Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Why not just something like:

Title: ... What has Microsoft done, or not done, lately?

Subtitle: .. and related controversy and rants -- I agree that this is a very appropriate line :)

Cheer and Regards

Because you asked... :)

...I added the suggested subtitle to the thread! (Though I left out the "rants" portion. We don't do none of that 'round these parts. ;) )

I did leave the main title unchanged, mainly so that readers would know it was still the same thread.

Hope it works!

--JorgeA

That disclaimer in bold red letters "If your post is even remotely technical in nature, it probably doesn't belong here. Take another look at the forums and try to find the *right* location before posting a technical question here." is very distracting.

FWIW, the same warning appears if you open any thread in the General Discussion subforum. So it's not aimed specifically at this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the warning is a way to steer people with technical Windows questions over to the right places, whereas here in this thread we can get as deep and technical as we wish -- but knowing that we're not seeking any "what should I do now?" kind of advice.

--JorgeA

FWIW, the same warning appears if you open any thread in the General Discussion subforum. So it's not aimed specifically at this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the warning is a way to steer people with technical Windows questions over to the right places, whereas here in this thread we can get as deep and technical as we wish -- but knowing that we're not seeking any "what should I do now?" kind of advice.

--JorgeA

More generally, there are boards with (say) 15 sub-forums, and regularly *any* new user, after having omitted to say "hi" anywhere, and forgotten to read the Rules (if any) proceeds to post *anything* in "General Discussion", contributing in making a mess of the board (and making life of the Mods - IF the board is kept tidy - unneededly more complex).

jaclaz

--JorgeA

More generally, there are boards with (say) 15 sub-forums, and regularly *any* new user, after having omitted to say "hi" anywhere, and forgotten to read the Rules (if any) proceeds to post *anything* in "General Discussion", contributing in making a mess of the board (and making life of the Mods - IF the board is kept tidy - unneededly more complex).

jaclaz

On this topic, have you seen the MS Social forums? There must be hundreds of sub-boards on there!

I do not understand why the frequent posters to this previously lively thread have gotten so offended by the thread being moved to have seemingly abandoned it to let it die. If they are not going to post here any more, as a last hurrah I would really appreciate it if they would make one final post explaining their reasons. As of now, it seems that the reason is just "Because they moved the thread when we told them not to!" That seems rather petty. If that is the only reason, I just can't understand why that is such a big deal. I can understand being upset with the temporary closure, and that was unfortunate, and IMO wrong, but that has been corrected, so why can't they continue as they were? Has MSFN been added to the same ranks of evil doers as MS and is there now a thread somewhere else where all of MSFN's mistakes are lambasted that someone can point me to?

Cheers and Regards

I do not understand why the frequent posters to this previously lively thread have gotten so offended by the thread being moved to have seemingly abandoned it to let it die. If they are not going to post here any more, as a last hurrah I would really appreciate it if they would make one final post explaining their reasons. As of now, it seems that the reason is just "Because they moved the thread when we told them not to!" That seems rather petty. If that is the only reason, I just can't understand why that is such a big deal. I can understand being upset with the temporary closure, and that was unfortunate, and IMO wrong, but that has been corrected, so why can't they continue as they were? Has MSFN been added to the same ranks of evil doers as MS and is there now a thread somewhere else where all of MSFN's mistakes are lambasted that someone can point me to?

Cheers and Regards

I have done it but moderators keep deleing it. http://www.foolsdesign.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31

Personally, I think we should just declare victory (we did rescue the thread) and pick up where we left off.

Consider this: if there was in fact a deliberate attempt to bring the discussion to a close this week, then right now those hypothetical nefarious parties could clearly claim success!!

From a purely technical standpoint, AFAIK just because the thread got moved should not be affecting people's participation in it, at least those who were already aware of it. I subscribe to the thread and get notices of new posts, regardless of where the thread is located. Or, if your method is to navigate via browser to the Windows 8 subforum, you'll still see the redirecting link there (last time I checked), so you'll still find it. How do other people (that means you who are reading this ;) ) come to visit the thread?

--JorgeA

Win8 now has giant 2.79% market share :D

http://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

A disaster when you compare it to Win7. But the MS propaganda still want to tell everyone that Win8 sells better compared to Win7 :lol:

Thanks for the update, Andre.

Wow, I just went to that site and now it's saying 2.67%.

Here's another counter that has Win8 share at 2.72%.

(These two sites have Vista at 5.17% and 5.28%. :thumbup )

--JorgeA

How do other people (that means you who are reading this ;) ) come to visit the thread?

I take the lazy approach and enter the forum here, that always shows me all new posts that have occurred over a time frame I can choose, no matter where in the forum the posts are.

Cheers and Regards