Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Exactly. There's a handful of people obsessing over how fast it boots when I reboot like once a month. That might save me all of 2 minutes per year! Or indeed, how it would run better on a ten year old computer which I'd never want to use for anything in the first place. As if those are main concerns, especially when Win7 already works great on 5+ year old hardware.

A lot of the talking points from MS on Win8 are about increased boot time. Tossing around figures and times that remind me of my old Win95 PC as far as boot time. I think I only know one person that shuts down their computer at night. Most people just leave them on since the old days of memory corrupting and PC getting slow are things of the past OS like Win95 or 98.

I remember I had like 100-200 days uptime on my work XP machine few years ago, and I used to do all kinds of funky stuff with it :P It DID get slower over time though, but was still very useable.

Anyway, I would love a system that boots even faster. It's not about saving time, it's about being extremely impatient :D

From what I can tell so far, the boot time is "decreased" by moving certain functions to after the desktop shows up. So while full system functionality may take the same amount of time as Windows 7, Windows 8 will appear to boot faster because loading Metro/Desktop is earlier in the order of operations. :rolleyes:

From what I can tell so far, the boot time is "decreased" by moving certain functions to after the desktop shows up. So while full system functionality may take the same amount of time as Windows 7, Windows 8 will appear to boot faster because loading Metro/Desktop is earlier in the order of operations. :rolleyes:

Tripredacus,

So the whole "faster booting" thing may be just an illusion. Lovely.

Speaking of Win8 performance, I came across this report from the field.

What do you think?

--JorgeA

I think I only know one person that shuts down their computer at night

Yes. Especially with sleep that just works and that we don't have to reboot nearly as often as we used to.

Sure, it's nice to have faster boot times but it's a really minor point when you look at the big picture.

Windows needs a lot of work in many areas (I had listed just a few points here before). And when one of them gets addressed it's often in a half-baked, very basic way e.g. how Windows handles zip files natively. It's almost worse than having nothing. Even crappy WinZip 4 from 1995 is a million times better than what Win8 still has... Or just like it's finally getting ISO mounting, but years late and with less features & less supported formats than Daemon Tools 3.02 from 2002. It's like they're not even trying.

So much useful things they could do... but instead of making it a truly fantastic desktop OS i.e. further improving what they had, they force this frankeinstein-ish hybrid smartphone/desktop UI on us which might be okay on a tablet but sucks very badly on a desktop.

Microsoft is currently projected to enjoy just 11 percent of the tablet market four years from now, with iOS and Android growing faster in absolute terms during that period.

Projections can be famously wrong, of course. But assume for the moment that this turns out to be true: is that what MS diminished the Windows UX for?

--JorgeA

Projections can be famously wrong, of course

Indeed. I'd be surprised if they got anywhere near 11%, based on how their Windows Mobile/Windows Phone/Zune/Zune HD/Kin devices are selling. Or not selling rather. Zune, Zune HD and Kin were killed outright, and the phones are well below 1% of the smartphone market share by most website statistics reports. And it's not like it's some new product either: Windows Mobile (now rebranded to Windows Phone) would be 12 years old right now. So much time wasted for so little market share (just like Linux)... You'd think they'd get the point by now and stop pouring money into it. Metro not being very much liked by most (due to being forced on desktops) probably won't help, and WOA tablets being incompatible with anything useful won't help either.

is that what MS diminished the Windows UX for?

Yep. Everyone gets a copy of Windows that sucks because of that.

this also doesn't work well. I've already tried this.

MagicAndre,

What happened when you tried that method?

I'm using a different method to boot to the Desktop (see post #3 on that page), but that one leaves me waiting for several seconds on the Metro screen. If I'm at the computer it would be faster to just click on the Desktop tile, but at least if I'm doing something else during bootup I can have the Desktop already up when I come back and not have to see that Metro start screen. :puke:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

CoffeeFiend,

Wow, amazing. The "progress" (or lack thereof) is even more stark when you consider that those smaller Metro tiles show up on a bigger monitor screen, so that they come out to about as big and gaudy as those Commodore rectangles.

Nice work putting the image together, BTW.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA