Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

I definetely vote against metro-for-desktop with my wallet!

Though i can see some way for micro$oft to get arround that.

MS will force new contract with OEM only to sells Metros not bundle it with any previous version of Windows,

then when the end-user doesn't like it, MS will sell to end user the "DownGrade Rights" (lesson learned from Vista experiences).

For single unit of desktop computer, MS will got the income from OEM and possibly the end-user as well.

MS will have double income, they can eat the cake and have it too.

Also, it still counts as a Win8 sale, so it'll be the best selling OS ever (according to some twisted math like they've done for Vista)

As soon as I see that there is an interface in existance looking like Metro* on my PC, I immediately ask for refund.

(* or whatever the next "Bob" is called.)

+1 to that.

If Tripredacus is right and it's possible to downgrade even after Win8 is released, then I won't have to rush out and buy the souped-up PC I've been eyeing, for a while longer yet.

--JorgeA

Also, it still counts as a Win8 sale, so it'll be the best selling OS ever (according to some twisted math like they've done for Vista)

*sigh* You're right. Still, I would take that over not being able to get Windows 7 at all once 8 comes out.

Back in the day, did anybody publish reliable statistics as to how many PCs that came with Vista installed got downgraded to XP? I'm sure that there will be some way to estimate how many Win8 systems actually make it to regular use, vs. how many are sold.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Yeah, they already inflate their numbers by counting VLK and OEM sales into their retail figures. Now since they are marketing Windows 8 RT and Windows Phone 8 as "Windows 8" they can just toss those numbers in there too!

Classic Shell 3.5 adds support for Windows 8
and
The Win8 Start Menu replacements are looking better and better. I'll give this a try.

Amazing that we are still at the preview versions and coders already released patches to improve/correct it.

It speaks volume on MS inability to realize what poeple want or wether they care of that.

When the first Unofficial Service Pack for w8 Developer Preview? :D

customizability has been thrown out of the window' date=' they're forcing crappy MS cloud services on users, ARM devices throw 20 years of backwards compatibility out the window (and they also introduce locked bootloaders), the app store that can remotely deactivate apps you paid for[/quote']and
but Metro is the future according to MS. The old desktop and all technology is dead for MS.

MS has decided to turn computers into interractive TV.

They signed at the same time the dead of the PC and the the birth of the shopping & entertainement console.

(Note the "cart" tile on the Metro)

And also the uniformisation of the interfaces. Wether you turn on a TV, a computer or a hand-held device you get the same screen with the same moronic suggestions about last products, fashion, new hits, weather and celebs.

I'm positive that even single moms with kids will hate it.

MS is very deeply underestimating the seriouseness of the regualar home users about their computer.

Just listen to non-geek/tech-ignorant poeple around you complaining about things, not so ignorant and not so non-geek.

IMO in the future, if you want to use your computer as a computer you will have to buy a version of Windows designed for serious, office works.

Because I can't imagine that MS think seriousely about selling W8+Metro to companies and professionals.

Edited by Fredledingue

People who purchase a new Windows 7 PC between June 2012 and January 2013 will be eligible for a discounted upgrade (15$) to Windows 8 Professional, according to this ComputerWorld article.

(Sounds like someone is worried?)

Edited by UltimateSilence

People who purchase a new Windows 7 PC between June 2012 and January 2013 will be eligible for a discounted upgrade (15$) to Windows 8 Professional, according to this ComputerWorld article.

Well the interesting part of this isn't the fact there is an upgrade deal. That has been done before, but before it was free.

Looking at the comment on Sinofsky's blog, the verdict is unanimous: Metro will is a disaster.

With all these negative feedbacks, they would be crazy to go ahead with that. They would face total incomprehension.

Warning: the list of comments is realy huge.

Not only they suck with their OS, they also do with their website.

Uh-oh... Windows 8 will "disappoint": Analysts cut price targets on HP, Dell and Windows Phone ranks below Bada in worldwide sales

While the phone market is still in its infancy, one could argue that kind of news is to be expected for WP7, but because of their "Windows everywhere" strategy, it might very well backfire right into its already hurting new desktop platform as well.

That has been done before, but before it was free.

It's hilarious. They're pushing a worthless update, and you have to pay for it too. I'd much sooner pay $15+ to get rid of it!

Looking at the comment on Sinofsky's blog, the verdict is unanimous: Metro will is a disaster.

And I can tell you for sure that they do censor some of the comments, even if you're not using vulgar language or anything special. I've had very mild comments that just never got posted, as many others have. Either ways, they don't care at all if we all complain or that customers don't want any of it. Metro will be forced down your throat if you have to use Win8.

With all these negative feedbacks, they would be crazy to go ahead with that. They would face total incomprehension.

Yet they will still go ahead with it. It'll make Vista seem like a monumental success.

The RC isn't out yet and everyone already knows it's going to fail hard. Ain't that saying something?

Yep. MS couldn't sell mobile devices even if they came with a free gold ingot. They've failed hard with WinMo devices, they've failed hard with the Zune and the Kin, they're failing hard with Phones, and they're going to fail with tablets next (turning their flagship product into something no one wants to buy in the process)

that kind of news is to be expected for WP7

Seeing how well Windows Mobile phones sold before WP7 phones (they've been trying for a decade), it was very much expected that they would't sell either.

Yeah, they already inflate their numbers by counting VLK and OEM sales into their retail figures. Now since they are marketing Windows 8 RT and Windows Phone 8 as "Windows 8" they can just toss those numbers in there too!

Tripredacus,

Incredible but true...

That's one rationale for making all your devices run on the same interface -- it makes the sales totals look bigger. :rolleyes:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

When the first Unofficial Service Pack for w8 Developer Preview? :D

LOL

MS has decided to turn computers into interractive TV.

They signed at the same time the dead of the PC and the the birth of the shopping & entertainement console.

(Note the "cart" tile on the Metro)

And also the uniformisation of the interfaces. Wether you turn on a TV, a computer or a hand-held device you get the same screen with the same moronic suggestions about last products, fashion, new hits, weather and celebs.

I'm positive that even single moms with kids will hate it.

MS is very deeply underestimating the seriouseness of the regualar home users about their computer.

Just listen to non-geek/tech-ignorant poeple around you complaining about things, not so ignorant and not so non-geek.

+1 on that! IMX most folks who buy a computer treat it pretty seriously. It's not a tablet or a phone: they've got one of those, too, and THAT's the one that gets treated like a platform for trivial stuff.

Each kind of device has its own reasons for existing, but the geniuses at MS seem to be blind to that.

--JorgeA

UltimateSilence,

Hmm... This may sound shocking, given everything that I've been saying all along, but this time-limited offer of an inexpensive upgrade to Win8 may actually get me to purchase one single license. :w00t:

A couple of factors are at play here. Let's assume that the upgrade to Pro brings me one of the necessary steps closer to getting Windows Media Center on Win8. And let's assume that WMC for Windows 8 will have the same lifecycle as Windows 8. And finally, let's assume that the EPG (electronic program guide) isn't going to be provided forever, but rather only during the officially supported lifecycle of the product.

If all three of these hold true, then it might make sense for me to buy one license so that I can extend the supported life of my DVR PC by three years. That PC lives in WMC anyway, so exposure to Metro silliness will stay at a minimum.

Again, this is assuming that, as now a separate add-on, Media Center doesn't end up with its own (truncated) lifespan.

There is NO other reason, though, for me to consider buying a computer with Windows 8, let alone installing that OS on any of my existing computers. I'd rather go without new Windows updates starting in 2017 (Vista) or 2020 (Windows 7). With any luck, by then Microsoft will have been chastened and brought back the possibility of leading a Metro-free life in the Windows ambit.

--JorgeA

You do realize that you have to "purchase a new Windows 7 PC between June 2012 and January 2013" in order to "be eligible for a discounted upgrade (15$) to Windows 8 Professional", right? So that upgrade license is going to cost you a whole lot more than 15$.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt