New with unattended Windows installs

Hello all,

I want to start with making Windows 7 Unattended installs.

My target is to build a complete automated install, that installs OS/Drivers/Applications and updates my Windows.

Now I've tried the program 7Customizer and I can build a ISO where I've added some drivers/wallpapers and modified some settings.

But this ISO doesn't install my applications etc.

Which program do you advise me to start with? And are there some complete guides around there, where all parts of making a fully unattended installation gets explaned?

Hopefully somebody can help me!

Regards,

Danny

What kind of environment do you have available to you? Having the ability to use a network, or even better, having access to an AD DC will get you different options with better manageability. Also, is this for home, small business or corporate use?

Hello Tripredacus,

This is for HOME use, at work I've experience with RIS/WDS and MDT but that's something different.

I wanna build a fully automated install for my PC and laptop, that I can also give to my friends/collegues.

The installation also needs to install some basic program like VLC player/7-Zip etc. but that part I cannot figured out.

Greetz,

Danny

Examples

RunOnceEx will install anything you want. There are some things you do with Firstlogoncommands. Setupcomplete.cmd for others

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "RunOnceEx - Testing Applications" /f
REG ADD %KEY% /v Flags /t REG_DWORD /d "20" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /VE /D "VLC Media Player 1.x.x" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 101 /D "CMD /C Start /Wait D:\APPS\VLCmediaplayer\vlc-1.1.11-win32.exe /S" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 102 /D "CMD /C DEL \"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\VLC media player.lnk\"" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 103 /D "CMD /C DEL \"%SystemDrive%\Users\Public\Desktop\VLC media player.lnk\"" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 104 /D "cmd /c XCOPY \"D:\APPS\VLCmediaplayer\vlc\" \"C:\Users\Noneya\AppData\Roaming\vlc\" /E /I /H /R /Y" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 105 /D "REGEDIT /S \"D:\APPS\VLCmediaplayer\vlc_disable.reg\" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\1002 /VE /D "7-Zip 9.22 x64" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1002 /V 101 /D "CMD /C Start /Wait msiexec.exe /I D:\APPS\7-Zip_x64\7z922-x64.msi /qb" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1002 /V 102 /D "REGEDIT /S D:\APPS\7-Zip_x64\7ZipSets.reg" /f

Examples

RunOnceEx will install anything you want. There are some things you do with Firstlogoncommands. Setupcomplete.cmd for others

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "RunOnceEx - Testing Applications" /f
REG ADD %KEY% /v Flags /t REG_DWORD /d "20" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /VE /D "VLC Media Player 1.x.x" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 101 /D "CMD /C Start /Wait D:\APPS\VLCmediaplayer\vlc-1.1.11-win32.exe /S" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 102 /D "CMD /C DEL \"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\VLC media player.lnk\"" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 103 /D "CMD /C DEL \"%SystemDrive%\Users\Public\Desktop\VLC media player.lnk\"" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 104 /D "cmd /c XCOPY \"D:\APPS\VLCmediaplayer\vlc\" \"C:\Users\Noneya\AppData\Roaming\vlc\" /E /I /H /R /Y" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1001 /V 105 /D "REGEDIT /S \"D:\APPS\VLCmediaplayer\vlc_disable.reg\" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\1002 /VE /D "7-Zip 9.22 x64" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1002 /V 101 /D "CMD /C Start /Wait msiexec.exe /I D:\APPS\7-Zip_x64\7z922-x64.msi /qb" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\1002 /V 102 /D "REGEDIT /S D:\APPS\7-Zip_x64\7ZipSets.reg" /f

I don't know this happens with me only or it is a normal process, I tried with runonce registry and it started installation before personal setting loaded, there was a just a blue screen only, no icons, no msg, nothing, so I switched to setupcomplete.cmd . I guess the best way to have applications in the OS is reverse integration.

that I can also give to my friends/collegues.

If it's fully automated then I assume you wouldn't be customizing their registration keys? If that's the case, you'd not want to do this since you'd harm your activation once Windows 7 needs to go online and activate.

I don't know this happens with me only or it is a normal process, I tried with runonce registry and it started installation before personal setting loaded, there was a just a blue screen only, no icons, no msg, nothing, so I switched to setupcomplete.cmd . I guess the best way to have applications in the OS is reverse integration.

To fix and defeat that just put a time delay running script for 2 minutes while Desktop loads.

that I can also give to my friends/collegues.

If it's fully automated then I assume you wouldn't be customizing their registration keys? If that's the case, you'd not want to do this since you'd harm your activation once Windows 7 needs to go online and activate.

Wrong.

You can copy same registration to same machine whether you do it with Token Restore or do yourself copy two files and inject them to install.wim. Even easier if it is newer model with Slic 2.1 Bios cause you just plug in the key.