2003 Security/permissions issue

A folder on a 2003 server is giving access denied message when you try to do anything to the folder. The other odd thing is when you open the Properties on the folder there is no Security Tab. I am an administrator on the box. I have even tried making security changes with the local admin account.

This looks as if someone tried to delete everything in the folder and this one was not deleted. I have asked the developers but no one is saying a word. I’m sure that’s a surprise to everyone. 

OK, maybe someone has something that I haven’t tried.

Thinks I have tried:

1. I went up one level and tried to push the in inheritable permissions. Access denied.

2. I have tried taking ownership with “TAKEOWN”. I get access denied

3. I then downloaded a XCACLS from Microsoft website and tried but got Error: file not found. I doubled and triple checked the path to the file was correct and then changed my working directory to the folder location to make sure it was going to the correct location.

4. I also tried ICACLS to change the folder permission but figured if I didn’t have access or ownership it wouldn’t work. Unfortunately I was correct. Long shot but at this point I’m getting desperate.

Thanks for any suggesting!!

I had this happen on an XP machine one time where the Security tab was missing, it seems to me that a vital service was stopped or disabled. I can't remember which one but you may want to start looking there.

The root cause is probably a path longer than 255 (or so ) characters. To resolve this problem, you need to either reduce the path before the problematic folder (by renaming upper folder to one character) or to share the deepest level where the security tab appear and then connect the newly created share and try to set rights there (the security tab should appear now).

• 1 month later...