Laptop wont boot after changing motherboard

N30N

Hey there, I've got an old crappy Viglen laptop that was lying around the house. The motherboard had a fault and the in-built video card was busted. I bought another identical laptop off of ebay for £30, and when it arrived I plugged it in and tested it, and seemed to boot up okay. So I ripped the guts out of the bad laptop, and replaced them with the bits from the good one (laptops are such a pain!)

I finally got it all back together and went to try and boot it up. I plugged in the power and it clunked, then all of the lights on the laptop and the light on the power adapter blink very fast over and over. Every now and then by wiggling the the adapter you can hear the fans kick in but then they turn straight back off, and it does the blinking again. I tried a different adapter, and the same thing happened.

Seems to me like a power short, just wondered what you guys thought so I'm not just stabbing in the dark!

Thanks!

Recheck all connections (screen, fans, mem slots)

Any reason you went the hard way ? Damaged bodywork on the eBay laptop ? Emotional value of the old one ? :unsure:

Okay, I'll pull it all apart today and stick it back togther! Oh, The bodywork was fairly awful, was an ex. primary school laptop and you know the mentality of kids..

What is the exact model we are talking about?

It's a Viglen 2700T. The model I bought off of ebay is a D27ES, but they are basically identical.

It's a Viglen 2700T. The model I bought off of ebay is a D27ES, but they are basically identical.

Just in case of need :):

http://www.timerider.co.uk/laptopcpu.htm

http://elektrotanya.com/clevo_d22_d27_m22_m27_sm.zip/download.html

jaclaz

I can't seem to download the .pdf from the second link :(

Anyway, I took the laptop completely apart and then put it all back together, being very careful (it was much easier the second time round) and BAM! The same thing happened. I'm stumped.

What could be causing this? the lights (caps lock ect.) blink repeatedly around 5 times a second very dimly, and the same thing happens with the light on the power pack, to me it seems like I've not earther something but I'm sure I have put everything back exactly the way it was.. I'll keep fiddling.

EDIT- The power pack, aswell as flickering, repeatedly ticks from the transformer. I'm sure it's not the charger because I tried another one I have in a different electrical socket and it did exactly the same thing. And like I said, when the laptop arrived I plugged it into the mains and it booted up fine. :wacko:

Edited by N30N

Right, so now it's all back together. I tried another charger (different than the other two) and now every light on the laptop blinks around two times a second, everytime making a clunking sound (reminds me of a train).. What's the deal!? :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't even bothered with the laptop since my last post. I had a look through the .PDF but the majority of the information was irrelevant to me.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I really just want to get it working, I'd rather not have to take it to a shop!

Did you test the DC jack with a multimeter?

No, what sort of voltage should I be looking for?

Have you tried without cdrom/ hdd/ battery, just motherboard, CPU and memory ? Any mechanical sensor that would prevent it from starting ?

Once again no, I will try this ASAP and see what happens!

Thank you, my faith in humanity has been restored once more!

You'll need to look at 2 things. First on the bottom of the notebook (usually) or maybe in the battery compartment you will find the input voltages and amp for DC. This is what the notebook requires to work properly. You will also see similar output voltages on your power brick. Usually what I do is first test the brick and make sure that the correct values are coming out of it.

Make note of them if you want, but then you'll have to plug the brick into the notebook. There are 3 pins on the DC jack (hopefully in your case anyways) that you measure. You want to make sure you get the same values on the board as you did on the brick, presuming the brick is giving the correct values that the notebook requires.

Here are some other people's experiences:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/57027-35-power-jack-multimeter-test

Or you can look on Youtube for some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8duphd3oKw