Resurrecting a 1999-Vintage Win98SE Machine

TELVM

Sure. NUSB35e is the english version of latest version of Maximus Decim's Native USB drivers for Win 98SE.

No joy either with the 'russian' drivers :( .

Another thought: your board is said to have USB 1.0 support. Although any current USB 2.0 pendrive does support USB 1.1 and 1.0, the motherboard may come with some blorked version of USB 1.0 that's too much for the pendrives... and, in any case, is way too slow. Consider adding an add-on PCI USB 2.0 card (preferably one that adds 4 ports), if at all possible.

Now that you mention it, I've got this thing from the catacombs:

7798987.jpg 7798990.jpg 7798999.jpg

However no drivers, no idea of brand or model, and it just generates an 'interrogation problem' in device manager when I insert it in the board.

Memory Hole at 15M-16M can be Disabled.

Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk should probably be Enabled for stability until you're ready to start tweaking.

Spread Spectrum can be Enabled to reduce radio and television interference.

Thanks jumper, I disabled memory hole and enabled auto detect RAM clock. But enabling spread spectrum could be a bad idea, several people tell me it can bring more trouble than peace :ph34r: .

Searching the web I found at last some good drivers for the Riva TNT2 M64: 1999-vintage Detonator 2.08s (the 'legacy' drivers that nVidia's website still offers didn't work good at all). These old drivers work like a charm :w00t: .

I also found an ancient version of CPU-Z that gives CPU frequency with decimals, i.e. 434.3 MHz :lol: .

It's a venerable VIA 6202! worship.gif

Whatever the maker/brand of the board, provided it's not dead/broken, VIA's own reference drives will recognize it!

The multilanguage pack is downloadable from the official link (viaarena).

DOH!!! Where was my beanie-noodle? U R absolutely correct! Via chipsets work best when all Via drivers are installed (including the Video and IDE stuff). Edited by submix8c

Whatever the maker/brand of the board, provided it's not dead/broken, VIA's own reference drives will recognize it!

The multilanguage pack is downloadable from the official link (viaarena).

Thanks a lot for that info Dencorso worship.gif , we could be in the right path now, I installed those drivers and device manager no longer shows a 'question mark' error:

7816329.jpg

Concentrador de raiz USB = USB Root Hub

Controladora de host universal = Universal Host Controller

I suspect there are too many things in there, should I delete some items :huh: ?

However when I insert a USB flash drive in the VIA VT6202 PCI USB card, yet another 'USB Root Hub' appears, with an exclamation mark error :wacko: :

7816401.jpg

I right click properties on the exclamation error and it says:

7816435.jpg

Which I think translates as: 'Due to hub transfer request failure, a hub has been disabled. Check the cables and devices in your computer and then restart '.

Seems we are almost there but there is still some bug, any ideas?

Any pendrive or just a specific one?

But even befor I read your reply, do the following, please:

1) Create an arbitrary folder, and name it, say, "seguro", it could be C:\SEGURO, for instance.

2) Go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS, find USBHUB20.SYS, and copy it to C:\SEGURO.

3) Install NUSB 3.3 Spanish.

Another thing, did you disable the onboard USB controller in the BIOS? If you're using PS/2 mouse and keyboard, that should be the safe thing to do.

1) Create an arbitrary folder, and name it, say, "seguro", it could be C:\SEGURO, for instance.

Since I am in picky mood, you mean:

1) Create an arbitrary a new folder, and name it arbitrarily, say, "seguro", it could be C:\SEGURO, for instance.

Actual arbitrary folders are very difficult to create.... ;)

jaclaz

Any pendrive or just a specific one?

Anyone at hand.

But even befor I read your reply, do the following, please:

2) Go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS, find USBHUB20.SYS, and copy it to C:\SEGURO.

3) Install NUSB 3.3 Spanish.

Done done done and no change in device manager, same exclamation mark problem and pendrives not recognized.

Both mouse and keyboard are PS/2 in the dino.

Another thing, did you disable the onboard USB controller in the BIOS? If you're using PS/2 mouse and keyboard, that should be the safe thing to do.

The closest thing to 'disable onboard USB controller' I can find in BIOS is 'USB Keyboard Support', which is set to 'Disabled'.

Perhaps disabling some of the items under 'USB controllers' in the device manager? I mean this style:

disable2.jpg

Edited by TELVM

Not sure, but...

"Assign IRQ for USB" -

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/7778517/img/7778517.jpg

You're picking up the (old) Intel one...

You could TRY going into SAFE MODE (the only way to see old/hidden) and UNINSTALL all USB-related items, then reboot into BIOS and try disabling (ref the photo) IRQ->USB assignment , then see if Windows "picks up" ONLY the VIA Add-In (and make sure the Drivers are "findable" or maybe need to reinstall).

Seems you are having more problems with the Intel (on-board USB1.1) than the VIA (Add-in USB2.0).

submix8c certainly has a point there.

But, on a machine that has problematic USB 1.0 onboard controller, the ACPI is usually even worse and sends people on wild-goose chases.

So let's do away with both.

Inside windows, open regedit and navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect, and then add as a new dword value:

ACPIOption=2.

Close regedit and shut down the machine.

Turn it on again, and go into BIOS, and change all of the followng settngs as indcated:

====

Anti-Virus Protection: Disabled

====

Memory Hole at 15M-16M: Disabled

====

ACPI Function: Disabled

PM Control by APM: Yes

====

PNP OS Installed: No

Resources Controlled By: Manual

Reset Configuration Data: Enabled (it'll disable itself after ONE reboot)

Assign IRQ for USB: Disabled

====

Let windows boot into safe mode and remove all USB-related items, then reboot normally and let windos redetect them all.

Let us know the outcome. Good luck!

You could TRY going into SAFE MODE (the only way to see old/hidden) and UNINSTALL all USB-related items, then reboot into BIOS and try disabling (ref the photo) IRQ->USB assignment , then see if Windows "picks up" ONLY the VIA Add-In (and make sure the Drivers are "findable" or maybe need to reinstall).

Tried as you said. Found several USB 'ghosts' when in safe-mode, then deleted everything under 'USB controllers' in device manager. Then disabled 'Assign IRQ for USB' in BIOS. On restart Windows, asking for Win98 installation CD, reinstalled everything again as in the picture I posted above:

7816329.jpg

But when I inserted a pendrive its light began flashing AT LAST! :w00t: Then came a message 'new hardware found' and I let Windows search for the most suitable driver for the new device, installed it, and finally the pendrive was recognized, and it appears as 'E: extractable disk' in Windows Explorer :w00t: .

HOWEVERRRRR ... the instant I click on E: , Windows frozes and hungs :o:} . No BOD, but I have to reset.

Seems you are having more problems with the Intel (on-board USB1.1) than the VIA (Add-in USB2.0).

May be I could try the procedure again, and this time cancelling the installation of any USB drivers, except the VIA add-in USB2.0 ones (which I think are the last two lines under 'USB Controllers' in the picture)?

... add as a new dword value ACPIOption=2 ...

Just to be sure: Hexa, decimal, or doesn't matter? :ph34r:

Turn it on again, and go into BIOS, and change all of the followng settings as indicated.

Sorry Dencorso, I'm not sure exactly which following settings are you referring to? :unsure:

In RegEdit, go to

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect

RIGHT-CLICK "DETECT" (on left pane) and a "window" will appear

...and then add as a new dword value: (etc)

Odd that the Intel item reappeared. May be irrelevant. The only thing you did was "deallocate" the IRQ to "free" it for the USB Add-In, so...

edit - dencorso...

THIS BIOS entry?

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/7778513/img/7778513.jpg

"ACPI Enabled"

Edited by submix8c

In RegEdit, go to

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect

RIGHT-CLICK "DETECT" (on left pane) and a "window" will appear

...and then add as a new dword value: (etc)

Roger Wilco :ph34r: . But must I mark hexa or decimal before entering the '2', i.e. :

dword1-1.gif

When you ADD a new value, it's irrelevant. The sheer fact that you are doing a DWORD (from the LEFT SIDE) will create a VALUE on the RIGHT and will be a "2" (no matter what Numeric BASE you use). You MIGHT have to "rename" it to the indicate NAME given above (ref. that link dencorso gave).

edit - dencorso...

THIS BIOS entry?

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/7778513/img/7778513.jpg

"ACPI Enabled"

Sure.

:blink:

Well, sorry! My keyboard froze and I had to reboot.

It seems my latest edit before that to my post #25 never really made it to the forum. :blushing:

So...

Please, do re-read my post #25 above, for now I've added the BIOS settings I intended to have changed.

My aim is to move from ACPI to APM.

Sorry again, folks! :blushing:

@TELVM: hexadecimal 2 = decimal 2 so you may choose either. But I should have said so, earlier.

Then again, thanks to my keyboard, I didn't get the chance to before. Sorry!