SpeedStep with Win7 on Latitude X300

mjdbb1

I have an older Dell Latitude X300 laptop with Pentium M (Centrino) 1.4 GHz and 2GB ram. It has Intel Speedstep and under Windows XP it would adjust the processor speed just fine. However I installed Windows 7 on it and although it runs well, the processor won't run at its highest frequency. I'm using CPU-Z to monitor the speed and it's always stuck around 599-600 Mhz. I've installed the latest chipset drivers (from Intel, as Dell no longer supports this model). I've even tried disabling Speedstep in the BIOS but it still won't beat 600 Mhz.

Any thoughts?

Yes, but it seems to ignore whatever I select. The multiplier and voltages stay the same along with the speed. I'm starting to wonder if this could have something to do with the chipset drivers...I downloaded the appropriate file from Intel, but it installs very quickly...usually when I install chipset drivers it takes a few minutes...but it seems like it just flies to the end of the install program. Perhaps they're not installing properly? I'm not really sure what else to try.