Explorer Patch (256 color TrayIcons) under Win95OSR2

Comos

Hi everyove,

does anybody remember for which offset to take a look for in Explorer.exe to patch it for 256 color tray icons? Dr. Hoiby did a lot of patches for most of the Windows versions, but I would like to patch it on my Win95OSR2 Czech version and for this one I can't find anything.

Thanks for help

Comos

What version of EXPLORER.EXE are you using? The 95-Shell version (4.00.95x) or the version installed by the Desktop Update (4.72.3612.17xx)?

The links to the text file instructions at Dr Hoiby's website are a bit deranged and unclear. :wacko: (For example, the link supposedly for 95A instructions goes to instructions for 98FE EXPLORER v4.72.3110.1)

If you tell us what version you're using, we can sort it out. I started a text file containing specific instructions for each version during my slipstream project but I'm not sure where it is at the moment. :unsure:

What version of EXPLORER.EXE are you using? The 95-Shell version (4.00.95x) or the version installed by the Desktop Update (4.72.3612.17xx)?

The links to the text file instructions at Dr Hoiby's website are a bit deranged and unclear. :wacko: (For example, the link supposedly for 95A instructions goes to instructions for 98FE EXPLORER v4.72.3110.1)

If you tell us what version you're using, we can sort it out. I started a text file containing specific instructions for each version during my slipstream project but I'm not sure where it is at the moment. :unsure:

The windows itself is updated to 4.00.950B (USB support included).The Explorer.exe is also 4.00.950B as I remember,but I will take a look again for a case.

The windows itself is updated to 4.00.950B (USB support included).The Explorer.exe is also 4.00.950B as I remember,but I will take a look again for a case.

Checked, it's 4.00.950 version

Looks like these are the correct offsets. Checked and they are listed as being the same offsets despite different file sizes in 3 different language versions at Dr. Hoiby's website.

English

German

Russian

name : explorer.exe
size : 204288
version : 4.0.0.950
//------------

Offset 0x0C496 :

01 -> 11

Offset 0x0E6CF :

01 -> 11

Offset 0x1E86F :

01 -> 11

If you are uncertain, you could take a look at the English version and compare some of the surrounding bytes at those offsets to see if they are the same.

English version and others downloadable from Dr. Hoiby at the link above.

Here's a direct link for the English version.

Looks like these are the correct offsets. Checked and they are listed as being the same offsets despite different file sizes in 3 different language versions at Dr. Hoiby's website.

English

German

Russian

name : explorer.exe
size : 204288
version : 4.0.0.950
//------------

Offset 0x0C496 :

01 -> 11

Offset 0x0E6CF :

01 -> 11

Offset 0x1E86F :

01 -> 11

If you are uncertain, you could take a look at the English version and compare some of the surrounding bytes at those offsets to see if they are the same.

English version and others downloadable from Dr. Hoiby at the link above.

Here's a direct link for the English version.

The file size is the same as Russian version, so I have fixed it and I'll test it tomorrow.Also I dunno what causes that the explorer.exe sometimes crashes when using the Quick Launch 95 utility in startup....

The file size is the same as Russian version, so I have fixed it and I'll test it tomorrow.Also I dunno what causes that the explorer.exe sometimes crashes when using the Quick Launch 95 utility in startup....

I've never used it, so I don't know. :unsure:

BenoitRen might know more about it, I believe I've seen him mention that utility before...

I've never used it, so I don't know. :unsure:

BenoitRen might know more about it, I believe I've seen him mention that utility before...

Okay, I'll try to ask him.Today I have tested the patched explorer and it is working :)