Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

^^ Only side effect is the Network pane also gets disabled when you run FxxkMetro.You would certainly need the network pane. Maybe if someone can develop a Windows 7 Network popup clone for Windows 8 then we can turn off the system network icon.

^^ Only side effect is the Network pane also gets disabled when you run FxxkMetro.You would certainly need the network pane. Maybe if someone can develop a Windows 7 Network popup clone for Windows 8 then we can turn off the system network icon.

xpclient,

Nice find. A work in progress...

In theory, do you think it would be possible for them to tweak their application so that it doesn't disable the network pane, or is that now too tightly integrated with Metro?

--JorgeA

Windows 8, panned again:

Metro is exhausting and demands users to scroll too much. The flat, user interface feels old -- not modern -- after the initial excitement. It's pretty to start with, but the beauty is skin deep. That's my experience using Metro on a tablet, which is what the UI is designed for.

The writer offers a different take on Microsoft's "No compromises" slogan. Well, yeah, THEY'RE not the ones who must compromise, YOU are:

Windows 8 is the blind date who is pretty in the red dress but a real b**ch outside the bedroom. She's too demanding. She's fussy. She wants you to change to conform to her rather than finding common ground.

--JorgeA

Windows 8, panned again:
The changes make Windows harder to use, which is no recipe for market acceptance or adoption.

link

I'm very confuse about what Microsoft managers think about marketability of their products.

It seems that they completely forgot the notion that an OS or a device working with this OS is a product that must be sold.

That poeple will choose to pay or not to pay for it.

The shift in concept is not Metro that much, the shift in concept at Microsoft is commercial.

Instead of trying to sell as much as possible, they don't care anymore about sales at all.

It's the first time in my life when I see a private company so disinterrested in selling their brandmark product, so indifferent to the flashing red lights and warnings.

They are not blind, they are able to read consumer reviews like anyone of us, but they choose to ignore them superbly.

It's like they KNOW they won't sell this OS, but want to go ahead with it no matter what.

Unbelievable!

But despite being rock-solid, snappy and responsive, as a platform to do real-world work on, Windows 8 feels utterly unusable, and that’s down to one thing — the “Metro UI” user interface.

How many times this will have to be repeated? How many poeple will have to write it again and again?

Are the poeple at Microsoft tone deaf?

Make Metro optionable, return the classic Start Menu and the problem is solved.

With all the other technical improvements, and with the advantage of running Metro apps if you want to, and the new concpets which may work, this release could be a blockbuster.

Realy, Windows 8 could be the best OS ever released if the Microsoft team didn't act like goofs.

Why they want to lose 3/4 of potential sales just for making Metro not optionable is beyond me.

Also worth reading (off topic):

So, the OEMs make money from installing crapware onto PCs, and now Microsoft is making money removing it. Makes you realize why more and more people are buying Apple hardware.

It doesn't get much funnier than this ...

Microsoft's new tablet, Surface, freezes during presentation.

That's a link to the Wimp.com page with the FLV video. I'll try to embed it here ... Didn't work. You might want to save it in case it disappears (url)

Okay then, it is now also up at YouTube. This should embed here ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pMZd1fupw

Why does this make me think of the Southpark movie "Bring Bill Gates in Here!".

Microsoft Windows 8 : It's just a coincidence that it looks like AOL Kids (and Commodore Q-Link, and Nemulator)

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

I thought that they had learned by now to just create a .mpg video and simply play it on the tablet during presentations :whistle: (it's not that difficult to tap on the screen at the right moment ;)).

jaclaz

I thought that they had learned by now to just create a .mpg video and simply play it on the tablet during presentations :whistle: (it's not that difficult to tap on the screen at the right moment ;)).

jaclaz

You think they could get a video player to work for that long? :unsure::whistle:

GL

I'd buy that *way* before a Win8 tablet: it plays FAR more video files than Win7 or 8 does out of the box (not only XviD and H.264, but also support for MKV/FLV/MOV files and such), more audio files (including FLAC and APE files), it reads PDFs and EPUBs, it has an FM radio, shows photos and what not. For $77! You could buy like 8 of these for the price of a Win RT tablet. It's the perfect device for keeping your kids entertained on a long car ride, reading an ebook somwhere comfy and what not. And it's cheap enough that you won't mind that much if your kid drops it in the pool or destroys it otherwise.

It does most of the common things a Win RT tablet will do for a tiny fraction of the price, and it's a better device for most of the things it does (you'll need 3rd party codecs, players and readers to match that on a Win 8 RT tablet). The only big advantage WinRT has is wifi support, but there's tons of other cheap tablets that offer this as well. Win RT tablets are no competition to the iPad -- they barely compete with these cheap tablets feature-wise and they're WAY overpriced comparatively.

jaclaz

You mean like this?

http://www.techspot.com/news/47037-intel-caught-faking-ivy-bridge-dx11-demo-explains-itself.html

:lol:

You mean like this?

Exactly :thumbup, but the tricky part is obviously to miss getting caught in doing it ;).

It's just like flying:

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, it suggests, and try it. The first part is easy. All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and the willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt. That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground. Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard. Clearly, it's the second point, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

jaclaz