Themes Preinstallation

Hi all,

i am trying to preinstall a Windows 7 with some added themes, but i note that if you go on personalization and select one of this themes you can easyly delete it.

i'd like to realize a scenario like defult themes, infact you cannot delete the basic themes.

Note: i have a sony vaio computer that after recovery shoes 5 themes installed not removable too

Can somebody show me how do it? :)

thanks in advance

Giovanni.

try using Reverse Integration method to install themes and generate your custom install.wim file

I followed this tutorial for reverse integration

Building A Standard Image Of Win7 By Capturing Install.wim by nice_guy75 @rtwincustomize.net

http://www.rtwincustomize.net/web/index.php?/topic/8343-building-a-standard-image-of-win7-by-capturing-installwim/

if you are thinking about normal preinstallation with unattend.xml i did it normally but the theme is deletable. i need to obtain as default themes.

u go with mouse on and if u push right button nothing must happen.

This requires an elevated command prompt or run logged in as administrator post image.

First, copy your theme file to "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes" so it shows up in the list of themes for all users. Alternatively you could put it in the default user profile but keeping up with that becomes bothersome.

Next pick which method you want to protect the file. Either will prevent the file from casual deletion as TrustedInstaller is the only ID with deletion permissions and administrators cannot elevate then delete. They will need to modify file permissions first (which is why you do not need to deny deletion).

Method one requires you to take ownership of the file prior to modifying permissions. This adds one step to the process but if you are in the GUI you have to close out of the file properties after taking ownership before proceeding. From the command line while it is trivial to add the take ownership into the script people tend to forget steps later on. Simply for ease of management I recommend method two.

Method two (recommended) changes this by adding write permissions to administrator. You don't need to remember to take ownership to update permissions.

Method one

ICACLS "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\NAME.theme" /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"

ICACLS "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\NAME.theme" /grant:r "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller":F System:RX Administrators:(RX,WO) Users:RX /inheritance:r

Method two

ICACLS "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\NAME.theme" /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"

ICACLS "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\NAME.theme" /grant:r "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller":F System:RX Administrators:(RX,WO,WDAC) Users:RX /inheritance:r

I recommend that you leave the administrators group with at least TakeOwnership rights. Otherwise you may find yourself with a file you cannot delete short of reformatting the drive.

Edited by pjb0222