Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

EDIT: extra comment ... I just noticed that stupid Opera is not supplying horizontal scrollbars within this "spoiler" for some reason. Bug report? :no: Why bother. ~sigh~ Just paste the image URL into a blank tab and you will get the horizontal scrollbars :wacko:

Apparently not just Opera. Chrome doesn't have them either. Might this be a IPB board software issue?

Cheers and Regards

The pains of porting to Windows RT/8:

http://www.neowin.net/news/vlc-for-windows-8-development-taking-longer-than-expected

http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2013/Follow-up-report-about-the-WinRT-port

It's been a hard time working on this port, with many more technical issues than expected. Therefore, we've been slower than expected.

Read the second link. Safe to say that Photoshop won't be ported to RT any time soon...

Edited by Formfiller

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-used-game-policy

In an interview with Ars Technica, Microsoft's marketing chief for Xbox, Yusuf Mehdi, has defended the licensing and used game policies of the Xbox One, stating that the reaction from gamers was "kind of as we expected". In the long run, he expects that gamers will see the benefits of the policies on the console, as the gaming market shifts to digital-only in favor of physical discs.

He said that Microsoft is "trying to do something pretty big in terms of moving the industry forward for console gaming into the digital world", adding that "we believe digital is better". In the future, Mehdi believes that the move to all-digital will provide the capabilities for different licensing models, although for the time being it's a "big change" that Microsoft needs to educate users about to "make sure that people understand".

Insane.

The tone is also quite over the top. One could think it's a statement by a government official.

The crack must be strong.

More:

I think it's fair to say there's a segment of consumers at this show in particular who really pay attention, who are very passionate about all aspects of gaming, and that we listen to closely. In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.

Translation: We're screwing the customers over, but people are sheep and don't care.

Edited by Tripredacus
language

Microsoft finally did it: Even the majority of the NWs in the comments are fed up by their arrogance.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-if-you-have-no-internet-get-an-xbox-360

also remarked that making the Xbox One always connected to the internet is a "future-proof choice"

As if we had not enough apps that worked alright for years and then - because they "phone home" - started to stop working because the Author (or Software House) changed business/closed the site/whatever.

Imagine all the proprietors of SAAB's having their car stop going because the manufacturer went default:

http://www.autoindustryinsider.com/?p=2004

And if it continues like this it is not completely unlikely that the good MS guys will close operations of a "line", or "department" or of the whole thing.

Imagine that the new CEO (when Ballmer will be replaced) will decide that MS needs to concentrate on it's "core business" (and let's say that it will close or sell the Phone and Games sections) what will happen?

Going "live" and "on the cloud" might be the third best thing after ice cream and sliced bread, but definitely it is THE LEAST "future proof" (I tend to believe that "future proof" means "lasting in working conditions").

But let's make a much more practical and common enough example.

Imagine that you are a gamer and an internet user.

Your phone line gets cut on friday at 17:00 PM (struck by lightning :w00t:).

Your telephonce company/ISP provider contact guarantees you a intervention within 72 hours.

You are left saturday and sunday with no email, no internets, no youtube (yes you live in a place not covered by cellular network or you have alredy used your monthly Gb allotment)

You decide to play a few games on your console....

What will you do first thing Monday?

1. Go and buy a good console that needs NO §@ç#ing phoning home
  2. Go and buy a good console that needs NO §@ç#ing phoning home AND tell everyone how much the MS thingy sucks
  3. Go and buy a good console that needs NO §@ç#ing phoning home AND tell everyone how much the MS thingy sucks AND sell the old one and it's games (hey, wait, you CANNOT do that! :ph34r: you can only tell everyone how it sucks ADDITIONALLY)

Please choose one ;).

jaclaz

EDIT: extra comment ... I just noticed that stupid Opera is not supplying horizontal scrollbars within this "spoiler" for some reason. Bug report? :no: Why bother. ~sigh~ Just paste the image URL into a blank tab and you will get the horizontal scrollbars :wacko:

Apparently not just Opera. Chrome doesn't have them either. Might this be a IPB board software issue?

Cheers and Regards

No scrollbars in IE8, either.

Pretty funny flow chart, anyway. :D

--JorgeA

But let's make a much more practical and common enough example.

Imagine that you are a gamer and an internet user.

Your phone line gets cut on friday at 17:00 PM (struck by lightning :w00t:).

Your telephonce company/ISP provider contact guarantees you a intervention within 72 hours.

You are left saturday and sunday with no email, no internets, no youtube (yes you live in a place not covered by cellular network or you have alredy used your monthly Gb allotment)

You decide to play a few games on your console....

What will you do first thing Monday?

1. Go and buy a good console that needs NO §@ç#ing phoning home
  2. Go and buy a good console that needs NO §@ç#ing phoning home AND tell everyone how much the MS thingy sucks
  3. Go and buy a good console that needs NO §@ç#ing phoning home AND tell everyone how much the MS thingy sucks AND sell the old one and it's games (hey, wait, you CANNOT do that! :ph34r: you can only tell everyone how it sucks ADDITIONALLY)

Please choose one ;).

jaclaz

rotflmao.gif

I choose #3...

--JorgeA

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-used-game-policy

In an interview with Ars Technica, Microsoft's marketing chief for Xbox, Yusuf Mehdi, has defended the licensing and used game policies of the Xbox One, stating that the reaction from gamers was "kind of as we expected". In the long run, he expects that gamers will see the benefits of the policies on the console

Let's see if I understand this. So, Yusuf, you expect to p*ss off your customers and somehow expect to get away with it??

He said that Microsoft is "trying to do something pretty big in terms of moving the industry forward for console gaming into the digital world", adding that "we believe digital is better". In the future, Mehdi believes that the move to all-digital will provide the capabilities for different licensing models, although for the time being it's a "big change" that Microsoft needs to educate users about to "make sure that people understand".

Uh, last time I checked, the files on CDs and DVDs are digital. What are these "benefits" you say there are for gamers, anyway? The only benefits I see are for vendors, who get to greatly increase their control over what customers can or can't do with the goods they paid for.

Insane.

The tone is also quite over the top. One could think it's a statement by a government official.

Agreed. As we've seen, they're in bed with government on several levels, so the attitude is fitting. :angry:

--JorgeA

More:

I think it's fair to say there's a segment of consumers at this show in particular who really pay attention, who are very passionate about all aspects of gaming, and that we listen to closely. In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.

Translation: We're screwing the customers over, but people are sheep and don't care.

What they apparently didn't enter into their spreadsheet calculations is that the people who really pay attention and are very passionate, are the ones who set the tone for that broader community. They are instrumental in shaping public perception. Despite all its built-in advantages, Microsoft is swimming upstream on this one.

--JorgeA

Microsoft finally did it: Even the majority of the NWs in the comments are fed up by their arrogance.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-if-you-have-no-internet-get-an-xbox-360

Amazing arrogance. I don't think Microsoft has a single person there who should be allowed in front of a camera. Here is the full title of the NeoWin article ...

Microsoft: If you have no internet, get an Xbox 360 ( NeoWin 2013-06-12 )

... which is atrributed to Microsoft's head of Xbox, Don Mattrick. I'll quote a pretty good commenter in the thread ...

You dont get the point of this problem. It is my decision when to connect with the internet if I want to use the internet. That is the little freedom a human being still has. MS is trying to take away this starting with the "single check in" - that is just the beginning. Just image how would you for example use this console in areas without internet connection, a ship, frontlines, a hotel or after moving into a new apartment - dont come with tethering - WP devices exist that still cant do it and you cant expect EVERYONE to have a smartphone, right? And one question still remains. - how does it support the customer?

Freedom and privacy are just not understandable concepts to some of those MicroZealots and MetroTards in those comment threads.

Here is the same story covered at three non-Zealot sites. The comments, as expected, are not so pleasant for the Microsoft Empre ...

Microsoft exec says gamers without Internet can stick with Xbox 360 ( TechSpot 2013-06-12 )

Microsoft's Mattrick Advises Gamers with Shaky Internet to Stick with Xbox 360 ( Maximum PC 2013-06-12 )

Microsoft Says If You Don't Have Internet: Get Xbox 360, Not Xbox One ( Tom's Hardware 2013-06-12 )

Microsoft is all about "the Cloud." The Cloud = TOTAL CONTROL. Control over your choices, your personal stuff, your money, your gaming habits, your browsing habits, who you talk to and ultimately, total control to increase their prices every year forever! Choose to break free and tell Microsoft to shove it up their FAT CORPORATE A**!!

EDIT: added artcles

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Microsoft has released a new commercial, 'Windows Everywhere' ( NeoWin 2013-06-12 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6r8QgLfLk

Here's the thing. It's actually a cool commercial visually ... but .... it is false advertising ... in the worse way.

You see they use very flash effects on the Metro tiles, the very effects that they have denounced and done away with in real life allegedly to "save energy". BTW when this plain appearance started showing up in the betas I actually suggested they should be using these flashy transition effects, or at least have them available, along with options for all other possibilities like gradients, colors, icon selection, etc. It should exceed the effects on Android, not lag behind them. :yes: This is the logical progression for "Windows" advancement from where we were recently, to today, not this insane regression.

One commenter mentioned how cool these effects would be and naturally a MetroTard takes a dump on the idea demonstrating his MicroStockholm Syndrome ...

the thing is energy consumption, on idle uses like 80-100W, when watching 1080p movies of playing games should go up to 120W-180w and more depending on hardware, if we keep more things loading the sistem the bill would go up, and more energy would be required in the whole energy grid

~sigh~ You 'Tards always had the option to make your system and display as retarded as you wanted to. What kind of mental illness is it that forces you to insist on spreading your lack of taste and aesthetics onto others?

Here are some other great Windows 8 commercials I found - I don't know what the heck they have to do with Windows 8, but I liked the commercials.LOL

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt