Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

for me they work in Explorer. Maybe they refer to the new apps.

I have a suspicion that the bit about Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V was a joke -- made plausible by the fact that they HAVE taken out so much other functionality.

--JorgeA

Man I just can't stand all this 'eightard' nonsense about an interface being 'obsolete' just because it's not 'fresh today'.

If an interface works fine, it works fine, and until someone invents something REALLY TRULY better, professionals stick to it not giving a s*** if it was invented yesterday or a century ago.

The Red Baron's Fokker Triplane, 1917:

FABULOUS illustration of the idea!! :thumbup

But then... don't you realize that that airplane interface is "cheesy and dated"? They do need to get with the times and devise a "Modern" design for cockpit controls. I suggest reversing the location of the throttle and center sticks, and then hiding the throttle under a lid that pops open with a heel kick. The pilot can discover the lid if he happens to trip over his seat.

Same thing with all those distracting dials and buttons, we need a chrome-free surface. Make them discoverable by bumping your head on the ceiling.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

... I suggest reversing the location of the throttle ...

Interestingly, the French did exactly that in their pre World War 2 fighters. While in almost every other air force in Europe and in the USA you opened throttle by pushing forward the lever, the same action in a french fighter would CLOSE the throttle.

By hazards of war some of those french fighters ended up in the british RAF ... with predictable results: " ... Curtiss manufactured P-40 types for France which were later taken over by the British as Tomahawk Is and used for training. In one oft-told instance, a British pilot realized he was landing long, pushed the throttle to the firewall ... and the aircraft stalled and pancaked into a hangar. He climbed out, saying: "No wonder the bloody Frogs lost the war!".

That you better don't mess with the interface lesson was learnt, and all post World War 2 french aircraft have 'forwards' throttle.

These airplane examples are hilarious yet perfect! Now if someone could get that into the head of those morons at Microsoft who gave a go on Windows 8.

Although, all this makes me even more sure now, that they knew exactly what they were doing when changing and messing around with the interface like that. It's to throw everyone off their game, so much so that everyone forget about the lock-in walled garden which is in place, where MS is now doing an Apple with almost no one noticing it.

You see, you have to distract the sheeples mushroom people.

Why I use mushroom people instead? Well, because they are kept in the dark and fed manure. Which is exactly what is coming out of MS. :ph34r::puke:

Edited by ciHnoN

One of the pillars in the study of ergonomics is this book by Donald Norman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Design_of_Everyday_Things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Norman

The main idea is "affordance" of objects with which you interact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordance

A plate on a door "affords" to be pushed, it is like it is shouting "hey, push me", a round bar, of a suitable diameter and length "affords" to be gripped by the hand, it's like shouting "hey grip me", etc.

Besides the fact that the only thing the NCI "affords" is to be switched off, do check page #29 on google book's preview:

http://books.google.it/books?id=w8pM72p_dpoC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

There is a clear example about the "generic risk" the MS guys are taking :ph34r:.

jaclaz

Hey:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Create-a-ShutdownRestartLog-37c8111d

MS has released this Powershell script. (although unofficial etc.)

In Windows 8, without a Start button, properly shutting down or rebooting Windows can be a bit of a chore. Many users want to shut down or reboot Windows in just one click. This script enables users to click on a tile to shut down, reboot or log off Windows on the Start menu.

Actually the script creates the links on the start screen, not start menu.. but still they wrote "chore" in relation to W8 here.

First signs of sanity?

Edited by Formfiller

Actually the script creates the links on the start screen, not start menu.. but still they wrote "chore" in relation to W8 here.

First signs of sanity?

I've read multiple articles from MS that refer to the Start Screen as the Start Menu. I think its just an error.

For short term Win8 Desktop relief ...

Just found this tip posted to emulate 'boot to desktop' in Win8... http://www.dirkstrau...ws-8-in-desktop

Will try it out as a short-term workaround ...

Herbie

haha even them folks at Channel9 are starting to realize it posting how-to on skipping the start screen.

Meanwhile... http://www.neowin.ne...hromebook-sales "Acer: Windows 8 "still not successful"; hypes "amazing" Chromebook sales" ...not that Chromebook is any better but yeah... funny nevertheless. :D

Quote from the article: Bloomberg reports that Acer had a 28 percent drop in its PC shipments for the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to a year ago. Wong added' date=' "Windows 8 itself is still not successful ... The whole market didn’t come back to growth after the Windows 8 launch, that’s a simple way to judge if it is successful or not."[/b']

:angel

Edited by ciHnoN

Those Neowin comments are always a fountain of hilarity.

In the Vista days I actually defended MS and thought the hate on Vista was totally overblown. Mostly because the criticisms of it were in part completely overblown - like the claim that it cannot play self-recorded MP3s due to DRM and stuff like that. The DRM issue was for the most part just scare (it only came into play with blu-ray and HD-DVD as far as I know. And MS did a terrible job explaining that).

Windows 8 though - that's a real stinker.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that to me, the other people who didn't flip out over Vista back in the days seemed to be quite reasonable. It's really sad that some of them have apparently converted to a full blown metro-cult now.

Edited by Formfiller

Meanwhile... http://www.neowin.ne...hromebook-sales "Acer: Windows 8 "still not successful"; hypes "amazing" Chromebook sales" ...not that Chromebook is any better but yeah... funny nevertheless. :D

I see the children have been busy in that thread posting a hundred mindless comments already. I wish Acer and other OEMs ( that means you too Dell ) read through the stench emanating from the Windows 8 religious cult. Microsoft has really poisoned the customer well in ways that even Apple could not. Get on the wrong side of this cult and they will brutalize you.

The newest NeoWin article up there ...

Windows 8 has surpassed OS X Mountain Lion in market share ( NeoWin 2013-01-28 )

... is a marvel of optimistic desperation. The chart ...

xFXAoJl.jpg

... has them all giddy. But look close, we could also caption it as: "Windows 8 has surpassed 'Other' in market share" :lol:

Nevermind the most important fact that Mac OS is not available for anything other than Apple hardware ( save for the few brave Hackintosh tinkerers ). This business that Microsoft Windows competes with Apple's Mac OS is utterly ridiculous, and as I've always said, it allows the Windows 8 cultist to ignore previous versions of Windows ( the true competitor ) when comparing operating systems and thus avoid all criticism of missing and broken features in a declining product. In short, using Mac OS as a foil clears a path for Windows to be destroyed from within.

Microsoft and their Windows 8 religious cultists better be careful though. Apple could at anytime renounce their unwritten treaty with Microsoft and simply release Mac OS into the wild for any and all x86 hardware. At that point, many will be trying it out and a good number of them might just stay ( not me personally, but those mSheep that really desire to become iSheep ).

EDIT: updated image URL, and again

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

At that point, many will be trying it out and a good number of them might just stay ( not me personally, but those mSheep that really desire to become iSheep ).

I hate to say that, but the iSheep prospect doesn't look so bad now, at least on the deskop. The Mac Appstore offers the real deal applications, not crApps like W8. And "sideloading" is still possible. And although I don't like the OSX GUI paradigm that much, it's miles above failtro.

If Apple would release OSX for PCs, and Microsoft won't correct course, I will say goodbye to Windows. I never thought Apple would be more "free" and less fanboy infested than MS..

What's your take on this?

Edited by Formfiller

New Neowin comments!

http://www.neowin.net/news/hp-revealed-to-be-the-latest-to-join-chromebook-family

And games, LOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOLOL

Games !!! LOLOLOLLOLOLOL

Chromebook has no games, so funny LOL

I am pretty sure these guys discuss Dostoevsky and Wittgenstein in their off-time.

As MS tries to get the average price for PC hardware to go higher so OEMs can actually make more money they seem to still be stuck into this cheap as chips mentality that does nothing but eat into profits.

Yeah, because everyone is rich! Why do companies have financial problems anyway? Not making enough money? Raise prices threefold. Problems solved.

What's your take on this?

I would install it on one computer just for educational purposes. If it were to take off among my clientèle I would be forced to learn something about it.

I have enough Windows installs to last forever. I've been saving the licenses from retired computers, collecting them from others, in short, I am really not worried. If we can bust this Microsoft antirust monopoly and get the OEMs to simply write generic drivers for all Windows we could go on forever. This might require resurrecting the earlier driver SDKs and hammering out some drivers ourselves. But it is too soon to tell what is going to happen. If there was a simple driver model which made the Windows version irrelevant we would already have new hardware and drivers that worked on almost any previous Windows. Now we know why they constantly and needlessly change things requiring a new set of drivers with each new printer or whatever. Planned obsolescence. You upgrade Windows to be able to run new hardware. You upgrade your hardware to run new Windows. This contradicts what an operating system is. You also upgrade your tools and compilers and SDKs to write the new drivers, etc. Wonderful scam they got there.

If I could wave a magic wand I would take the Windows 2K and / or XP source code and liberate it as GPL and also any related necessary patents like FAT and NTFS and USB and etc. This might sound far-fetched at the moment, but Microsoft's position as the supplier of the OS for 90% of all real computers is something far wider and more nefarious than anything John Rockefeller or J.P. Morgan ever had under their direct control. There is literally orders of magnitude of difference now. Microsoft could be broken up spinning off the OS div ( though I personally think they've already made too much money on this OS ) or the product can be taken away as a necessary public service. The old hypothetical question was 'If Standard Oil Microsoft were to press the off switch would the public suffer?' and the answer is obviously yes. Too much power in the hands of very erratic and self-serving management of highly questionable non-existing ethics.

Hopefully it wouldn't degenerate into a million Linux kernels though.

Unless basic math has not been subverted lately - just for the record - being 2.45%=2.45% the condition is called "being equal" or "at the same level".

In plain English is something (that was at a lower level) gets to the same level of something else, you say "it has reached" not "it has surpassed".

Adding the "Windows Touch" (which should be RT) is a non-orthodox operation (and it hasn't been evidenced in the graph).

The actual source:

http://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0&qptimeframe=W

actually talks of "Windows 8 RT Touch" (this only shows how the good Neowin guys are not able to report correctly a string of text) BUT it has OBVIOUSLY mixed some data, as the report is titled:

Desktop Operating System Market Share

I have seen no desktops shipped with a senselessly underpowered ARM processor, but maybe I missed something? :unsure:

If the good guys @NetMarketShare believe in good faith that the Windows RT is a desktop operating system, they have however bigger problems than those Quality Assurance (see below) may fix . :ph34r:

Please note that if we use the same amount of illogical procedure, we can use the 0.02% reported for "Mac OS X (no version reported)" as counter balance for the 0.02% of senselessly inserted in the report for "Windows 8 RT Touch".

More generally citing a single report that has this text (top left):

This report contains preview data that has NOT been reviewed by Quality Assurance.

is not a good example of scientifical method.

If you check the view filtering for "DeviceType=All" aka "Operating System Market Share":

http://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qptimeframe=W&qpcustomd=

Something interesting happens.

The Windows 8 RT Touch that had 0.02% in "Desktop Operating System Market Share" jumps up to 0.07% while Mac OS X 10.8 and Windows 8 that had BOTH 2.45% step down to 2.17%.

HOW can this happen (I mean IF data is real AND math is used correctly?) :w00t:

A given fixed amount divided by a larger number increases? :ph34r:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz