USB Multiboot 10

rajdaila

That was a good suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work. After the initial txt mode setup of XP loaded some files the message "Setup is starting Windows" comes up...... and then a BSOD. Some previous attempts with tools also got me to this point, though faster.

I don't think I've got a hardware issue; the CentOS on the box (an eee box EB1007 with a bigger drive) runs fine with no issues.

there is no actual need of a dedicated tool, you could try the manual steps outlined in the above.

Rash is the last thing I am. I've used instruction sets from across the net utilizing various toolsets including WinToFlash, ISOtoUSB, the manual instructions mentioned here, and USB Multiboot, WinSetupFromUSB, etc. Nothing has worked. Nothing. I've now devoted roughly 15 hours to this over 3 days. The method of error varies, but nothing has worked.

And the fact remains - that latest version of BootUSB (5.3) mentioned at 911cd literally doesn't work. Which is the point where I threw up my hands and got a little frustrated.

1 - You get THROUGH Text-Mode, correct? Then Reboot?

If i'm not mistaken, the "normal" method of Install From USB requires the use of creating the "$Win_NT$.~bt" and ".~ls" folders and the root files first. You would have to then manually alter several files (see this). That's one way. Another way is to use Grub4DOS and mount the CD ISO Image in memory (provided sufficient memory exists).

In the way you just used (apparently from jaclaz' link), you said "it didn't work" / "txt mode' / "starting windows" / "BSOD"

Assuming, you followed the steps to the letter it should have worked (never tried it myself).

Is there any way you can actually SAY what the BSOD (generic term with no specific meaning) was? You mentioned an EEE PC - maybe problems with drivers?.

It's obvious that the USB is now bootable though... Largest hurdle passed...

Edited by submix8c

There is a possibility, though of course with rants but not actual info and different approaches/all things mixed together just a guess, but there is a distinct case where any of these methods won't work, and that is if the PC has USB 3 ports (and needs USB 3 drivers).

Another likely possibility, since several methods failed is an issue with the actual source, possibly (badly or "too much") nlited and/or (badly) integrated with SP's or later KB's or simply, for *whatever* reason, "botched".

There may also be issues (maybe) with some of the less common "eastern languages" source, but I doubt it.

@TheEditor

If you would be so nice to choose one method (the given manual way being the easiest to correct/fix/modify) and post the standard litany:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

Maybe we could go forward, until you continue saying "this didn't work" or "this other didn't work" we will remain in the "I'm ill, doctor. Help!" stage, actually in the "I'm ill, doctor, and you suck as a doctor. Help!" one. :(

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

A breakthrough of sorts. Turns out the EB1007 needs to have the bios' SATA setting to IDE. Mine was ACPI.

That at least got the ball rolling a bit. Now I'm working on a EULA not found error. Basic files get loaded and I come to screen where I can officially start installing. I hit Enter and get the EULA error. I've searched threads here and came upon suggested solutions but none have yet worked.

A breakthrough of sorts. Turns out the EB1007 needs to have the bios' SATA setting to IDE. Mine was ACPI AHCI

Yes, that will have solved your problem.

Instead of changing in BIOS the SATA Controller setting from AHCI into IDE

you could have followed the description on How to prepare XP setup Source.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24424

For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe 
for Integrating in your XPSOURCE DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
http://driverpacks.net/downloads
In that case a lot of Extra RAID SCSI and SATA Drivers (about 120 extra) are Integrated which appear in the
XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Install-Drive and can prevent a lot of XP Install Boot Problems.

:)

Edited by wimb

Not sure that would have helped. In any case I found the bios a bit confusing on this. My eeebox is older and apparently the way this piece of info (and others) are organized is a bit different than later models. Descriptions on how to find this and correct it didn't match my bios.

There are plenty of "eula not found" posts around here and last night I probably tried 5 different fixes unsuccessfully. This is getting a bit OT for this thread title and I'll post further in more appropriate places. Thanks to jaclaz for the "manual" link as this has given me enough hands-on experience to implement the EULA fix attempts.

Instead of changing in BIOS the SATA Controller setting from AHCI into IDE

you could have followed the description on How to prepare XP setup Source.

For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe 
for Integrating in your XPSOURCE DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
http://driverpacks.net/downloads
In that case a lot of Extra RAID SCSI and SATA Drivers (about 120 extra) are Integrated which appear in the
XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Install-Drive and can prevent a lot of XP Install Boot Problems.

Not sure that would have helped.

The AHCI drivers for AMD and Intel present in MassStorage DriverPack when Integrated help indeed to boot with BIOS SATA AHCI Controller Setting :)

In the winnt_sif of USB_MultiBoot_10\w_sif there is EulaComplete="1" Setting

;SetupMgrTag 01 June 2008
; winnt.sif for Install of Windows XP from LocalSource on Bootable USB-stick
; Change file to your needs (give productkey and TimeZone), USB_MultiBoot.cmd Copies winnt.sif in $WIN_NT$.~BT folder
;
; Essential 8 Parameters and 4 Settings for Unattended Setup:
; FullName, OrgName, productkey, ComputerName, AdminPassword, TimeZone, JoinWorkgroup,
; and useraccounts.cmd executed by CMDLINES.TXT in $OEM$ Folder
; UnattendedInstall="Yes", EulaComplete="1", unattendswitch=yes, OEMSkipRegional=1
;
; For Install of XP from USB we need two extra Settings in the [Data] Section:
; MsDosInitiated="1" and floppyless="1"
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="1"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
floppyless="1"
UseSignatures="no"
InstallDir="\WINDOWS"
EulaComplete="1"
winntupgrade="no"
win9xupgrade="no"
unattendswitch="Yes"

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
; TimeZone=110
AdminPassword=*
OemSkipWelcome=1

Unattended Section is Removed Completely as required for Install of XP from USB

Edited by wimb

• 2 months later...

Dear Sir/Mam

I am downloading USB Multiboot from last 3 days but this not working .

i am facing error while proceeding to second step when i enter 2 in CMD to select my USB which is of 4 gb it shows error

******F HAS NOT FAT FAT32 OR NTFS FORMAT AND IS NOT VALID ****** where F is USB drive

kindly send USB Multiboot 10 software on my mail id , and also tell me the way how to solve this error

do the needful

post-362180-0-44583500-1348066630_thumb.

See here

In any case it is needed to set User Acount Control Off and Reboot.

Also for Win 7 you must modify USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd and instead of 6.0 for vista it must be 6.1 for Win7 like

VER | find "6.1." > nul

But it is much more advisable to use better approach as described here:

Install of XP or Windows 7 from USB After Booting with 7 PE and

by using WinNTSetup2_x86.exe and Setup ISO file in Virtual drive

EDIT 30 Sept 2012

Update of USB_MultiBoot_10.zip for compatibility with Windows 7 (solved USB-drive Not Valid)

Download - USB_MultiBoot_10.zip - mirror with SFX

Edited by wimb