Brand New user learning to navigate correctly

H4rdKn0cks

I have just gone through the task of installing XP Home SP3, and updating for 3 straight days. I am running XP on an HP Compaq Evo N400c 384 RAM/Pent.3 20GB hdd w/ a Netgear WPN111 usb wifi adapter and after updates were finished...10 GIG!!! This will not do!

The only reason I'm installing XP on this lappy is to manage my Cydia/Jailbreak iPhone 3gs, otherwise I run Puppylinux slacko bc the RAM is so low. My question is, after having read (watched videos) on the subject of nLite, I'm not sure how to proceed. Like I said, I have XP 'freshly' installed in a 15gb partition and puppylinux (ext3)on the other 5gb. Can I do the whole nLite process, in XP, with only 3.5gb of ntfs/hdd space remaining?

I haven't done much in technical discussions but, found you guys bc of reading up on Bold Fortune and his list of what each XP file does...man coo dos to that guy. (still never found the list, saw it on a video) Thanks in advance for the help and also to Bold Fortune bc if it weren't for him I'd a never found you

Edited by H4rdKn0cks

You are using 10 gigs of space with just the updates? That doesn't seem right if so.

Instead of spending "3 straight days" on updating, you can slipstream the updates into your SP3 CD by using nLite and my UDC script.

Welcome to MSFN

First off even after updates your space taken should not be anywhere near 10gigs... 2.5-5gigs with updates is pretty reasonable. (Doing it the standard way of course)

Second PLEASE change your title that is a very generic title and will cause your thread to be overlooked by allot of people.

Now go here = http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7184 and dl this update pack please. When you use nLite add this in and it contains all of the critical windows updates. (This will save you a metric crap load of time and space overall)

Now yes you have plenty of space for "mixing" a SP3 custom disk.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

I downloaded all of the Important Updates @ Update Manager web page including .NET 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x, I've never installed XP w/o ticking the auto updating feature from install so, I was flying blind. I thought I would save myself space by leaving the XP SP3 install stripped of any updates. All I was going to do was install iTunes and Audacity (to transfer cassette tapes to .mp3) but, Audacity needed another file to go with it (which needed .NET 3.x to install)...all down hill from there.

So, my understanding is that I can use the 3.5gb remaining on ntfs to complete the nLite CD. Is it possible to get a list of files REQUIRED to run IE and iTunes only? So I can get rid of the rest. Is that even feasible? (I cant imagine needing anything else) Thanks again for you time and I'll keep the TITLE in mind next time. TY.

If you've used Windows Update, go to WINDOWS\Software Distribution\Download and delete everything inside. That should free up some space.

If you're going with nLite and creating a new CD, then all of the above given advices are really useful.

Cheers

I have deleted everything inside WINDOWS\Software Distribution\Download and it yielded about a 500mb difference. I've also looked into both of the Update Packs. It seems to me, bc of the dates on the comments on: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7184 that this UDC: http://xdot.tk/updates.html is more current. Am I correct? Is there a difference?

@-X- thank you very much :thumbup I wasn't quite sure how to interpret the Footnote changes though. Could you simplify the process of making the changes...not sure what that means. TY If this all works out, I have no problem with a donation thanking you for all of your hard efforts.

Edited by H4rdKn0cks

I wasn't quite sure how to interpret the Footnote changes though. Could you simplify the process of making the changes...not sure what that means.

Not sure what you mean. Can you give me some specifics or something you're having trouble understanding?

Edited by -X-

I'll keep the TITLE in mind next time. TY.

You can still change it as we now have 2 identical meaningless titles next to each other and it's getting ridiculous. Please edit your first post then click on the "use fuill editor" button to change the title.

From the http://xdot.tk/updates.html website:

"Internet Explorer 8 - If you want to slipstream Internet Explorer 8, download this add-on creator and replace the updates mentioned in footnotes 4, 5 and 6. The add-on creator will download the IE8 installer and turn it into an add-on that can be used with nLite. Credits to OnePiece!"

How do I replace the updates mentioned in the footnotes? Does the Add-On Creator automatically replace these drivers or manually somehow? Also is there an IRC chat specific to nLite users, you would recommend?

After searching the web a bit, doing some reading, I have found a couple of ways to run nLite (Not just one, for guys like me) and I just want to make sure I am doing what will work for me. I am looking to run iTunes with XP Home on a 20gb hdd (15g ntfs & a 5g linux partition) on an Evo N400c. I've been using PuppyLinux_slacko5.3.1 for three weeks now (hence the name h4rdkn0cks) and it has been my introduction to Linux and discussion boards. I would like to accomplish this as painlessly as possible. I am grateful for any advice in reaching this goal.

Sorry for the newbie issues. Thanks again for your patience while I fumble around looking for a shirttail and my woobie.

Edited by H4rdKn0cks

The UDC script does not replace them. You need to do it manually once the script has finished downloading/creating add-ons.

4 If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2647516-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2647516-x86-ENU.exe.

5 If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.

6 If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe.

Edited by -X-

From the http://xdot.tk/updates.html website:

Internet Explorer 8

If you want to slipstream Internet Explorer 8, download this add-on creator and replace the updates mentioned in footnotes 4, 5 and 6. The add-on creator will download the IE8 installer and turn it into an add-on that can be used with nLite. Credits to OnePiece!

????

1 - First, create a download folder, then download, unzip, and run the "base" package in that folder.

2 - Then in a separately created folder, download the IE8 "add-on creator" and the three IE8 Updates into it and run the Add-On Creator.

3 - Delete (or move elsewhere) the three IE6 Updates mentioned and use instead the IE8 set (total of four files).

The above method may help your confusion (you could just do step#1, then step#3, then step#2 in the step#1's folder).

Your highlite says it all...

edit - Oops! -X- already posted (day late, dollar short...)

Edited by submix8c