Going from 32bit to 64bit install

ExTruckie

Hello all

I am in the process of upgrading my machine from that is 32 bit to one that is 64bit. I have a few questions about it. 1, I should be able to use the backup/restore feature to save all my data, correct? 2, Since I am just replacing the mobo/cpu/ram, Can I just put the 64bit dvd in and just reinstall windows?

Thanks

Hello ExTruckie:

Even when you may use the backup/restore feature to save all your data, taking into account that in your case essential changes are done you will find added security and added transparency by using a simple copy/paste procedure to keep all them into an external HDD instead.

Concerning reinstall you may of course insert the 64bit dvd in and reinstall windows. You may choose at start the previous format option if your data are in a different drive letter. If your data are at the same one you may instead install while keeping the old OS into an "oldwindows" folder automatically built by the install program. At the end of the install process you are able to recover any file or folder used by the old Windows to restore it, deleting the whole "oldwindows" folder afterwards (defragmenting recommended).

HTH

Edited by cannie

Hey guys, I just bought an acer aspire 5253-bz893 with amd dual-core c50, and radeon hd 6250 graphics. Installed by default is win7 64bit. I need to know what the best setup is for it, 32bit or 64bit.

Does 32bit use both core ? is 64bit better for gaming. I want to play resident evil 4, gta sa works great but resident evil is just alittle slow. And also I need advice about if this laptop can run pcsx2 a ps2 emulator.

I went to vista but sadly there was little driver support and acer says they only support win7 drivers. XP woould be a good option for a lean setup but I dont know if all my drivers can be ported back to xp.

I need some advice please help, thanks

I have 3gb DDR3 memory Let me tell you some of my story. I am renting to own this laptop from a rent place. Get this, they want 1750 total price. I pay 25$ weekly for 69 weeks or almost two years. I has a ghost win 7 but I put my own win7 on it. Anyway yea those are my specs, say for almost 2000 dollars shouldnt I have a better laptop then this ? Oh yea and I looked it up and this laptop supports 64 bit proccesing so maybe they put it on there for that reason, still it seems abit much, my proccesor score is only 2.8 too.

Edited by mrsk565

I have 3gb DDR3 memory... my proccesor score is only 2.8 too.

AFAIK you won't find any advantage at all by using 64 bits.

Compatibility with many existing apps designed for Windows XP will be definitively lost in exchange for nothing.

HTH

Compatibility with many existing apps designed for Windows XP will be definitively lost in exchange for nothing.

Thank you, the line gets alittle grey for me on this topic since I never really researched 64bit. But just as you mentioned and I too have suspected, this laptop will do better on 32bit. Dont know why they put 64bit on it with only 3gb RAM. I have noticed an improvement in games though.

I know, tell me about it. I cant believe those places, they charge you such outragous prices. It cost so much I actually went back there and applied for a job lol.

When I found this out I was p***ed, I though I was getting a new laptop when theres has been 20+ models out since this one. I'm not keeping it since its so high, I think when I can I will buy one online with even better specs

But thanks, I'm talking about this so I can see what other people think of those places and also find out the truth behind this cpu.

Edited by mrsk565

• 3 weeks later...

I have had win7 64bit installed and running for 2 weeks now. So much nicer than the 32bit flavor. I have run into an issue I haven't tracked down yet. After installing the last two graphics driver versions I get a very long boot time, almost 5 min. haven't timed it.

I boot normally to the windows screen the the monitor goes dark for approx 5 min, then it continues to boot normally. I have tried to roll back the drivers without any success. Any ideas? I can't tell what is occurring due to the blank screen.

Thanks

Edit: I rebooted my machine and when it rebooted I noticed that the video card shuts down during the boot process. then after appox. 2 min the video returns and things proceed normally.

Edited by ExTruckie

After reading the Trace Windows7 boot tutorial I determined that the SMSinit subphase was the issue, the symptoms are exactly as described. I deleted the video card drivers and rebooted. I then reinstalled the drivers and rebooted again. The problem is gone as of now I will keep an eye on it. I was having trouble converting the efl file to a xml one to post or send.

We shall see

Thanks