W2K install on VIA KM266 chipset

I was trying to install W2K on an ASROCK K7VM2 mobo that has VIA KM266 chipset, as a 2nd part of a dual boot, and kept getting errors saying that the file that was copied is not valid. I spent like half a day trying to eliminate all possibilities until I finally decided to move all 3 drives (W98 boot drive, data drive, W2K boot drive) over to a PC with a 440BX motherboard, and the setup ran there just fine.

One of the first thing I tried is to get the W2K IDE driver out of the VIA driver package, but it wouldn't install, first complaining about the missing txtsetup.oem file, and when I learned how to create one, then it didn't like the .inf file. :realmad: I also tried a a Promise Ultra66 (that one did have a good driver) but that didn't help either.

So what was happening there? What could be wrong with that chipset?

TIA

The file is more or less random, and usually different each time -- if the HDs are hooked up to the onboard IDE portsm, it's usually within the first few percents, if they're on a Promise Ultra 66, it's around 12% - 13%. I have never seen anything like this. :no:

I moved the disks back from the 440BX system, and the freshly installed, known to good W2K wouldn't boot in the machine with the VIA chipset. (not even in safe mode), which isn't too surprising now. Arrggghhhh...... :realmad:

Is anyone running W2K on a KM266?

Have you, by chance, tried nLite and integrating the drivers (an INF file, NOT a TXTSETUP.OEM file).

Drivers are here.

Extract the driver package (VIA 4-in-1), extract the contents of the EXE, and integrate the VIAMACH.INF, the VIAIDE.INF, and the VIAAGP1.INF. There's another package for the Integrated AGP and the Sound as well.

Your "error" symptoms are unclear with a statement like "kept getting errors saying that the file that was copied is not valid". We need the EXACT message.

Question - is this an "unaltered" W2K?

edit - No wonder it installs on 440BX, since Intel drivers are "preintegrated" whereas VIA are not (AFAICR).

Edited by submix8c

I just tried nLite a little while ago, but it wants an .ini file, and this is the only one (setup.ini) that comes with the 4-in-1 via driver:

"[startup]

AppName=VIA Service Pack

FreeDiskSpace=1134

[iSUPDATE]

UpdateURL=http://" :no:

And that's just ain't gonna cut it...

One exact message is attached (slightly different because the HDs are currently hooked up to the Ultra ATA 66)m but the essence is the same: at some point file copying will stop, and retry won't help.

In this particular case, it went to 17%.

I tried one unaltered copy, and one with SP4 slipstreamed in -- tried both, and essentially identical behaviors.

I looked into how install is done, and there's a big pool of .sy_ files in a temp directory that W2K can use. Would it be possible to create a viaide.sy_ from viaide.sys and just put in there?

post-86092-0-67387700-1335302168_thumb.j

I just tried nLite a little while ago, but it wants an .ini file, and this is the only one (setup.ini) that comes with the 4-in-1 via driver:

<snip>

One exact message is attached (slightly different because the HDs are currently hooked up to the Ultra ATA 66) but the essence is the same: at some point file copying will stop, and retry won't help.

In this particular case, it went to 17%.

I tried one unaltered copy, and one with SP4 slipstreamed in -- tried both, and essentially identical behaviors.

I looked into how install is done, and there's a big pool of .sy_ files in a temp directory that W2K can use. Would it be possible to create a viaide.sy_ from viaide.sys and just put in there?

(see last comment regarding the attached screenshot)

NOW, for the Integration of the Drivers using nLite -

Extract the driver package (VIA 4-in-1), extract the contents of the EXE, and integrate the VIAMACH.INF, the VIAIDE.INF, and the VIAAGP1.INF. There's another package for the Integrated AGP and the Sound as well.
Reread that. I said point to the INF files (plural) NOT an INI File. It's clearly stated in nLite where to integrate and all you do is BROWSE to EACH FOLDER that has the indicated INF file and VOILA! The INF's are collected and the files are packed FOR you (.SYS -> .SY_). It's easy!

P.S. I have done this many times - the ZIP unpacks then the EXE unpacks and IN THAT are many folders - look inside them (the FOLDERS - there's one for each OS, including Win2000) for the INF's I said. Do the same for the Sound and Video. Both the INF and associate Files are needed - the INF is the directive to install the Files, OK?

...and BTW, burn the CD at a slow speed (4x-8x and no higher), preferably RW's if the Reader will read them. Some CD-Readers tend to "choke" at higher burn speeds.

Edited by submix8c

I apologize for the wild goose chase, it turned out to be a case of 'bad' RAM. :blushing:

Separately, both sticks test fine -- together, they erred out on the modulo 20 test.... :angry:

Edited by aurgathor

• 3 weeks later...

Via chipsets are bugged. You're observing the consequences, with a very high probability.

Among others, their disk host makes write errors. It started before your Km266 and continued after. Via never improved that.

People who experienced it tell "Via never again". Meanwhile Via changed the company's name and tries again to sell chipsets.

I experienced it with Win98se, which I considered the worst Win I ever had, because of Via. Many Windows users had already switched at that time to WinMe, which got the infamous reputation. Thereafter, Microsoft put sensitive error tests in their Windows installation disks, so users don't accuse Microsoft. This tells why W2k and Xp don't install on buggy hardware while W98se does. Installing W2k or Xp from the CD is in fact a good test of hardware health.

Notice the Via chip for USB 2.0 on Pci works great.

Via chipsets are bugged.
WHAAA????

You've gone fruit-loops! I've been running a PC-CHIPS MoBo with VIA North/South+Intel-CPU for two years and not one whit of a problem. In addition, the last MoBo was a GigaByte with Via North/South+AMD-CPU (4 years) and also not a whisper. Not to mention other older PC's having VIA Chipsets...

You MUST have used the wrong drivers/version!!!

P.S. and triple-booting 2K3, XP, and Win98SE on both!

(wow!!!)

Edited by submix8c

Well, I've been using KT600 and KT400 based motherboards for a long time, already, and have not experienced any problems due to any chipset bugs, either.

But now that pointertovoid mentioned it... way back when, there was talk about problems with older VIA chipsets... including the KM266.

There're purported fixes for these purported issues by one George Breese, who seems to have been well known at that time, apparently because of those fixes. I've never used George's fixes, so I cannot say whether they were any good, but his homepage still exists. He seems to have been most active at the old www.viahardware.com forums, which also still exist, but now are located at sudhian (which just closed down, but still is available read-only, nobody knows for how long). Now, maybe some good spelunking around the oldest threads at sudhian can produce useful information, and if you decide to do it, do it now, while the sudhian forums still exist. Hope this leads somewhere, and in case it does, please do let us know. AFAIK, the VIA 4x1 4.38 (see this) should be enough, though, and George's fixes should not be necessary. Read also: Crash Test: Problems with VIA's KT133/KT133A.

But now that pointertovoid mentioned it... way back when, there was talk about problems with older VIA chipsets... including the KM266. <snip> AFAIK, the VIA 4x1 4.38 (see this) should be enough, though, and George's fixes should not be necessary.
Hmm... found v4.38(a) here...

Direct link from ViaArena...

edit - and the OP's problem was solved - Bad RAM...

Edited by submix8c