Copying My Profile In Windows 7

crowe80

So I'm in the process of building a Windows 7 image for our company that I can save out to a share on the network to use to deploy to multiple PC's. I have my Windows 7 PC set up just the way I want it but I need to copy my profile over so some of the settings are set up for anyone who logs in such as drive mappings, printers, etc. So I know there is the whole issue of c0pying profiles over and it being disabled. So I used the Windows Enabler to help me copy my profile over. That worked great up to the point that I log in with a test account to test it and when I log in now it says I'm logged in with a temporary profile and it will not save anything once I log off. I've tried a reboot and all that but it's still happening. Is there something else I have to do when I copy my profile over to prevent this. I want users to be able to log in and save files and add icons to the desktop that they need. Thanks!

First, copying profiles manually isn't supported (and as you've found, doesn't work). You *CAN* copy the profile before you create your image, sort of - you set up the Administrator profile the way you want before you run sysprep (using the Administrator account, of course), and then in the answer file that applies the image to new machines, you set CopyProfile to true (which copies the administrator's profile to the Default User's profile before clearing it). Otherwise, you only have a few other options:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289

Why would not software that uses Shadow Copy, like Drive Image XML work? Under XP i would just copy the whole users folder by disconnecting the HD and plugging it into another PC using a $3.00 USB adapter (and the PCs own power supply, if possible). I think i also have used a Linux live CD like Puppy to do it. You could just copy it onto a USB stick now.

Are you saying that would not work with W/7?

Edited by PeaceByJesus

The only issue I have with this is that sometimes there are certain software that might need to be loaded on a PC that is already on the floor being used and this software will need a certain drive mapped for it to work. This drive will need mapped for anyone who uses the pc. So before I would just load it and map the drive, copy my profile over and delete the profiles that are already on the PC (we don't save anything locally where I work). So the next time they log in or any new users log in that drive is mapped. Now with Windows 7 it seems that sysprep is not as convenient in these circumstances. I work at a hospital so we have many nurses on one device throughout the day and night. But if it can't be done it can't be done.

You should really be using Group Policy Preferences and Group Policy to manage system-wide settings like that (a mapped drive for all users), not just the profile. Again, you *can* copy the profile, but you *must* do it in one of the supported ways. It's not because Microsoft doesn't want you doing it that the other methods are unsupported - they actually *break* now. A little known fact that Microsoft didn't support copying profiles under XP like that either (either manually or with the control panel), but left it in for backwards/appcompat reasons. It was broken then with Vista, where the profile structure totally changed (Vista and higher profiles are actually v2.0 profiles, XP and older are still the older v1.0 profile structure - they are not compatible).

I also had Vista, and as i recall i could copy program folders such as Firefox from the user folder, so i guess the issue is what needs to be copied. What would W/7 Easy Transfer (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools) accomplish in this regard to what the OP wants to do?

Edited by PeaceByJesus

Easy transfer uses the same sort of methods as USMT to copy user settings and data, but it doesn't copy profile settings - app-specific yes, data yes, but configuration options (other than things like wallpaper/backgrounds, of course) no.

As cluberti suggested, I also recommend the User State Migration Tool (USMT) for profile migration from one computer to another computer. For more information on this tool please defer to the following resources Windows 7 Walkthrough: User State Migration Tool and Windows 7: Migrating to 64-bit. It’s a good idea to be sure of all that USMT migrates as can be found in What does USMT Migrate? This is an excellent read as it outlines default migration scripts, user data, operating system components, supported applications and even what USMT does not migrate. Another helpful video that outlines the efficiency of USMT’s Hard-Link Migration feature can be found here.

A few points to note when copying user profiles is that it is important to verify the following:

• You cannot copy or delete a user profile that belongs to the currently logged on user or any user whose profile is in use.

• If you copy the profile to a new location, you must update the User Profile Path entry for the user's account to refer to this new location as well.

• You cannot use Windows Explorer or any other file management utility to copy user profiles.

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro