Which post SP3 updates will not integrate in the nLite ?

aliceinchains

That particular fix (KB975558) is one of several that has multiple WMP version updates in it. I've found that nLite has a little "heartburn" integrating these types. I've taken the alternate route of adding them manually (including the initial WMP11) into a RunOnce sequence (after First Logon) after nLite completes. Browse around here for a "how-to".

edit - and a "hint" of the Command to use here.

edot2 - DOH!!! See next post and try it... For the life of me, I can't remember why I chose the above route...

Edited by submix8c

I'm curious why you made the wmp addon cab files when 5 out of 6 regular ones slipstreamed in the nlite.

They slipstream but nLite will mistakenly use the WMP11 files. XP comes with WMP9 hence the need to the cabs.

EDIT: If you don't want to use submix8c method do this.

Start with a fresh source.

Run nLite and add WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB975558-x86-ENU.exe to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section.

Click advanced in that section.

Uncheck Direct Hotfix Integration...

hotfixintegrationinfoc.png

Click next, etc till done.

Open the i386 folder and delete NLITE.IN_.

Start nLite again and do everything you normally do except adding KB975558.

You can also run the command nLite will use when not using the Direct Hotfix Integration...

Integrate Usage: /integrate:path where path refers to the folder that contains the i386 folder.

Example: C:\UDC-05.08.12\WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB975558-x86-ENU.exe /integrate:C:\MyXPSource

Edited by -X-

Open the i386 folder and delete NLITE.IN_.

Start nLite again and do everything you normally do except adding KB975558.

You can also run the command nLite will use when not using the Direct Hotfix Integration...

Integrate Usage: /integrate:path where path refers to the folder that contains the i386 folder.

Example: C:\UDC-05.08.12\WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB975558-x86-ENU.exe /integrate:C:\MyXPSource

Cool.... I'm just going to use the nlite as you described instead of the /integrate switch, which brings me to another question.. If I used /integrate, would I still have to Open the i386 folder and delete something like the "NLITE.IN_.?" ( some other kind of _IN file created by /integrate )

Edited by aliceinchains

-X-, How do you figure out which updates are/were replaced by others,such as the ones in your 'Obsolete Updates' list ?

Example:

WindowsXP-KB923561-x86-ENU.exe "replaced by" 955759,979687,2259922.

WindowsXP-KB938464-x86-ENU.exe "replaced by" 938464

etc..

Where or how do you find this information ?

Usually the MS bulletin will tell you but on some occasions MS misses some replacements. I keep a folder with all the updates extracted and the .inf files that contain any additional registry information. On each patch Tuesday, I download the updates manually and extract them and then search for the filenames in my extracted updates folder. If there is a match, I investigate further to see if ALL the files where replaced, the registry entries (if any) where replaced. etc etc.

Usually the MS bulletin will tell you but on some occasions MS misses some replacements.

For some updates, MS doesn't even think they are "replacements" at all. I have one case, KB2695962 ActiveX Kill Bits update:

(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2695962, Frequently Asked Questions)

Does this update replace the Cumulative Security Update of ActiveX Kill Bits (2618451)?

No, for the purpose of automatic updating, this update does not replace the Cumulative Security Update of ActiveX Kill Bits (2618451) that is described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-090. Automatic updating will still offer the MS11-090 update to customers regardless of whether or not they installed this update (2695962). However, customers who install this update (2695962) do not need to install the MS11-090 update to be protected with all the kill bits set in MS11-090.

although MS did say that KB2695962 contains KB2618451.

What kill bits does this Update Rollup of ActiveX Kill Bits contain?

This Update Rollup of ActiveX Kill Bits contains new kill bits and all kill bits previously released in [......] MS11-090, Cumulative Security Update of ActiveX Kill Bits [...].

What's it mean when KB2675157 (footnote 4) shows up on windows update, TWICE ? LOL

I will say this -X- .. I did exactly what you said with the nLite (doing that one update first/deleting nlite_in etc... and I do have a perfect install now.. I made another install (long story short) and I might have deleted something I shouldn't have but not sure yet.

I don't know if you ever noticed this but sometimes when you download an update from Microsoft, it fails but you wouldn't know it unless you checked the file size..

I tried downloading SP3 like 5 times one day and it ended up being around 200mb..

What's it mean when KB2675157 (footnote 4) shows up on windows update, TWICE ? LOL

Not sure. Are you doing IE6 or IE8?

IE8 .. No worries, I think it was the update itself that didn't download properly. MS was having a problem with their downloads as I described in the other post. I just read some stuff about it from the end of 2011,it started.

Edited by aliceinchains