replacing superseded patches

Patosan

Till now I have used sp3 as my base installation, then installed all later patches and hotfixes as they come. Often they replace previous ones, so I uninstall the old ones prior to intalling the new. If I slip the latest patches into my XP disk, what happens later when some of them are replaced by new patches ? Is there no problem installing the new patches ? If there's no problem, as I suspect, then in my sp3 install need I unstall the old ones as I've been doing thus far ?

But, if I understand the OP's question, there's no reason to keep superseded updates on your install disc. Assuming we're talking about XP, to create a new install disc, you should always start with a clean Xp SP3 source, integrate the current version of your preferred update pack, add any additional updates/patches that apply to your system, add any additional apps you wish to have installed, make whatever removals that apply to you, add the necessary drivers, make and build the iso, burn and install. If he was talking about once you have installed your system, and new updates come out, do you need to remove the superseded updates before you install the new ones, then yes you are correct that removing the old updates before installing the new ones is not required.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks guys for the replies, I was wondering if after integrating, adding patches and installing I want to check the os, yes XP, for which ones I actually used, is there a way to do it ? For example I lose my list of patches. Of course Add/Remove won't show them.

Edited by Patosan

My web page may be of use to you. It has a list of obsolete updates. http://xdot.tk/updates.html

You gotta be joking ... of use to me ... it's my bible of updates ! I check it at least weekly.

I was so stressed and had to look elsewhere while you had some kinda break from updating it recently.

I tried systeminfo but got - "is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Edited by Patosan