Blocking Email At The Source

I am currently using Earthlink email and download my emails using Mozilla Thunderbird.

I've been on Ask.Com and brought up a nice list of other free email applications.

I would like to do is the following :

I would like to block emails that have a certain string of characters in the sender's address. For instance,

if the address ends in "ca.in" I would like to block these emails.

I am not interested in moving said messages to a spam folder or other such folders. I am really looking

to delete said messages from the "pop server" or deleting them during the download such that they never

get downloaded at all.

Earthlink has a spam filter but only for exact email addresses or full domain names. Thunderbird lets

you examine a string of characters but only after the message is downloaded.

So --- can any application out there prevent the download of emails based on the criteria a user defines ?

I am currently using McAfee.

In the Anti-Spam section, they allow you to set up a block which contains a string

of characters in the sender's address.

I just went in and set up that block. However, I don't really know what's going to happen

to a message that is blocked.

Where will it go ? Nowhere ? I can't tell in their documentation.

Just tried McAfee.

It doesn't block incoming messages, just moves it to a folder.

I really don't want to download another application for my email.

The real solution is for the email provider to allow each user to set up a filter

for messages the user knows are spam.

Earthlink isn't set up for that. They have some kind of Known Spam routine that keeps some

emails from being downloaded. So far the spams I'm getting haven't been included in their

list of known spam.

The real solution is for the email provider to allow each user to set up a filter

Earthlink isn't set up for that. They have some kind of Known Spam routine that keeps some

emails from being downloaded. So far the spams I'm getting haven't been included in their

list of known spam.

Well, what you asked a few posts above was:

I am currently using Earthlink email and download my emails using Mozilla Thunderbird.

I've been on Ask.Com and brought up a nice list of other free email applications.

I would like to do is the following :

I would like to block emails that have a certain string of characters in the sender's address. For instance,

if the address ends in "ca.in" I would like to block these emails.

I am not interested in moving said messages to a spam folder or other such folders. I am really looking

to delete said messages from the "pop server" or deleting them during the download such that they never

get downloaded at all.

Earthlink has a spam filter but only for exact email addresses or full domain names. Thunderbird lets

you examine a string of characters but only after the message is downloaded.

So --- can any application out there prevent the download of emails based on the criteria a user defines ?

The answer is yes, two suitable applications (for two different OSes ) were suggested to you.

Whining about how much earthlink supposedly sucks and what they should provide as feature to their users may possibly result in something if told to them.

jaclaz

Final note :

I have sent Earthlink about 3 to 4 emails explaining the situation and suggesting they allow users to

set up more defined filters. I wasn't just "whining".

I don't know if they'll ever do so.

In the meantime, I just wanted to check around to see if I could do something outside of Earthlink.

Looks like downloading one of those applications is the only solution at this time.

I would like to do the following :

Examine my pending emails prior to downloading said emails. If I see known spam,

I would then block or delete those emails prior to downloading my email.

Are there any applications that contain such a function ?

You might not be whining here either, but you are being repetitive. This is the exact same issue you posted about here -

You were given two applications that should meet your needs:

Just for the record, under LInux there is Napalm:

http://www.scarpaz.com/Napalm/

A window app having (among others) a similar feature is this one:

http://www.poptray.org/

To which you responded:

So it was suggested that you complain to your email provider, Earthlink, to see if they can resolve your issue. To which you responded:

Final note :

I have sent Earthlink about 3 to 4 emails explaining the situation and suggesting they allow users to

set up more defined filters.

Looks like downloading one of those applications is the only solution at this time.

And now you're back again with the same post. At this point your posts are becoming spam.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by Tripredacus