Old USB DSL modem software problems (win 98se)

zanet

I have an old usb alcatel dsl modem that isn't working. The screen freezes when I try to connect to the internet, so I tried a fresh install but it's still doing the same thing. No error messages, just freezes. The actual hardware seems fine and says it's connected. I've uninstalled the software, removed any remaining files and folders and also run a registry cleaner to find and remove the reg keys but still no joy. Is there anything else I need to do to completely remove the software from the system before I try again? I used ccleaner, free reg cleaner and regclean so far. Is there anything else that would be hidden in the system that I need to remove that's causing a conflict? I've also ran antivirus and antispyware but they didn't pick up anything.

Edited by zanet

I don't have an alcatel, but do have a Siemens 4200 series. It is connected to my 98se machine using USB.

It seemed to work fine for a while, but then started messing up, and was unable to get an IP address using DHCP. I can't remember if the screen froze, but ended up specifying an IP address manually to make the problem of no consequence.

When you say 'freezes' , what do you mean? The screen never updates? The mouse doesn't move? The keyboard is un-responsive? You cannot get the Task Manager to pop up using Ctrl-Alt-Del?

FWIW, you can get unresponsive programs if the net stack 'sits' on requests. If you're having problems, and try to do a ping or tracert, sometimes those programs will just stop, and become unresponsive, especially if the network component programs are having problems.

I end up using Process Explorer from Sysinternals.com running all the time {version 10.2 - haven't checked for newer, and know SOME don't work with 98} so I can see what programs are hanging. If they are blocked by the network, you cannot even kill them using Process Explorer. The kill or kill tree commands don't work.

tom

What I mean is I click on the Alcatel icon, the connect window pops up, I click the "connect" box, a little "connecting" bar loads halfway on the pop up window...and then my whole system freezes. The cursor freezes, I can't ctrl alt dlt, the keyboard (which isn't usb) is completely unresponsive. The only option I have is to hit the reboot button on the actual tower. It's weird because everything else on my system works perfectly until I do that. In this situation would the program you suggested help? I've tried reinstalling the software, removing old reg keys, running antivirus, antispyware etc but nothing fixes the problem. It was working up until recently when my isp / phone provider made some changes. They said it shouldn't affect me and that the old modem should still work (it works just dandy on my old win 2000 laptop).

If it was mine, I'd try to find out if it is an Alcatel product, or just has their label on it, and then find out if there had been a software update installed whilst you weren't looking, as in 'new' drivers etc.

I would also try to find out if there was a flag you could feed the program to make it output some error log messages to a file that would survive a reboot.

I would also look into the 'network' settings to see what was 'bound' to what. TCPIP stack in correctly, and ip and dns and so on set properly. The thing might be working, but is hanging when it tries to go out to the DHCP or DNS server. If it doesn't get a response, it may sit forever, or un-hand after some time period. Either way, it could make the machine un-responsive.

tom

(sigh...) OK, I'll bite...

I have an old usb alcatel dsl modem that isn't working.
Speedtouch? (which one?)

Is it one of those "frog/mouse/stingray"-looking things like this? It's the ONLY thing I can find searching for "usb alcatel dsl modem". another reference

Here's a reference you may not like (scroll down to it).

Alcatel SpeedTouch USB

The Alcatel USB was designed for a single user with no need for networking. The modem has a single USB port for connectivity and requires drivers that are OS specific. It will not work with all OSs and can not be easily networked. The modem can utilize PPPoA and RFC1483 connectivity. The modem is a high power drain device that may cause problems with other USB devices. Many users have eliminated power supply problems by installing a self-powered hub, which provides the USB with a separate power source. It can support G.DMT speeds up to 8Mbps downstream, 832kps upstream.

Shipping Status: Discontinued ~2002.

Cheap and plentiful...but for a reason. It seems like all of your "friends" are willing to give you their old one (or an entire pallet of them) for free.

So.... Is this the one and do you have the drivers for it?

Drivers for THAT model (whichever one it is - look at the bottom of it) may be here.

Wiki-Wiki...

DriverGuide list

BellSouth lists <-newer than yours?

DSLDepot Drivers <-other files + newer than yours?

A reference indicating USB2.0 or "freezes"...

I really don't know EXACTLY what you have, but there are indications that the driver you are using is also too old in addition to not using it on a USB 2.0 port.

BTW, you DO have a ISP (e.g. AT&T) account you're using this with, right?

Get this PDF file (the -OMG- Manual for the stingray thingy) and look at page 9. You also need a "splitter/filter" in addition to a Service Provider account.

In addition, it APPEARS that the SpeedTouch 330 (looks more like an old mouse than a stingray) is also USB. LOOK under the unit and tell what it actually is for more help.

Edited by submix8c

Speedtouch? (which one?) Is it one of those "frog/mouse/stingray"-looking things like this? It's the ONLY thing I can find searching for "usb alcatel dsl modem". another reference

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was a Speedtouch. It's identical to the first one, so it's the stingray version.

So.... Is this the one and do you have the drivers for it?

It was part of the package from my ISP and comes with an installation cd with the Alcatel drivers included, in addition to all the filters etc.

I really don't know EXACTLY what you have, but there are indications that the driver you are using is also too old in addition to not using it on a USB 2.0 port.

BTW, you DO have a ISP (e.g. AT&T) account you're using this with, right?

Get this PDF file (the -OMG- Manual for the stingray thingy) and look at page 9. You also need a "splitter/filter" in addition to a Service Provider account.

In addition, it APPEARS that the SpeedTouch 330 (looks more like an old mouse than a stingray) is also USB. LOOK under the unit and tell what it actually is for more help.

A little additional background information might help here (in hindsight I should have included this in my original post). I've been using the modem for the last 8 years or so. It came with the internet package my ISP / Phone company provided, along with the installation cd (and drivers). It's served me well over the years on my back up system and then decided to not work one day. No errors, the whole pc just froze / locked up whenever I tried clicked on the connect button.

At first I thought it was an ISP problem because they had done some upgrades on the line but it works fine on my old laptop (that has 2000 on it). I also called to verify if there were any problems with older hardware and they said it should be fine. Considering the laptop and pc are both old with usb 1.1 slots, using old (albeit different) operating systems, I'm mystified as to why one works, yet the other doesn't. All I did was install the software of the laptop and plug in the usb cable. I didn't change the cable set up, so I know the hardware works and all the cables are connected properly.

Anyway, I decided to format the pc (just in case it was some weird virus messing with the system) with a fresh installation of W98se but when I installed the software half the content is missing (including the drivers). So where-as before it installed everything but froze when attempting to use it, now it's not even installing all the contents. The way the installation works is you let the cd install the first lot of software, then plug in the usb cable when prompted, the system asks for the W98se cd, then installs the drivers. The same for the 2000 machine, except it didn't ask for the OS cd. N.B. The ISP installation program states that it will ask for the OS cd it you're using 98se. Each time I get a no-so-successful "installation complete!", it looks like the modem is connected (two green lights showing) but obviously something is going wrong somewhere.

:blink:

Did you look at the links I gave? Two or three have Modem Drivers which might be newer than what's on the CD.

Have you tried the NUSB3 (USB port) drivers found here on MSFN?

Yes, I did Thanks for all the links and information. Unfortunately, the drivers weren't compatible. I also installed the NUSB but that didn't make a difference either. Since this works perfectly on my 2000 laptop I was thinking of installing 2000 on the PC and see if that works. I'm really stumped as to what could be causing this. Would it work if I copied the installed files from the 2000 laptop and added them to my 98se PC?

Nope... according to one of the downloads, the Win9x files are different from the Win2k ones.

What do you mean "weren't compatible"?

BTW, have you tried booting to "Safe Mode" and uninstalling all of the related Hardware entries in Device Manager?

And curious - you mentioned "antivirus" and "antispyware" - do they perchance block/delete anything related? (which products mentioned?)

Sorry, perhaps that was a poor choice of wording. Every time I installed a driver and went to device manager it said "no drivers installed". I tried searching for the drivers (again in device manager) but it said "no drivers found". I reinstalled the modem software to see if it would "find" them that way but still no joy.

I haven't tried booting in safe mode, so I'll see if that makes a difference (God knows, everything else I've tried has been met with utter failure). As for the anti-virus / anti-spyware question, I don't think they block anything. I made sure everything was disabled beforehand. Besides, I haven't reinstalled the AV / AS software since I formatted and I'm still in the same boat, so I think that rules out any problems there.

I haven't tried booting in safe mode...
OS has a nasty habit of keeping "bad"/"old" Registry Entries that only show up in Safe Mode. In XP (and up) you can ask for "Show All Devices" and that facility doesn't exist in Win9x and must be done in Safe. Try that, ok? Edited by submix8c