Four new Betas released today

I discovered the setting in some of the early 79xx Builds, but this only applies to Server with Desktop Experiencing Role. If you don't install the Desktop-Exp Role Server boots to desktop, but if you add the role it boots this Metro-thing.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Well, I ran into a roadblock trying to set up a new partition for the CP. Disk Management told me it could not create it because I already had the maximum number of partitions on the hard disk. (In addition to Windows 7 and the DP, it contains a recovery partition and a 100MB system partition.)

I was following the instructions given here (for the DP, but the version shouldn't matter), using all the default settings (new simple volume, quick format, etc.) and a partition size of 40GB.

Unless I can find a way around this, it looks like I'll have to either wipe out the DP or do without the CP. :}

--JorgeA

-Canceling print jobs that actually works! Even if it requires new driver model.

This right here is possibly one of the longest lasting bugs. Its the worst thing when a print job gets stuck for some reason. And then they handily give you options like Restart, Cancel, whatever but they rarely work when the job is stuck. Then you have to go through the process of rebooting the printer and/or computer and hope and pray that the print job goes away!

-A better shell than cmd.exe

What about the PowerShell prompt? I never use it myself...

-getting rid of thumbs.db and desktop.ini files all over the place

Thumbs was definately a scourge during XP, but I haven't noticed it too much in 7. As far as Desktop.ini, it is one reason why I don't choose the option to show hidden files, since when you do you get two desktop.ini on the Desktop. I know why they are there but come on...

Speaking of which, what if there was a way to show hidden files just in certain folders? Say i want to see everything in the Windows folder or AppData, but I don't need to see everything else unless I want to!

In addition to Windows 7 and the DP, it contains a recovery partition and a 100MB system partition

That's because you have 3 primary partitions already. Your Win7, Win8 and recovery partition are primary. So that's likely what your limit is. Try using a VHD install instead to a USB key/HDD.

In addition to Windows 7 and the DP, it contains a recovery partition and a 100MB system partition

That's because you have 3 primary partitions already. Your Win7, Win8 and recovery partition are primary. So that's likely what your limit is. Try using a VHD install instead to a USB key/HDD.

Tripredacus,

Hmm, I've never used a virtual drive before. Not something I've explored. Guess there's always a first time, but this means learning how to do that before I can try out the Win8 CP. Bummer.

Wish it were possible to try a live DVD with Windows as you can with so many Linux distros. Having downloaded and burned the Win8 CP ISO to a disc, I wonder if something like this might work.

--JorgeA

What about the PowerShell prompt? I never use it myself...

PowerShell runs as any other program, under crappy old cme.exe, but yes, there's the PowerShell ISE as well. Still, cmd.exe kinda sucks.

Thumbs was definately a scourge during XP, but I haven't noticed it too much in 7

On a network with both OS'es mixed you still see plenty of it...

As far as Desktop.ini, it is one reason why I don't choose the option to show hidden files, since when you do you get two desktop.ini on the Desktop. I know why they are there but come on...

If you delete them enough times they actually go away. But yes, totally an unnecessary pain.

Speaking of which, what if there was a way to show hidden files just in certain folders? Say i want to see everything in the Windows folder or AppData, but I don't need to see everything else unless I want to!

I'm not aware of such a feature unfortunately.

-getting rid of thumbs.db and desktop.ini files all over the place
Thumbs was definately a scourge during XP, but I haven't noticed it too much in 7.
On a network with both OS'es mixed you still see plenty of it...

The thumbnail cache can be disabled in XP and Win7 with any of the following registry entry codes. A reboot may be required.

INF

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","DisableThumbnailCache",0x10001,1

REG

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

CMD

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /F /V "DisableThumbnailCache" /T REG_DWORD /D 1

Edited by 5eraph

The thumbnail cache can be disabled in XP and Win7 with any of the following registry entry codes.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But again, it just takes the one user without it, and your network shares will be chuck full of the said garbage files. Too much hassle :(

Then again, it's not the biggest issue on my list. Not by a long shot. And that list isn't remotely complete either. I'm just saying that there is so much stuff that really needs to be solved and work out of the box, some of it which has been an issue for over a decade, and instead they give us this Metro crap we don't want of. Instead of making what they had (desktop) shine, they turned the desktop in a big mess (screwing up everything they had) to hopefully gain traction in the mobile space which won't happen anyway: they've never done well, their marketing sucks, their online services suck, they have a tendency to just kill their own products (Zune? PlaysForSure? Windows Mobile? Kin? etc), and here they offer absolutely *nothing* over Android or iOS devices which are both mature, well entrenched, and have tons of nice apps. The only way to win is not to play.

MagicAndre,

Thank you very much, that did the trick! :thumbup

And thanks @Tripredacus for suggesting this approach. :yes:

Now the boot screen gives three OS choices. B)

You know what I'll be doing this weekend...

--JorgeA

Prior to Windows 8 I have used VHD to boot bitlocker-protected variants of Windows 7 (for normal use) and Windows Server 2008 R2 (for Hyper-V) without doing multiple partitions. With Windows 8 client and Hyper-V on a SLAT enabled system, though, I won't need to do that anymore.

It didn't allow me to install WCP over the current WDP! I had to format the partition and install WCP fresh new. I have no complaints so far after a day of using it.

Ah, although the Windows Experience Index has a new scale from 1.0 to 9.9, my computer score is the same as before; 4.9!

Edited by Aloha

It didn't allow me to install WCP over the current WDP! I had to format the partition and install WCP fresh new. I have no complaints so far after a day of using it.

I think all MS Beta OSes are upgrade locked, aka you can't upgrade them using Windows Setup.