Outlook 2010- Connection to the server is unavailable

Cyrius

I am not sure if this should be in the server side area, but I am having issues with clients connecting to Exchange 2010 via Outlook 2010.

The users do not run in cached exchange mode because I had issues there as well (computer locks, connection drops they have to re-login, got sick of the tears of my users etc) but not being in CEM requires an initial login.

All is fine and dandy but sometimes the server is shown as unavailable and I can't figure out what is causing it. I thought maybe we need more Exchange Standard CALs, but a colleague told me that the server will not reject connections because of CAL. (Not sure if this is correct). We have 45 CALs, but never 45 concurrent users.

One thing I should note is that through ADSIedit on the exchange server I have limited the size to which store.exe will grow. It was climbing up to around 20GB of memory usage and I had to put an end to that.

My gut says its the CALs, but I would like to know some of your thoughts.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things to look for. First, I would think that it would more likely be related to DNS issues. A simple way to start troubleshooting would be load BGInfo.exe on the computers and have it show you the DNS server, DHCP server and logon server. I say BGInfo because it is easy to see and use. You can of course do this from the command line as well. That may help you narrow it down to a particular DNS server or DC. Maybe one of the DC's or DNS servers doesn't have the right info or isn't replicating correctly.

The CAL's shouldn't stop it from connecting. You would also see events in the application log (I believe) telling you that your licensing is invalid.

From a client having trouble connecting you could try https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and test the Outlook options. This is a helpful tool to use for many different problems.

Note that you can enable things like transport logging in outlook by following instructions in this KB article. If you have problems with cached mode, you are likely to have REAL problems with online mode (that should have been your first hint that you needed to troubleshoot rather than turn the feature off....).