Can't turn Windows Firewall on

When I try to turn Windows Firewall on, I get this message. "WINDOWS FIREWALL CAN'T CHANGE SOME OF YOUR SETTINGS. ERROR CODE 0X80070424"

I was running Avira for awhile which had its own firewall, but I removed it about a week ago and went back to Microsoft Sercurities Essentials. I remember when I removed Avira, I got a message Did I want to turn the Windows Firewall on again, and I said yes. I assume it was turned on again, but not sure. I am running Windows 7. I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode, it found nothing. I then ran CCleaner in safe mode. it found the regular cookies etc but nothing bad. I also did the registry thingy in CCleaner. I then ran Superantispyware, it found nothing. I then did that Microsoft Fix It, no better. same problem. Help. suggestions, please. Mike

Error message 0x80070424 when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates, or when you launch Windows Firewall

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968002/en-us

Error Code 0x80070424 with Windows Firewall and "Base Filtering Engine Service" Not available in services database list.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/12/27/error-code-0x80070424-with-windows-firewall-and-quot-base-filtering-engine-service-quot-not-available-in-services-database-list.aspx

Tripredacus and MagicAndre1981. Thank you so much for the info. I did NOT have that "BASE FILTERING ENGINE SERVICE" in SERVICES.MSC

I downloaded those two downloads 1055.BFE.reg and also 0677.mpssvc.reg and followed the instructions. The instructions gave a lot of detail for the BFE to be installed in the registry etc, but there were no additional instructions for the other download 0677.mpssvc.reg, other than being told that it WAS added to the registry. Anyway all is GOOD.

After I rebooted and started the BFE per the instructions, I WAS able to start the Windows Firewall. Again-----thank you soooo much. I am a happy camper, Mike

I ran into this exact problem on a Foundation Server, where the BFE service was missing. I did get this same fix done, but never figured out how that service disappeared. For that client, he said it happened to multiple servers (all Foundation) in a period of the last 6 months. I would imagine that it still happens, however since I gave him the fix, he has stopped calling me. :rolleyes: