Seagate USB HDs not connecting to NetGear WNDR3700

MarkR123

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 router and I want to use the Readyshare option. This would allow me to connect an external hard drive to the router and access it from other computers, but my

-Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive in Black STAA1000101

-Seagate FreeAgent Go 1 TB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST910004FAA2E1-RK

doesn't seem to work with my router. I would prefer to use a seagate drive even if I have to buy a third. But if none reliably work, Can any body help me out.

@Kel

Black swan ;):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory

it may exist even if you never saw it :whistle: .

@MarkR123

Generally speaking (and not necessarily aplliable to the mentioned models) Seagate disk drives (I mean inside Seagate enclosures, but WD are not that much different) are (or think to be) "smart" and, because they offer such features as "green" *whatever* and *onetouch*, and *Goflex* and *whatnot* tend to give any kind of headache.

If I were you, I would try with a "generic", "no-name", USB enclosure (putting in it a Seagate or other make hard disk), as they tend to be "simpler" and thus more "compatible".

For "stationary" work, I would prefer anytime:

• a 3.5" HDD over a 2.5" one (another issue in your case may also be the power the router may - or may fail to - provide on the USB connection :blink: )
  • an enclosure with a fan or an aluminium one with good heat sink

but I am particularly old-fashioned :ph34r: .

jaclaz