File Transfer in Messenger, under XP

Dodger

Hi Guys

Bet u've heard this 1 b4 but I can't seem to send or receive files via windows messenger. I know its a security risk but only I use this PC and only accept files from close friends and colleagues.

I am running WinXP Home with the latest release of messenger. Think it may be something to do with XP firewall but didn't want to turn it off - anyway of setting the configuration to allow these (and preferrably to scan with my virus checker).

Any ideas much appreciated

Dodger

quick question:

are you on a network? (ie: are you using a router of some sort? or are you using a single computer?)

quick answer:

probably has something to do with firewall settings but need to make sure which firewall settings it's really using.

Assumption:

Some users on messenger can't send files to other users ( 2 people behind same firewalls (routers) will have some difficulty connecting). They don't know that they can't send files ;-)

I also have problems with this, sometimes it works, sometimes it dont... Weird... Try shutting off Firewall then sending or recieving, if you recieve its the firewall, turn it off (Dont like turning it off personally).

If you heve Norton Personal Firewall, it won't let you do it even if you disable it.

I had that problem too...

The solution is to unistall NPFW and instal Tiny Personal Firewall.

ok just swapped one problem for another! can get it to work if I disable XP's own firewall but then as soon as i logon to the net next the whole computer just crashes - causes a fatal error! (and it did this at least 5 times) to fix it i put the firewall back and here I am!

BTW works fine with Zonelarm pro running and sygate PF - both allow file transfer.

And another thing!!! after that error it told me that most of my icons were unused and started the wizard to remove them - even though i used them all today!

Anyone got a clue how to decipher what the message it tries to send to Micro$lut means? Cos I never send em! Reckon they must get millions a day!

grrrrrrr - gonna end up usin win2k pro at this rate

Dodge

sorry for ranting!