Superseding updates in WSUS

labist

When I check some specific update in WSUS console it says "This update is superseded by another update we recommend that

you verify it is no longer needed by any other computer To do so first approve the superseding Update"

My question is that how to find "superseding Update"? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

The easiest way to find them is in the console of WSUS. The updates can be filtered down. You can also remove them from the console cleanup tool. I run that every few weeks to get rid of the superseded updates.

• 4 weeks later...

If you go to your list of approved updates, right click on the column headers and select "supercedence", then you can sort the list based on supercedence and decline anything that is superceded by another update and cleanup tool will then clear out the declined updates.

It's my understanding that the cleanup tool is SUPPOSED to auto-decline superceded updates, but it never has for me, so I googled it and that's how I learned to get around it since other people apparently had the problem, so every month after I synchronize, I sort by supercedence, decline anything that is superceded, then run the cleanup tool.

Edited by VoodooV