WinPE 3.1 imaging on multiple OS types

Andrew1234

I've created a WinPE 3.1 PXE boot image to use to image/recovery/rollout Windows XP (32bit), Windows 7 (32bit) and Windows 7 (64bit).

I'm afraid Windows XP is with our company a while longer...

The WinPE image and tools are based on Windows 7 (32bit).

As part of restoring the image, I'm using "bootrec /FixMbr" to fix (set) the Master Boot Record. Is it OK to use the Windows 7 (32bit) bootrec to fix the Windows XP image. It seems to work OK, but I've not seen it documented. Is this practice OK or could it produce future problems. Would the Windows 7 (32bit) bootrec work with Windows 7 (64bit)?

The reason for these questions is because I want to use one WinPE 3.1 PXE boot image for all Operating Systems.

Sorry, in the title I meant "WinPE 3.1 imaging on multiple OS types", but can't change it...

I've created a WinPE 3.1 PXE boot image to use to image/recovery/rollout Windows XP (32bit), Windows 7 (32bit) and Windows 7 (64bit).

I'm afraid Windows XP is with our company a while longer...

The WinPE image and tools are based on Windows 7 (32bit).

As part of restoring the image, I'm using "bootrec /FixMbr" to fix (set) the Master Boot Record. Is it OK to use the Windows 7 (32bit) bootrec to fix the Windows XP image. It seems to work OK, but I've not seen it documented. Is this practice OK or could it produce future problems. Would the Windows 7 (32bit) bootrec work with Windows 7 (64bit)?

The reason for these questions is because I want to use one WinPE 3.1 PXE boot image for all Operating Systems.

Sorry, in the title I meant "WinPE 3.1 imaging on multiple OS types", but can't change it...

bootrec is documented.

If you use the Vista :ph34r: / 7 bootrec with bootrec /FixMbr it will write Vista :ph34r: or 7 MBR CODE.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

So, if you want the XP MBR code, it is NOT a good idea.

If you are OK with a system that has the Windows 7 MBR code, it's OK (though non-standard).

Now, guess why MBRFIX was developed? :unsure:

http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm

;)

jaclaz

I changed your topic title. You had this ability as well, but you would need to click "Use Full Editor" to get to the topic title.

As far as XP, its a strange thing for me as I've never had to use any sort of MBR fixing tool to deploy an XP image.

I've never run bootrec after dropping an image on a machine. Only to fix a possibly corrupt boot record. As long as the boot partition has been marked active and the image you captured was bootable it has just worked.