paokkerkir

Hello. I Have one PC with 2 hdds, and the steps done are:

Format both hdds.

Install WinXP Pro 1st HDD.

Format 2ndHDD as FAT32

Install BootMagic and configured to start the 1st hdd as XP and 2nd as 98se

Disable in BIOS the 1st HDD and install windows 98se

re-enable 1st hdd and bootmagic worked correct

Now, I wanted to install Windows NT4 in an other partition, so I created fat16 partition on the start of the first hdd (with partition magic), and made it active.

Then I booted with the nt4 cd and istalled nt in this partition.

After installation I configured bootmagic again, so it has 3 options, but NT is always giving me stop 0x7b Inaccesible_boot_device.

With all this in mind, can I revert to the XP bootloader? And what settings do I Have to use?

After installation I configured bootmagic again

I guess bootmagic is installed on 1st and Active partition before you install NT4 but then shifted to 2nd and not active partition after your NT4 install. Somehow when you configure it (you don't say "reinstall") it has to change something to be able to boot again (make that 2nd partition active ???).

Edited by Ponch

• 2 months later...

But I wonder, does a PC running a hypervisor count as a multi-boot system? :w00t:

Not only it does NOT count, it is also considered cheating :w00t:, you could get kicked out of *any* serious multibooters club for mentioning it :ph34r:;)

jaclaz

but Microsoft began hating multiboots,

if weren't for the protests, M$ will enforce secure-boot on Desktop with only Vendor could handle the key-signings,

and never gives such key-handling rights to the hardware owner.

Thats right, M$ actually want to change concept of 'Computer owner' into 'Computer-user Licensee'.

but Microsoft began hating multiboots

"Began" ?

It's been so since the beginning, they even infiltrated us with propaganda agents... :ph34r::D

From an other thread:

Or I can make one extended partition 200 GB, and 3 logical ones in that.

That is the advised approach. :)

The original theory of MS is that you have one (and only one) primary partition and one (and in this case only one is possible anyway) extended partition containing all the other volumes.

One primary partition, one boot possibility, one OS to rule them all. :w00t::D

@NATO -

First, you've been posting on old/older topics.

Second - ONE PC - MULTI-BOOT!!!!

I have 3 on mine. ;)

I have TWO on mine I have to confess - \Ö/ - but they are both identical XP Pro SP3 installations produced using nLite to remove all the unnecessary 'features'.

One on C: and one on D:

If anything goes wrong on one I just switch to the other and sort it out easily.

E.G. Deleting the pagefile.sys is a piece of cake and defragmenting with the standard defrag plus Sysinternals Config produces perfect file structures with no pagefile.sys in the way.

;-)

Well, it is strange that MS hates multiboot BUT provides in their own NT bootmanagers/bootloaders the possibility to chainload a bootsector AND has made all NT systems "by design" capable of running from a logical volume inside extended (and yes that is how they should be installed, since NT 3.5).

jaclaz

@NATO -

First, you've been posting on old/older topics.

So? I am old anyway!

I found the answer to a problem I posted FIVE years ago only yesterday!

A registry modification for 2000 which nobody knew worked with XP. (NT based...)

This is an 11 year old 1.0GHz 512MB RAM 2000 system which has had 98se, ME (ugh!), Vista (ugh!) and XP Pro MUI on it.

Beats my original Win 3.1 with a 128MB hard drive...