Noobie slipstreaming questions. orz

Forge

SATA is AHCI

Not always. BIOS may map SATA to IDE, AHCI or RAID.

27DF: IDE controller

27C0: ICH7 at IDE emulation mode

Open stroage controller at device manager. Goto details and read HarwareId and compatibleId.

Don't you read *CC_0101 ? That's IDE emulation for SATA device.

I'm guessing the Intel one is port 0 and the rest are Jmicron is that right?

Read the manual. Don't you use a GA-EG31M-S2 http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-eg31m-s2_e.pdf

There is no Jmicron controller. All SATA ports are connected to ICH7.

Also at the moment for some strange reason my SATA ports are set to IDE channel 2 and 3 and my HD is on channel 3 set as slave while my OD is set to master on channel one. Shouldn't my HD be on channel 1 as master and my OD on channel 2 as master?

That's BIOS remapped.

You may trial and error this part.

Or ignore this part. Don't worry about at two drives so far.

I should have 2 IDE ports on my MB and just to switch the cables but I can only see one on my MB.

There is one IDE port. But you can attach two IDE devicec at one cable.

Hardware dosn't support AHCI. All SATA ports are mapped to IDE emulation.

Classic hardware allows two IDE channels and four IDE drives.

IRQ 14 Primary IDE channel

IRQ 15 Secondary IDE channel

This refers to DOS layout.

At classic hardware you may add a additional PCI IDE controller.

Your hardware support one IDE port and four SATA ports: that's six drives at all.

BIOS allows to configure DOS behavour.

Map four selectable drives to classic layout. Read four drives available at DOS. You don't use DOS.

You use two devices so far: a IDE DVD drive and a SATA hard disk.

The IDE DVD drive is connected to IDE Channel 0 and BIOS mapped to IRQ 14 Primary IDE channel

The SATA hard disk is connected to virtual IDE Channel 3 and BIOS mapped to IRQ 15 Secondary IDE channel.

This resembles a classic layout.

There is no need to include any mass storage controller driver.

Disalbe SATA at VirtualBox, use IDE at VirtualBox too.

As for testing the Sata drivers, you can, of course, boot the cd before zeroing, to check if it sees your HDD.

Yes, that's the obvious apporach.

Thanks for the quick reply Cdob but I'm not sure I understand everything your saying. Do you mind if I clarify it with you? Are you saying more or less that:

• My antiquated hardware does not support AHCI it is running the SATA ports as if they were IDE ports.
  • Because my hard drive is connected to a SATA port emulating an IDE port and not a physical secondary IDE port re-mapping the BIOS so the hard drive is set as master on the primary IDE channel and the optical drive on the secondary IDE channel will make no performance difference as this only effects the system if your running it in DOS not Windows and so I should not bother including any SATA drives in my install either.
  • All my SATA ports are Intel ports and none are Jmicron

Are those points more or less correct?

Judging from that link I don't think the paper manual that came with my motherboard is complete I've read it several times and I wondered why it made reference to sections it didn't contain. :lol:

Ah I thought there were Jmicron ports because I have Jmicron SATA drivers on my motherboard's installation disc as well as the Intel ones and the guide you linked in your previous post said Intel boards often have additional ports offered through Jmicron add-ons and to make sure to connect to the Intel one during installation.

I know I can have 2 IDE devices connected via the same port I was asking because I want to update my optical drives BIOS and as per the instructions -which I will attach in case you want to have a look- it has to be on the secondary IDE channel to do so. Since I just have the one do you think it'll be safe to just leave it as is (master on the primary channel) or do you think I should re-map the BIOS so it's set to the secondary channel?

Read me(ew).TXT

Edited by Forge

I should not bother including any SATA drives in my install either.

Yes, that's it.

I want to update my optical drives BIOS and as per the instructions

This is a historic manufacturer precaution. Ignore this part.

Run the firmware flasher anyway. DVD firmware is updated at primary IDE anyway.

Or goto BIOS. Read manual 2-5 Integrated Peripherals

On-Chip SATA Mode to Combined

PATA IDE Set to Ch.1 Master/Slave

SATA Port 0/2 Set will be automatically set to Ch. 0 Master/Slave.

Attach the SATA hard disk to SATA Port 0 or Port 2.

Hey everyone just wanted to let you all know the install went well, thanks to everyone that helped me along the way, your advice and info was invaluable!

It feels great having a nice clean system again now I've just got to remember to keep it this way and try to keep all the junkware off.

One thing though do I need the Ultra ATA Storage controller -27DF because I can't get it to install. I've run the Intel INF update utility again but still nothing. Here are pics of my device manager controllers before & after the new install:

Before (previous XP install)

capture-20120425-121307.png

After (new XP install)

IDEControllers.png

I've checked Intel's download pages, knowledge base articles and forums, Gigabytes website, the forums here, looked through my motherboards install disc and the extracted archive from the INF updater for anything I might recognize as the driver but can't find anything. A Google search produced a lot of websites offering downloads but little information and I'm always dubious about downloading things from random sites. If anyone has any info that could help me or a trustworthy website that I might be able to download from I'd appreciate it.

PS. Anyone reading this thread looking for info on integrating SATA AHCI drivers on a motherboard with an ICH7 chip here is some great info that elaborates on info people have provided me here msi forum. Why couldn't I have found this before?!