Error with winME scandisk on 98SE ...

keropi666

Hiya!

(I have changed the thread completely)

I have made a fresh installation of win98SE with the mini tutorial on this site: using the Case 4 instructions to the letter.

I deleted and created the HDD partition with latest Ranish Partition Manager btw, using it's default FAT32 settings for 1 200GB partition (the whole disk)

I have installed win98SE fine, updated drivers, DX8.2, and using ScanFrag package from mgdx's site (although the scandisk/defrag files are being replaced from the mini tutorial above I used the package for the easy installing of other stuff in it). Installed also unofficial SP2 and when asked to replace ESDI_506.PDR I answered NO.

Now, the updated winME scandisk under windows complains about not enough memory (512MB DDR1 installed btw) ... I tried to use the DISKMINDER package from mdgx's site but the thing hangs at 100% of Lost Clusters check... :blink:

What am I missing here? :blushing: I have followed the instructions to the letter... :blushing:

Thanks in advance for any help :thumbup

edit: just tried norton disk doctor from NU2002: blue screen :angry: , could those errors be because ranish created 16kb clusters on a 200GB hdd? Acronis Disk Director defaults to 32kb btw...

edit2: found why scandisk did not work... scanfrag package from mdgx site has stock window98se's DSKMAINT.DLL , re-applying from BHDD31 package fixes the scandisk error :thumbup

Edited by keropi666

edit2: found why scandisk did not work... scanfrag package from mdgx site has stock window98se's DSKMAINT.DLL , re-applying from BHDD31 package fixes the scandisk error :thumbup

Yeah, that's it. :yes:

That's one of the motives I never recommend SCANFRAG. The other is I think it installs too many unnecessary things, while BHDD31 is spartan and to the point.

I kinda like the rest of the files that come with scanfrag... :blushing:

For now I extracted the sfx cab, replaced DSKMAINT.DLL with the one from BHDD31 and made my own rar sfx that silently uses the inf to install the whole package...

I also found that unofficial SP2 tries to replace ESDI_506.PDR... had to rar-sfx it too to remove it from the list of installed files (yeah I really love winrar) :yes:

All those probs are giving me more knowledge LOL :thumbup

thanks for verifying this dencorso! :)

You're welcome! :yes:

I kinda like the rest of the files that come with scanfrag... :blushing:

Please feel free to do so. Many also do. That's the beauty of having more than one choice: more people gets happy. :)

The only thing about SCANFRAG that is relevant for everybody installing it is that it needs Win ME DISKMAINT.DLL, instead of the one that comes inside it.

keropi666 told me SCANFRAG.EXE dskmaint.dll from Win98 SE has errors with newer/larger HDDs.

So I updated SCANFRAG.EXE to include both files...

http://www.mdgx.com/files/scanfrag.php

File [1.12 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SCANFRAG.EXE

Install will use by default the newer DLL from WinME, the one from Win98 SE is found as DSKMAINT.D98 (DLL renamed to D98).

Excerpt from SCANFRAG.TXT:

- %windir%\SYSTEM :

DSKMAINT.DLL 4.90.3000 (NEWer) = from WinME Setup CD

DSKMAINT.D98 (DSKMAINT.DLL renamed) 4.70.1998 (OLDer) = from Win98 SE Setup CD

NOTE:

Use OLDer file above ONLY IF ERRORS with NEWer 1 while using Defrag/ScanDisk:

1. Rename NEWer DSKMAINT.DLL to DSKMAINT.DME [in %windir%\SYSTEM].

2. Rename OLDer DSKMAINT.D98 to DSKMAINT.DLL [in %windir%\SYSTEM].

Enjoy. ;-)

MDGx

Why don't you want to update ESDI_506.PDR? Your HDD exceeds 128G, so you need LBA48 support, which if I recall correctly, means you need a patched ESDI_506.PDR.

Also, be sure your BIOS supports LBA48, else you may have some disaster in your future.

BTW, NDD crashes when it has too many files, long before you fill a typical 128G partition. Delete 'scandisk.alt' to revert to the standard scandisk.

Joe.

Why don't you want to update ESDI_506.PDR? Your HDD exceeds 128G, so you need LBA48 support, which if I recall correctly, means you need a patched ESDI_506.PDR.

Also, be sure your BIOS supports LBA48, else you may have some disaster in your future.

BTW, NDD crashes when it has too many files, long before you fill a typical 128G partition. Delete 'scandisk.alt' to revert to the standard scandisk.

Joe.

BIOS is already supporting LBA48 and I already install the patched ESDI_506.PDR on win98 setup , so the system uses it from the 1st boot. Now SP2 wants to install a different ESDI_506 that is actually older - and I don't really trust it over the patched one that I got from the thread here....