WdmStub

jds

So despite the description at the MS download page, this SYS file looks to be for Vista, not XP. I don't know the compatiility of Vista drivers on XP. However, for Vista, the "recommended" driver model is "Kernel Mode", whereas what we're interested in is "Windows Driver Model", which is (98)/2000/XP. I don't know what the actual difference is between the two driver models, but suspect this is what is confusing/crashing 'WdmCheck'.

Thanks.

Wishlist for a next version of WDMSTUB:

_vsnwprintf

HidNotifyPresence

InterlockedPopEntrySList

InterlockedPushEntrySList

TdiCopyBufferToMdl

TdiCopyMdlToBuffer

ZwDeleteValueKey

Here's two more that might come in handy in the future.

WdfVersionUnbind

WdfVersionBind

Now I understand.

How about??? :

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,usbd.sys"

Well... maybe.

Many moons ago, Maximus-Decim himself tried (sorry, I cannot find the source for this info anymore):

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,update.sys"

(in machine.inf). What follows is my take of what happened, because MD himself is very terse: it sort of worked, but just for machines having Intel processors (even then, maybe just some of them), because update.sys applies only to intel microprocessors, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, all this was gleaned from machine-translated Russian posts, so maybe I'm not quite providing a good report of the facts.

More recently, MDGx attempted something, too, in usb20drv.inf from the pack having the same name.

However his

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"WDMSTUB.SYS,USBSTOR.SYS,<drivername>.SYS"

is not right, and doesn't work in practice... while it should be just

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"WDMSTUB.SYS,<drivername>.SYS"

in both instances, I don't know whether it has been tested like this.

Now that we're trying to go beyond USB Mass Storage devices, I think it may be worth the while of doing some rigorous tests. While USB Mass Storage devices were the only target, loading as a lower filter to USBSTOR.SYS was enough, and known to just work, so I thought about it no more. Quite recently, when working with USBSER.SYS, thanks to Drugwash's post about it, and also thanks to my recent interest in Bluetooth, and futhermore thanks to my discussions with PROBLEMCHYLD about the uSP, the fire was rekindled and fanned up, so here we are. :)

I know of at least 3 builds of v. 5.0.0.6, with different PE Timestamps. Of course, any of them is more up-to-date than v. 5.0.0.4, of which I know of just one build, the one that comes with the SoundMAX drivers.

Version 5.0.0.4 is also what you get it you download the Walter Oney CD-ROM contents and don't apply the update (I can't say if it's exactly the same as your SoundMax one, since my AD1885 driver doesn't have this).

Now I understand.

How about??? :

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,usbd.sys"

Well... maybe.

Many moons ago, Maximus-Decim himself tried (sorry, I cannot find the source for this info anymore):

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,update.sys"

(in machine.inf). What follows is my take of what happened, because MD himself is very terse: it sort of worked, but just for machines having Intel processors (even then, maybe just some of them), because update.sys applies only to intel microprocessors, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, all this was gleaned from machine-translated Russian posts, so maybe I'm not quite providing a good report of the facts.

I don't know too much about 'update.sys', but it's listed under the Processor section of Device Manager, so you may be right about it only applying to Intel processors.

I chose to nominate 'usbd.sys' because the most common situation for loading redundant copies of WdmStub are probably, as you've described, due to removable USB devices. So I figured that this one, associated with the USB host controller, would be appropriate.

So the questions, for those with appropriate hardware, are :

1. Does 'usbd.sys' also get used if you have an OHCI or EHCI controller (mine's UHCI)?

2. If you have multiple USB controllers, does each have a separate instance of 'usbd.sys'?

3. If you have an AMD-based machine, does it also use 'usbd.sys' as part of the USB stack?

Joe.

I contacted Walter Oney about updating WDMSTUB.SYS and he says, it has to be an .SYS instead of .VXD for universal purposes.

He also said the source code is included in his book which I don't mind buying but I don't know how to program.

He also said if one was to update WDMSTUB.SYS to change the name to avoid confusion.

I contacted Walter Oney about updating WDMSTUB.SYS and he says, it has to be an .SYS instead of .VXD for universal purposes.

Great! :thumbup

Since you've contacted him, do please invite him to join MSFN. His participation in this thread would be much welcome and enlightening. And he would be a really great addition to our community, even in case he currently does not have an active interest in 9x/ME anymore.

He also said the source code is included in his book which I don't mind buying but I don't know how to program.

That would be best left to our programmers, like jumper or aru. I do have his book, that's how I first learned about WDMSTUB.

He also said if one was to update WDMSTUB.SYS to change the name to avoid confusion.

Of course he shall have his wish respected. I propose the updated version, if and when we arrive at that, should be named "NUWDMST".

If you download and update per the first posting, you will also have the source code.

Interesting. This is quite different to his published advice on these matters. Yet, if we can modify and distribute under a new name, that will do for our needs! Are you able to post (quote) the relevant text from Walter?

Joe.

Interesting. This is quite different to his published advice on these matters. Yet, if we can modify and distribute under a new name, that will do for our needs! Are you able to post (quote) the relevant text from Walter?

Joe.

No because he contacted me by email. Its personal and I will not share my emails on the internet. (You are more than welcome to hack it though).

I have better things to do then to lie about what people have sent me via email. If my word is not Good, then all I do is a lie. And I'm not a liar.

And besides, how would I know the source code is offered with the book if I don't own it.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Joe.

No because he contacted me by email. Its personal and I will not share my emails on the internet. (You are more than welcome to hack it though).

I have better things to do then to lie about what people have sent me via email. If my word is not Good, then all I do is a lie. And I'm not a liar.

And besides, how would I know the source code is offered with the book if I don't own it.

Eh? Nobody is calling you a liar. Why would you think that???

It's simply a legal formality. The published license for WdmStub specifically says it cannot be redistributed except by explicit permission of Walter Oney. That's where we stand legally, unless we can prove otherwise, eg. to the people running MSFN. Only the relevant portions of the e-mail, plus the time/date information, should suffice.

As for the source code, you can either get it on the CD-ROM if you buy the book, or you can download it as described in the first posting. Of course, the benefit in buying the book is that all the stuff is explained, otherwise you have to figure it out yourself.

Joe.

Edited by jds

I bought the book years ago at a used Book Store. The Source code I have is version 4.20

I have written my own VXD File to add other functions, not in WDMSTUB.

Edited by rloew

Eh? Nobody is calling you a liar. Why would you think that???

It's simply a legal formality. The published license for WdmStub specifically says it cannot be redistributed except by explicit permission of Walter Oney. That's where we stand legally, unless we can prove otherwise, eg. to the people running MSFN. Only the relevant portions of the e-mail, plus the time/date information, should suffice.

As for the source code, you can either get it on the CD-ROM if you buy the book, or you can download it as described in the first posting. Of course, the benefit in buying the book is that all the stuff is explained, otherwise you have to figure it out yourself.

Joe.

Maybe I misunderstood you or vice versa. I posted what he sent me via email. I wasn't trying to be an a** about things. Sometimes my comprehension is off.

That's great news! :yes:

What do you think about the question of whether is it preferable to have the WDM Function/Stub provider as a .SYS or as a .VxD which I've raised some posts above?

I bought the book years ago at a used Book Store. The Source code I have is version 4.20

> Do you think its possible to update WDMSTUB.SYS with the missing exports,

> and convert it to WDMSTUB.VXD.

There is no point to having a VxD -- WDMSTUB was designed for the single

purpose of allowing WDM drivers to work across platforms, and it has to be a

.sys file to perform that function. Anyhow, the source code for WDMSTUB came

with the book. That means you can use the code as a base to build something

of your own with a different name.

--

Walter Oney, Esq.

267 Pearl Hill Road

Fitchburg, MA 01420

Tel.: 978-343-3390

http://www.oneylaw.com

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

That's great news! :yes:

What do you think about the question of whether is it preferable to have the WDM Function/Stub provider as a .SYS or as a .VxD which I've raised some posts above?

I personally prefer the VXD as it is always there just like the NT/2000/XP NTKERN.VXD that it is trying to emulate.

> Do you think its possible to update WDMSTUB.SYS with the missing exports,

> and convert it to WDMSTUB.VXD.

There is no point to having a VxD -- WDMSTUB was designed for the single

purpose of allowing WDM drivers to work across platforms, and it has to be a

.sys file to perform that function. Anyhow, the source code for WDMSTUB came

with the book. That means you can use the code as a base to build something

of your own with a different name.

--

Walter Oney, Esq.

267 Pearl Hill Road

Fitchburg, MA 01420

What he says would be true only if he expects WDMSTUB to be used on an NT platform to support a later version.

It appears that he is not claiming ownership of the source code, only the name WDMSTUB, so it should be OK to use it and extract the later Code.

Edited by rloew

What he says would be true only if he expects WDMSTUB to be used on an NT platform to support a later version.

It appears that he is not claiming ownership of the source code, only the name WDMSTUB, so it should be OK to use it and extract the later Code.

Thanks for explaining it a little better. As I said earlier, sometimes my comprehension is off. I hope I didn't offend anyone. If so please forgive me.

Thanks.

I personally prefer the VXD as it is always there just like the NT/2000/XP NTKERN.VXD that it is trying to emulate.

So we do agree on this point. BTW, v. 4.20 is still a VxD, right? It's from before he moved on to .SYS.

Sure, I think that's what he meant, too. And it may be needed for XP/2k sooner than anyone expects... (But I'll let this discussion for a new thread in the apropriate forum, later on).

Anyhow, the source code for WDMSTUB came with the book. That means you can use the code as a base to build something of your own with a different name.

--

Walter Oney, Esq.

267 Pearl Hill Road

Fitchburg, MA 01420

Yes, that's how I understand it. And he *is* a lawyer, besides being a programmer, so I think he meant precisely what he said. I *think* that using another name, and printing a message telling something like "based on WDMSTUB, by Walter Oney", should be all that's needed.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. If so please forgive me.

You rock, PROBLEMCHYLD! :thumbup

Your iniciative in contacting W. Oney was great, timely and enlightening. :yes:

@ jaclaz

Do the drivers you listed work with any bluetooth or are they specific to its own devices.

I have no idea. :ph34r:

I simply gave a possible answer to dencorso's question.

I am "The Finder", AND NOT "The Low Level Device Programmer" :sneaky: .

No worries, your English is usually exemplary (if I were more proficient in Portuguese, I might have figured out what you meant).

Just for the record (and to stir a bit the pot :whistle:) *any* latin language may have done ;):

Portuguese: dispositivo

Spanish: dispositivo

Italian: dispositivo ;)

French: dispositif

Romanian: dispozitiv

:angel

Edited by jaclaz