IFSHLP.SYS from win3.11... is it safe to use with FAT32 (dos from win

keropi666

Hello!

after having troubles getting wfw3.11 networking to work I found that one needs to load 3.11's IFSHLP.SYS and not the one from win98 (assuming one works with DOS fron 98SE that has fat32 support: see thread here for the network problem)

Now an important question is:

Is wfw3.11 IFSHLP.SYS safe to use on a FAT32 formatted drive?

I understand ifshlp is a a driver to make direct system calls to the filesystem, but I am wondering if a FAT32 partition could be damaged from this older IFSHLP.SYS ...

As always comments/help are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! :thumbup

On a quite superficial inspection, I'd say I guess it *is* safe. In fact, the older IFSHLP.SYS is bigger (4548 bytes) and has more functionality than the later one (3708 bytes), and almost all the code in the later one is contained in slightly modified form in the older one, which also has more code, and hence, more functionality. Yet, a closer analysys should be done to ensure no patching is needed. But I think it's safe enough for you to test the older one in your Wfw 3.11, although that's just my first impression.

thanks for the analysis dencorso ! :thumbup

I have cloned my DOS HDD and use the olde ifshlp on it (still fat32/dos98se) and haven't had any problems yet... did many reboots, transfered/deleted/expanded files and had no corruption nasty surprises and scandisk always finishes with no errors...

(Both file/disk access is 16bit though, 32bit-disk is grayed out and 32bit-file makes no difference in speed so I just left it unchecked)

Perhaps that almost-1kb of size difference might be the code needed to get 3.11 to load it's networking functions...

as a sidenote I really enjoy the 3.11 gui - not for it's functionality but for it's nostalgia reasons... my first ever pc (an IBM PS1/pro) came with 3.1 installed... :wub:

thanks for the analysis dencorso ! :thumbup

I have cloned my DOS HDD and use the olde ifshlp on it (still fat32/dos98se) and haven't had any problems yet... did many reboots, transfered/deleted/expanded files and had no corruption nasty surprises and scandisk always finishes with no errors...

(Both file/disk access is 16bit though, 32bit-disk is grayed out and 32bit-file makes no difference in speed so I just left it unchecked)

Perhaps that almost-1kb of size difference might be the code needed to get 3.11 to load it's networking functions...

as a sidenote I really enjoy the 3.11 gui - not for it's functionality but for it's nostalgia reasons... my first ever pc (an IBM PS1/pro) came with 3.1 installed... :wub:

For NO apparent reason ;):

actually (and IMHO) the only thing that really *sucked* in Windows 3.11 was the windows manager (and the calculator, which still sucks big).

Have a look at what I managed to put up in minibox:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16754

http://reboot.pro/623/

minibox1.jpg

besides the looks, you may find some links of interest or you could contribute with some ideas....

jaclaz

nice project you have there jaclaz :thumbup

you inspired me to re-install Norton Desktop LOL , had to remove it though as it spoiled my nostalgia factor :whistle:

my goal of fiddling with 3.1x is pure nostalgia, mainly to play the couple of hundred original games that I own from 1989-1998 something... but I do like the "exploring" part too, it just makes some things more humane for now ((mainly FAT32)