Little circle on top left corner

andywarrior

Hello to all

I have this little circle on my desktop, it appears not always and it doesn't do anything

If I go on it with my cursor it changes, if I left click the circle changes from gray to green, if I Click outside it comes back to gray

The right click doesn't do anything and you can't drag it elsewhere

This happen also on my laptop, I already try to close as many processes as I can, via task manager, but without any solution

If I reboot it is not there, untill.... I don't know what activate it, I just know it makes me crazy!!!

Anyone have an idea about that?? Tks in advance

circle1.jpg

By zacarna at 2012-03-30

circle2.jpg

By zacarna at 2012-03-30

Edited by andywarrior

Well this isn't the first time I've heard of people finding things on their desktop that magically show up like this. Last time someone was asking about something similar, I recommended using the AU3 (AutoIT) Windows Info tool. This program is normally used to get detailed info from applications so they can be automated, but may also be able to tell you more info about whatever that is. You just drag the crosshairs onto that dot to see the info.

You can't download the tool separately, but is included in the main installer download.

http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/

Many tks Tripredacus for your time and for the link, right now the circle is not present, as soon as I have to meet it and managed with the program you provided me, I'll let you know the results.

For now, just many tks!!!

Ok, finally it comes up on my laptop, the program suggested me report just it is

Title: Powers supply meter

Class: SystemTray_main

Position: 0. 0

Size: 14. 14

Style: 0x94040000

ExStyle: 0x00000180

Handle: 0x00000000000301B8

No others info are provided, I try a google search but with no results, if anyone have a suggestion will be welcome, for sure ;)

Tks again in advance

That is still not a lot of info, as your google search leads you to believe. This is similar info that can be read of Firefox. So for now, what is the make and model of the notebook? Does it still have the original OS on it or did you format and install your own? Same question about the desktop.

You can also use another program (might be better than Au3info now that I think of it.) It is Process Explorer. It also has a little crosshair you can drag over the program. It would then find what process that program is using. Note that it may pick out a Windows service like svchost.exe or another.

Hello Tripredacus, tks for your time

On both computers I have the original OS, win ultimate sp1 x64, what I'm thinking is that 100% of the programs installed are equal for both, so maybe a new version of a program give me that circle.

I use to keep everything updated on my systems, using SuMO software released by KCSoftwares, so actually I can not understand which is responsible of that circle, especially because it can appear now, I reboot to kill it, and then need days nor weeks to have it back again, and I'm not able ti identify what trigger it on.

Like now, for example, before to open my browser window it was not there, after this reply, I close the browser window and it can be there.....

I'll keep ready to use the process explorer program for the next time, so now you know why you don't see me here so often for this kind of trouble ;)

Tks for now and have a nice time :)

Well that is OK, if you aren't in a rush then neither am I. :)

Also you can go look in the Task Scheduler to see what it could be. It might show back up because of one of those. Honestly, I never went into there on Win7 until just now and I am surprised how many tasks I have in there. :blink:

Well that is OK, if you aren't in a rush then neither am I. :)

Also you can go look in the Task Scheduler to see what it could be. It might show back up because of one of those. Honestly, I never went into there on Win7 until just now and I am surprised how many tasks I have in there. :blink:

Yes, I remember the scheduled tasks were a lot, and I disabled many of them, but maybe now there is one more (new program installed) triggering this circle, I'll have a look as soon as possible, it might be a good idea, tks a lot!! ;)

Hello!

Finally I have some more information and what I discovered is really funny.

So, I'm using the laptop with the battery, to preserve it I switch from max performances to balanced ones, and the circle appear.

Run Process Explorer 15.13 it say, using its crosshair, it is explorer.exe, so I killed the process and start it again (Run->explorer.exe) and the circle is not present.

I change again the power options and circle is back

So, killing explorer.exe I kill the circle, using the power options trigger the circle on

So, the power management switch that circle on, it might be ok on a laptop, but what matter with my desktop computer???

Checked the desktop computer right now: opening the power management didn't trigger the circle on..... :no:

It starts to make me crazy.... :wacko:

Edited by andywarrior

Ok now you can do the next step. Unlike ProcMon, I don't think you can export a bunch of info (you can do one at a time) in order for someone else to look at a log file. So when you open Process Explorer (ProcExp) go to View, Show Lower Pane. When this dot is present (you shouldn't have to use the crosshair anymore), click on the Explorer.exe on the top. In the lower pane it is going to show you all the things that Explorer is doing, such as files, regkeys/paths, handles, mutants, etc. You could try to screenshot the lower pane and post a link to that picture.

Also, you should do a test and try dropping the crosshair on some other place on your desktop (the wallpaper where no icon is) and see if ProcExp still says Explorer. It may be that ProcExp can't see that dot like Au3info can? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

It will do for now. The things to focus on are items listed as a Thread that are not explorer.exe. In addition, there is the Acronis .dll listed as a File early on. Sorry that's the only lead I can give atm unless someone else has an idea.

Hello and tks for your time

I have a look about the threads and for me there is nothing unusual, many of them are common to my laptop and many others not, but all are coming from installed and legitimate programs.

Should be more indicative understand what trigger the circle on my computer desktop, in this case I can try to close one precess via task manager and see what's happpen.

I suppose I'll need a lot of time to focus this thing. For now tks again for you time, very kind :yes:

Well here's a little something you can try. Make sure you don't have anything else open if you do this, as it may cause an error, BSOD or reboot.

You'll want to position the Procexp so you can see it and this circle at the same time. For each Thread that has some other thing besides explorer.exe, right click on it (for example MagicTune.exe) and click Close Handle. Procexp may give you a warning but don't worry about that. Close handles on each Thread (also don't close the procexp64 handle either) and see if the circle goes away.

Now you will notice that some programs may not like their handles closed and may reappear on you. Don't fight those ones, they aren't worth it. :lol:

Even if you find a Thread that makes that circle disappear, or even if you don't. Make sure to restart the computer when all finished as Windows may not work as expected after a round of handle closing. :whistle: