PCI-E graphics with the best DOS compatibility in Windows 98

Sfor

I'm using various DOS tools, quite fequently. According to my experience the AGP based ATI cards do have a tendency to hang when a full screen mode DOS application is launched, or switched to full screen mode. On the other hand the Nvidia AGP cards were much more reliable in this kind of tasks.

So, when looking for a PCI-E Windows 98 compatible graphic, I started from Nvidia. The GeForce 6600 do seem to work reasonably well, but when it comes to DOS applications they gave me a headache. On the other hand ATI Radeon x600 seems to be working mych better than GeForce 6600, but it shows exactly the same symptoms, as older AGP ATI cards.

Currently I'm trying to get a HP DC7100 i915 equipped with PCI-E DVI capable graphic card.

I have always had nothing but problems with nvidia cards on 98 regarding DOS stuff. Ati usually was fine except 9600 which had palette corruption in few games.

I am currently using Radeon X850XT PE AGP and it has not shown any problems, perhaps PCI-E card works fine too ?

All my other PCI-E cards have been too new for 98, only other that I got is same as yours and exhibited problems too.

I'm thinking about testing older than 6.2 Ati Catalyst driver sets. But, I have serious problems with getting these. The Ati (AMD) pages do not offer such old driver sets, not to mention there is hardly anything about Windows 98.

I can not get to the Windows 98 driver sets on Filehippo, as well. I found just XP or Vista related packages there.

I'm thinking about testing older than 6.2 Ati Catalyst driver sets. But, I have serious problems with getting these. The Ati (AMD) pages do not offer such old driver sets, not to mention there is hardly anything about Windows 98.

I can not get to the Windows 98 driver sets on Filehippo, as well. I found just XP or Vista related packages there.

If you find a source for these we need to create some sort of "archive" to preserve them. I have often searched for some older versions that still have Windows 95 Support, to no avail. At least I still have a drivers disc for the cards I use in 95... :whistle:

Using ATI PCI-E cards, I was not able to set a VESA video mode in DOS that required more than a megabyte of video RAM. On the brighter side this also for some reason made the DOS console open quicker.