Install IE8 on 2003 without Windows Update?

GrofLuigi

This is madness. Full IE8 installer for Windows 2003 won't install if Windows Update is not around, although options are unchecked. Traced with ProcMon, it stops on class {4CB43D7F-7EEE-4906-8698-60DA1C38F2FE}. Although I faked empty strings of InprocServer32 and LocalServer32, which usually works for other checks, including some Microsoft's, this time it won't give in. I guess it tries to communicate through COM. There is no chance of reinstalling Windows Update here, ever. I've looked into the .inf's, but I can't seem to find anything that would prohibit installation or looking for prerequisites, but I'm not that good with inf's. Installing through right click on .inf's leaves the system in mixed state where much of IE6 is still left.

The installer is downloaded from http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/5/0/7507EBD5-0193-4B7F-9F14-9014C7EB5C67/IE8-WindowsServer2003-x86-ENU.exe

and I'm absolutely positive it's the one needed.

I've tried YumeYao_IE8_Addon_Nosetuperr_ENU_1_4_11, but it also won't install through inf's, and I vaguely remember that integration in source didn't work (missing file). Yes, I have done the instructions for 2003.

For now, I've just copied some (most) of the files where they're supposed to be, but there are some unknowns (.mui files all over the place), according to a clean install on XP on VirtualBox, but maybe there is a difference in locations for 2003? Regsvr'ing them is done, as far as I can see, no problems there, but I would prefer a "proper" solution.

So here is the question: How can I install IE8 on a live system without Windows Update?. I suspect it's the same thing with XP, not only with 2003. Google had nothing to say.

GL

It's strange... I've just checked the update.inf and there don't seem to be any conditional prerequisites around. I can install it even in Windows 2000 after changing just a few lines under [Version].

Could you upload your log file (the one created in %windir% when trying install IE8)?

Edited by tomasz86

Is is the same when you try to install it on a clean system? Now the installer detects that there was IE8 installed previously. I can't see any visible errors except for this

Installer return value: hr=0x00000000

Have you tried installing it in Safe Mode?

By the way, is it the only log file? I think there should be also ie8.log present in %windir%.

Edited by tomasz86

It informs me it detected IE8, and asks me (and lets me select) to install it anyway. But everything else is the same. Also in safe mode it's the same.

It's the only log file, anything else that is created is "Internet Explorer Troubleshooting.url" on the desktop, pointing to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=106440 . I followed the links/steps there, but it led me nowhere.

GL

• 1 month later...

So here is the question: How can I install IE8 on a live system without Windows Update?. I suspect it's the same thing with XP, not only with 2003. Google had nothing to say.

GL

Did you ever resolve this?

In my tests you DONT need to connect to WindowsUpdate (or even have an internet connection at all) but you DO need the WU agent files to be registered.

The error is shown in your log file right here:-

00:15.875: INFO:    WindowsUpdate>>CWindowsUpdateMgr::Initialize: CoCreateInstance.CLSID_UpdateSession: HResult 0x80040154
00:15.875: INFO: |Initialize >>> CStateInitialize::OnInitialize: Windows Update Manager Initialization Result: 0x80040154
00:15.875: ERROR: |Initialize >>> Couldn't initialize the Windows Update Manager, HRESULT:0x80040154

Error 0x80040154 means Class not registered meaning wuapi.dll, or one of the others, needs (re-)registering with regsvr32.

There won't be a second log file present, because it does not run the secondary process that would normally generate the second log file.

Instead, in the middle of phase 7, you have:-

00:15.906: INFO:    |Inst. IE         >>> SKIP[TRUE ]>>Result: SKIPPING This Phase

My tests showed that even with the command-line parameter

/update-no

present, the installer still goes through the COM stuff with the Windows Update Manager.

Did you ever resolve this?

No, as I said, I just copied the files and regsvr'd them. Duck tape solution. :lol: IE works good enough, as far as I can tell, but isn't used much.

Don't have time (yet) for installation in virtual machine, and analyzing there.

GL