) is how programs work with it, whether any unexpected problems occur, etc. I do know that it's very difficult and time-consuming to test all these things though. You did your test with IE5 installed, right?

@PROBLEMCHYLD

A piece of advice is always good, no matter whether I agree with it or not ;) I know that switching between the kernels is not an ideal situation but what can I do at the moment? Leaving the original kernel would block all applications compiled in VS2010 so I can't even think of doing that. It would be the best if there was only one unofficial kernel but the reality is different :whistle: so I cannot do anything but adapt to the current state of affairs. WildBill's kernel was used from the beginning but at the moment BWC kernel is more developed so I think it's a proper moment to make a switch.

In the end the number of packages is going to be reduced but now I just must update UURollup to keep up with all the changes. If I left it like this then everything would be very difficult later when a lot of changes are to be implemented at once. It's much easier to add them one by one when BWC/WB update their files and new XP/2K3 (2K compatible) updates are released.

I'm going to start with adding the official updates to USP5.2 and then the unofficial ones but in the end it's going to be only one package. I don't want to make it fragmented so I do not plan to prepare a separate version with official updates only. If someone wants to use only official updates then using Windows Update or installing Update Rollups 1+2 will probably satisfy them while USP5.2 is for people interested in having everything including all official/unofficial updates and all other optional components.

Edited by tomasz86

Is there any reason why BWC/WB doesn't work together and create one unique Kernel?

You should ask them, not me :ph34r:

Actually, in the new test version of UURollup-v11 almost all of the kernel related files come from BWC. Only ntdll.dll is still WB.

I've just uploaded a new test version of UURollup-v11. There are too many issues in the current BWC kernel. In the yesterday's version of UURollup there is a bug which breaks Silverlight. I've tried all my best to fix it but couldn't get through it. Until this problem and other issues (see the main topic about BWC kernel) are fixed UURollup will use WB kernel.

In the today's version of UURollup-v11 WB kernel is used and I've added one more update to it - KB2603381. It's no longer required to slipstream it separately.

Edit: By the way, messing too much with system files can sometimes bring unexpected results :ph34r::lol:

post-310716-0-53696400-1343027279_thumb.

Edited by tomasz86