USB Drive help needed (Win98se)

zanet

Hi everyone,

Complete computer novice here in need of some help. I'm trying to back up data from an old win 98se pc but when I use a 2.0 usb flash drive it has a fit half way through installing the drivers and I get the following blue screen error:

"Invalid vxd dynamic link call from ntmaphlp (02) + 00000002 to device "004f", service 1. Your windows configuration is invalid, Run the windows setup program again to correct this problem. To continue running windows press y or enter. To quit the current program press n. If you continue running windows your system may become unstable".

It gives me a black screen regardless of what option I choose but runs fine after I remove the drive and reboot. The pc was custom built in 2002. Unfortunately, the shop that built it went out of business years ago, so I have no idea if it has 1.0 or 1.1 usb ports. I was told 2.0 flash drives are backwards compatible, so it should work with old comps with 1.1 usb ports. It works fine with an old laptop running 2000.

It was suggested the pc might just have usb 1.0 port which is why it isn't working. Is there a way to find out what version (1.0 or 1.1) it has? Also, what would I need to do to upgrade to 1.1 if it turns out it has 1.0? I read somewhere that win 98se comes with drivers for 1.1 as default. I'm hoping one of you tech guru's can help me out here as I'm stumped.

Is USB 2.0 hardware backwards compatible with just 1.1 or 1.0 as well? Also, would hardware with 1.0 or 1.1 connectors work if I added 2.0 ports?

Really appreciate any / all help!

Flash drive make / model: Sandisk Cruzer 3 2.0

Motherboard: Legend QUI Planitix 2

The USB 2.0 is backward compatible with older USB standards. In windows 98 the USB 2.0 controller does not always work correctly. To be on the safe side it is possible to disable the USB 2.0 controller in the device manager. The remaining USB 1.x controllers should do the job, forcing the USB 2.0 devices to work slower.

Have you actually installed the correct device driver for USB Mass Storage, either through the Unoffical Service Pack or by running the seperate NUSB*.EXE installer?

Edited by j7n