Get The Classic Start Menu - WIndows 8 DP

Nope unfortunately that's not possible because by fundamental design, it is first and foremost a classic flyout style menu which Ivo and I believe is a betterapproach

for me not. This is my main issue with ClassicStartmenu. Otherwise I would install it everywhere :(

Nope unfortunately that's not possible because by fundamental design, it is first and foremost a classic flyout style menu which Ivo and I believe is a betterapproach

for me not. This is my main issue with ClassicStartmenu. Otherwise I would install it everywhere :(

You mean you also prefer a more compact drop down style where the folders expand vertically (Vista/7 style?) :) Or some other reason?

Yes that I can understand how it's better in some cases. As a compromise, Classic Start Menu can be compacted very much by checking "Small icons" in Skin options, using a single column main menu skin, changing the column style of sub-menus to single column, removing the caption as well. And the width of the both main and sub-menus can be reduced too. That way, it will overlap very little with what you are doing on the screen.

xpclient,

Wow, I have to admit that looks pretty compact! I wouldn't even have to "restore down" windows to see what's in them. Beautiful wallpaper, BTW. B)

Thanks for the description, too -- this would work for me. :)

--JorgeA

You mean you also prefer a more compact drop down style where the folders expand vertically (Vista/7 style?) :)

Yes, I like the Vista/7 style It is MUCH, MUCH better for me. I always hated the classic flyout style menu, that's why I've hammerd my desktop with icons in Win95. Starting with Vista this changed because of the new Menu layout.

• 3 months later...

The latest Classic Shell 3.6.2 adds jump lists and ability to launch Windows Store apps from a neat sub-menu, along with faster skipping of the Start screen. Enjoy. thumbup.gif

movr8.png

Edited by xpclient

• 4 months later...

We have released a skin for Classic Shell over at Winaero. :)

It looks good in Windows 8, much better than default skins. The skins shipping as part of Classic Shell do not match the look of the Windows 7 Start Menu or the style of Windows 8. Many settings also need to be heavily tweaked to get a more closer look. We tried to match the look on Windows 8 while making some changes from the Windows 7 style. For example, the skin has square corners, not rounded corners, like Windows 8 has. Also, because Windows 8 no longer has blur or glow, the glass is replaced by simple transparency, just like the Windows 8 taskbar uses. Semi-transparent Start Menu without blur makes the content behind it much harder to read, so we made the skin with very subtle transparency, that keeps the content behind it readable.

Download link: http://winaero.com/b...-classic-shell/

Please read the provided FAQ there.

Sample:

lQwlWHK.png

J7ani0D.png

Edited by xpclient

• 4 weeks later...

I've thought of an advantage to ClassicShell that maybe hasn't been brought up much...

Consistency across platforms!

I have it running on Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 machines at the moment.

I have Vista x64 on an old workstation that now serves as a file server. I don't log into it much, but after having switched to ClassicShell on my main Windows 7 workstation, I found myself wanting the UI to be better on the Vista system whenever I'd log in for maintenance or whatever... Bingo, ClassicShell solves that problem.

I run Windows 8 in a Virtual Machine for development and testing. Bingo, ClassicShell solves the problem there too.

Gotta love an application that does its job better than Microsoft's own software and provides consistency on no fewer than THREE generations of OS. Bravo Ivo (and thanks for your part too, xpclient).

CSonVista.png

CSonWin7.png

CSonWin8.png

-Noel