slipnewby

OlFatGuy

I have a question about slipstreaming XP sp1. I have been told that I should add service packs in

order sp2,sp3. I have also read somewhere that I can slipstream sp3 directly into sp1. I am new

to this and thinking about trying nLite to make an install disk. What is the correct or better

way to do this?

Thanks

Olfatguy

You just need to slipstream SP3 as it has everything in SP1 and SP2. You might want to slipstream all the updates up until now. You can do this by visiting my site (link in signature) and downloading and running the UDC script.

Thanks X

I will be looking forward to using this in the future. One last question. Is this also the

same if you take on service packs through window update? Can you skip sp2 and apply sp3 through

windows update?

Thanks

Fatguy

Can you skip sp2 and apply sp3 through windows update?

No,

But yes.

For a long time, Microsoft's site has stated "Windows XP SP1a" as requirement to installing SP3 on a running system. Today it does not. Don't ask me why or if anything was really changed. But so it seems SP3 can (now ?) be applied directly to any version (through download or through WindowsUpdate) of a running system.

This was always the case for slipstreaming SP3 to an installation set of files (what we're doing here).

So it seems -X- overlooked Microsoft's change of mind and also in your precise case overlooked the fact you already do have SP1 installed (if I read your 1st sentence correctly), which lead to bphlpt's contradicting answer but with unneeded precision.

I'm not saying both are wrong, I'm just stating MS changed their mind. :angel

But so it seems SP3 can (now ?) be applied directly to any version (through download or through WindowsUpdate) of a running system.

WindowsXPServicePack1.png

I find it misleading.

I read that as "Home and Pro(SP0), SP1, SP2", anyway, confusing if you're looking for minimal requirement. Maybe I'm wrong. But I clearly recall it saying SP1a must be installed prior to SP3 which it does not say anymore. Again, maybe I'm wrong. I have no intention and no mean to test that (got no SP0). Just trying to get things clear(er) but got no grip on it.

Anywhere you look, it's confusing. The pdf for SP3 says

"Fundamentally, deploying Windows XP SP3 works the same as deploying SP1 and SP2 for Windows XP:

SP3 is cumulative, so users can install SP3 on top of Windows XP SP1 or SP2.

You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1 or SP2. For example, you can run the SP3 update package on a computer running the Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP1. The exceptions are Embedded editions for XP."

In order to install the latest Windows XP Service Pack successfully, follow the steps to check the status of your PC.
  1. Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) can only be applied on 32-bit version Windows operation sytem. To check whether your system is 32-bit or 64-bit, click
  2. Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) must be preinstalled before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3). To check which service pack is currently installed on your computer, click "To check which service pack is currently installed". To install previous Windows XP service packs, use one of the following options:
    • Click here to download Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    • Click here to download Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389