New Flash Player 11.2.202.228

Ok, I'll completely re-edit this.

System 1 has KeX 4.5.10.1 (2010-12-30) and Flash 11.2.202.197

System 2 has Kex 4.5.12 (2011-11-14) and Flash 11.1.102.62

I obtain NPSWF32.dll (version 11.3.300.262) and just copy that file over the existing files on both systems.

This works for system 1(all flash content is viewable on firefox 2.0.0.20) but FF crashes on system 2 when attempting to view flash content.

Comments?

What do I need to do to get Flash 11.3.300.262 working on system 2?

Edited by Nomen

Ok, I'll completely re-edit this.

System 1 has KeX 4.5.10.1 (2010-12-30) and Flash 11.2.202.197

System 2 has Kex 4.5.12 (2011-11-14) and Flash 11.1.102.62

I obtain NPSWF32.dll (version 11.3.300.262) and just copy that file over the existing files on both systems.

This works for system 1(all flash content is viewable on firefox 2.0.0.20) but FF crashes on system 2 when attempting to view flash content.

Comments?

What do I need to do to get Flash 11.3.300.262 working on system 2?

I can confirm that flash 11.3.300.262 fails on Kex 4.5.12 in the default compatibilty mode. We can try changing modes, or it should be possible to modify core.ini (via "dll.api=std" lines) to back out the API changes from Kex 4.5.10 and determine where the problem lies.

@MiKl

What version of Kex and compatibility mode are you using with Flash version 11.3.300.265?

.265 is a very minor update from .262, so perhaps .262 had a bug (related to the Kex 4.5.12 updates) that got fixed.

@MiKl

What version of Kex and compatibility mode are you using with Flash version 11.3.300.265?

.265 is a very minor update from .262, so perhaps .262 had a bug (related to the Kex 4.5.12 updates) that got fixed.

So far I have installed .265 only on one PC with Kex 4.5.12 without any of your recent updates !!

Grabbing just the dll never worked for me because SeaMonkey 2.0.14 always crashed.

So I was quite happy when Schwubs found the way with the msi-installer from Adobe's website.

No compatibility modes can be chosen on the msi.

So I was quite happy when Schwubs found the way with the msi-installer from Adobe's website.

Where (in what post) was this method described?

I downloaded this: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin.msi

And ran it. I got a pop-up box saying "A required DLL file, WINHTTP.DLL, was not found". I have this file as part of a kb patch I downloaded (kb890830-v2.8) but I don't know why I have the patch file (I never deployed it). In spite of that "dll not found" message, the above flash-player installshield wizard ran to completion and said that it has "successfully installed adobe flash player 11 plugin". I restarted the system and ran the Flash Player app in control panel. It crashed, saying "plashplayerapp caused an invalid page fault in module unicows.dll".

I went to this page: http://www.codegeek.net/flash-version.php and it said "Javascript is enabled in your browser. You have Flash player 11.3.300 installed." This page: http://www.playerversion.com/ said the same thing.

However, no movie is visible when I to go this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html and basically I can't get any flash videos to display on any page.

What's odd is that in my \SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH, there is no NPSWF32.dll file (!). I tried replacing it with several different versions but nothing worked.

I had to go to add-remove programs and un-install Flash Player 11 and then run install_flash_player_11_plugin_32bit_11.1.102.63.exe to get flash functionality back.

Edited by Nomen

Where (in what post) was this method described?

I downloaded this: http://download.macr...r_11_plugin.msi

And ran it. I got a pop-up box saying "A required DLL file, WINHTTP.DLL, was not found". I have this file as part of a kb patch I downloaded (kb890830-v2.8) but I don't know why I have the patch file (I never deployed it). In spite of that "dll not found" message, the above flash-player installshield wizard ran to completion and said that it has "successfully installed adobe flash player 11 plugin". I restarted the system and ran the Flash Player app in control panel. It crashed, saying "plashplayerapp caused an invalid page fault in module unicows.dll".

I went to this page: http://www.codegeek....ash-version.php and it said "Javascript is enabled in your browser. You have Flash player 11.3.300 installed." This page: http://www.playerversion.com/ said the same thing.

However, no movie is visible when I to go this page: http://helpx.adobe.c...ash-player.html and basically I can't get any flash videos to display on any page.

What's odd is that in my \SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH, there is no NPSWF32.dll file (!). I tried replacing it with several different versions but nothing worked.

I had to go to add-remove programs and un-install Flash Player 11 and then run install_flash_player_11_plugin_32bit_11.1.102.63.exe to get flash functionality back.

Hallo Nomen,

the msi version 11.3 for other browsers should paste NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll in the SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH folder and not NPSWF32.dll. All Opera versions 10.1+ (10.1/ 10.63/ 11.64 testet) have to run with comp. mode Win2000, otherwise the player fails to work. I've tested it here on some computers. As soon the error message appears check the flash folder (F5) for the NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll.

I added the Winhttp.dll (XP version) for the Foxit Reader 5.x to the system folder. Up to now I can't see any problems with this file.

Edited by schwups

Hello Schwups. There is another method rename NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll to NPSWF32.dll and add NPSWF32.dll to the plugin directory of Kmeleon Firefox or Opera or what ever other browser you use then Internet explorer and flash works.

the msi version 11.3 for other browsers should paste NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll in the SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH folder and not NPSWF32.dll. All Opera versions 10.1+ (10.1/ 10.63/ 11.64 testet) have to run with comp. mode Win2000, otherwise the player fails to work. I've tested it here on some computers. As soon the error message appears check the flash folder (F5) for the NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll.

I don't know if the file NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll was there (it's not here now - but I might have renamed it when I first saw it). I uninstalled version 11.3 and re-installed 11.1.

I don't care about Opera. I want to know if install_flash_player_11_plugin.msi works with FF version 2.0.0.20.

On one win-98 system I did get 11.3.300.262 working just by copying the DLL, but that method didn't work on another system (see post #77).

I don't know if the file NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll was there (it's not here now - but I might have renamed it when I first saw it). I uninstalled version 11.3 and re-installed 11.1.

I don't care about Opera. I want to know if install_flash_player_11_plugin.msi works with FF version 2.0.0.20.

On one win-98 system I did get 11.3.300.262 working just by copying the DLL, but that method didn't work on another system (see post #77).

Hallo Nomen,

I downloaded for testing FF portable 2.0.0.20, installed it and I have done the NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll file in the plugin folder of the port. app (C:............\FirefoxPortable\Data\plugins). Then I renamed this file to NPSWF32.dll. It works here!

Also works for me to start FF 2 with comp. mode XP ( C:\............\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox\firefox exe ). Condition is that NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll is still in the system/.../flash folder.

Edited by schwups

When I run the install_flash_player_11_plugin.msi installer from the \SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH directory, and if I have winhttp.dll also located in that directory (as well as my windows and \system directory), I get this:

===========

Error Starting Program

The flashplayerupdateservice.exe file is linked to missing export advapi32.dll:ChangeServiceConfig2W.

===========

After dismissing that error, the installer runs to completion and says flash was installed correctly. At this point, the following new files appear in the \system\macromed\flash directory:

FlashUtil32_11_3_300_265_Plugin.exe

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe

NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll

The file FlashInstall.log also appears, but it has a size of zero bytes.

At this point, FF2 has lost the ability to play flash (but it does not crash when attempting to play flash). the Adobe "find version" page indicates no flash version or functionality.

There is nothing new or different in my \Mozilla Firefox\plugins directory. If I copy the file NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll to that directory, nothing changes. If I rename that file to NPSWF32.dll, nothing changes. However, if I rename NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll to NPSWF32.dll in the \system\macromed\flash, then bingo - flash is now working. But I think I know why it is working even though I've done all this before.

What is different this time is that I made sure I had the following in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

"Version" = "Windows NT" (*)

"VersionNumber" = "5.1" (*)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

"CurrentVersion" = 5.1 (**) (?)

"Version" = "Windows NT" (**)

"VersionNumber" = "5.1" (**)

(*) These values were changed

(**) These values were not present at all so they were added

(?) I don't know if this is a valid or necessary value

The previous values for Version and VersionNumber in the \Windows\CurrentVersion registry key were for win-98 - not win-2k.

I'm guessing that the file winhttp.dll is not necessary at all for the flash MSI installer to work correctly.

When I run the install_flash_player_11_plugin.msi installer from the \SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH directory, and if I have winhttp.dll also located in that directory (as well as my windows and \system directory), I get this:

===========

Error Starting Program

The flashplayerupdateservice.exe file is linked to missing export advapi32.dll:ChangeServiceConfig2W.

===========

After dismissing that error, the installer runs to completion and says flash was installed correctly.  At this point, the following new files appear in the \system\macromed\flash directory:

FlashUtil32_11_3_300_265_Plugin.exe

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe

NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll

The file FlashInstall.log also appears, but it has a size of zero bytes.

At this point, FF2 has lost the ability to play flash (but it does not crash when attempting to play flash).  the Adobe "find version" page indicates no flash version or functionality.

There is nothing new or different in my \Mozilla Firefox\plugins directory.  If I copy the file NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll to that directory, nothing changes.  If I rename that file to NPSWF32.dll, nothing changes.  However, if I rename NPSWF32_11_3_300_265.dll to NPSWF32.dll in the \system\macromed\flash, then bingo - flash is now working.  But I think I know why it is working even though I've done all this before.  

What is different this time is that I made sure I had the following in the registry:

"Version" = "Windows NT"  (*)

"VersionNumber" = "5.1"  (*)

"CurrentVersion" = 5.1  (**) (?)

The previous values for Version and VersionNumber in the \Windows\CurrentVersion registry key were for win-98 - not win-2k.

I'm guessing that the file winhttp.dll is not necessary at all for the flash MSI installer to work correctly.

Why do you have these registry entries? Generally there is no need. In individual cases it can be necessary to fake the OS version for a setup. It's recommended to delete the string "CurrentVersion 5.1" afterwards. CurrentVersion=5.1 is to fake windows XP.

(here, watch me trim this quote to include only the relevant portion to make for better read-ability)

"Version" = "Windows NT" (*)

"VersionNumber" = "5.1" (*)

"CurrentVersion" = 5.1 (**) (?)

Why do you have these registry entries? Generally there is no need. In individual cases it can be necessary to fake the OS version for a setup. It's recommended to delete the string "CurrentVersion 5.1" afterwards. CurrentVersion=5.1 is to fake windows XP.

I thought it was standard procedure to have to always change the "version" info in the registry (as in the above keys) to make the flash installer believe it's running on some version of NT (win-2k in this case).

I didn't think it was possible to install any version of flash 10 or higher unless you did that. Am I wrong? (but if I'm wrong - why was it necessary in this case?)

Only for Flash Player versions 10.0.xx you had to fake the OS. ... why was it necessary in this case? Think it's a difference of the installer version check. It isn't nessessary for all other versions (comp. mode default)! 

AFAIK it's always recommended to change back the Version and VersionNumber  (98SE: 4.10.2222 or 4.10.2222A).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion: Default (value not set). And nothing else.