Setup Server 2008 R2 Behind Router For Vpn Access

mitchy1111

Hi there,

Hope someone can help as I'm onto my 3rd day of trying to figure this out.

I have a server with Server 2008 R2, I am trying to set it up so that I can access a shared area from another site.

The server is behind a router with a static ip.

1. I have installed Network Policy and Access Services role (NPAS) and configured RRAS to allow vpn connections

2. I have changed changed the servers network connection ip to use the static ip, subnet mask and gateway etc (i got these from my router homepage).

3. I tried to then install active directory as suggested in http://www.buchatech.com/2010/06/ho... however when following this through the dns server fails to recognise any static ip's on the network adapters.

When I try to connect from the client by setting up a new connection I get the error: The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly. (the credentials i am using are the static ip address and a username and password of a user account I have setup on the server???)

Not sure if its because i'm using foundation edition. Is there an idiots guide to setting up the server behind a router? Whats the best way to connect from the client?

Any help is really appreciated and could save me alot of earache from the gaffer

Thanks

Mitchy

• 4 months later...

The server is behind a router with a static ip.
2. I have changed changed the servers network connection ip to use the static ip, subnet mask and gateway etc (i got these from my router homepage).
Did you open the VPN Ports on the Router (Port Forwarding)? The same applies for a Web Server (forward Ports 21/80) through a Router. The Router is apparently NOT forwarding the Requests. Note also that a Router serves as an INDEPENDENT "firewall" and the OS will ALSO have a "firewall" that will ALSO have to have the ports "opened". Edited by submix8c