Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Here's an explanation (see the comments section) for why Microsoft jumped from Windows 8 to Windows 10:

And because everyone is familiar with the "every other version is bad" rule, Microsoft wants to make it clear that in this case they're skipping straight to the next bad version.

That's one of the best explanation so far! :thumbup

What saddens me :( is the Dedoimedo article you linked before:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-preview.html

Dedoimedo (by definition) is ALWAYS right, but I guess there must be the exception that confirms the Rule.

So, windows 10 is "better" than Windows 8/8.1. <- I wonder HOW the heck they could have made it "worse" :unsure:.

But the point on how much it is better, and I believe that Dedoimedo is overestimating this, at the light of the satisfaction for 

But seriously, this is really nice. Kudos, Microsoft. It does not mean Windows 10 is awesome. It simply tells that a giant managed to adapt and evolve based on the customer feedback and market reaction. It's all good. First, the whole world is not slaving after the touch moronity as some would like you to believe. People still care for real productivity, and it's not all about playing silly games on tiny devices. That's encouraging. Second, Microsoft did not keep on marching blindly. They listened. Great work.

it remembers me good ol' school days where another kid got a better vote grade on a paper than what he actually deserved because he "improved so much from the previous one, and this needs to be appreciated" (while you got a slightly worse one than what would have been fair, only because "you are not doing as much as you can").

jaclaz

Yup!

From reading some of these Win10 reviews, I do get the impression that people are so relieved that Microsoft didn't make things even worse, that they're praising it just for that.

There's no question that it seems to be better than Win8/8.1, but not that much better. Can hardly wait to install it and try it out for myself.

--JorgeA

So Windows 9 no longer exists ... so it won't ever be free for anyone as it never really existed !!! Just missed all this news.

Yes, to back up what @jaclaz said, Windows 10 is the OS that we all expected to be named Windows 9.

To muddle things up even more, word out there is that some of the features that are going into Win10 were originally intended to go into that widely anticipated "Windows 8.1 Update 2" from August that fizzled into practically nothing. The scuttlebutt is that Microsoft decided to hold off on some of the more prominent changes (especially the revived Start Menu) in order to enhance the differences between Win8 and Win(9)10. There's also the idea that Win8 was beyond salvation in the public's eye anyway, so why not save the real changes for the new OS.

Which would mean, of course, that the new OS has even less that is truly "new" in it.

--JorgeA

New Channel9 sparring:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/They-might-have-well-said?page=2

Theme is that "Windows 10 was always planned like this" (i.e: MS planned to remove the start menu in W8 and also planned at W8 release to bring it back in the next major version).

Pretty lulzy theory.

After-the-fact rationalization, if you ask me. "Yeah, I really did intend to crash my car into that wall, so that I could take it to the shop and bring it back all fixed up." :huh:

Best comment I've seen (so far in my reading) --

And sorry, there was no grand plan behind it like some are trying to contruct here ("Win8 was for consumers, Win 10 is for business, and that's all how it was envisioned").

If that's remotely the case - why had Windows Server 2012 the mandatory start screen as well? (I tell you why: Because if Server 2012 had a sane GUI, it would have been so heavily pirated for desktop use, it would probably show up on netmarketshare and that would have been emberassing for MS). 

--JorgeA

Best comment I've seen (so far in my reading) --

And sorry, there was no grand plan behind it like some are trying to contruct here ("Win8 was for consumers, Win 10 is for business, and that's all how it was envisioned").

If that's remotely the case - why had Windows Server 2012 the mandatory start screen as well? (I tell you why: Because if Server 2012 had a sane GUI, it would have been so heavily pirated for desktop use, it would probably show up on netmarketshare and that would have been emberassing for MS). 

--JorgeA

That was mine, so thanks.

The thread gets very hot two pages later, lots of "sour grapes".

I've been making my way through the feedback in the Windows Insiders program for the Win10 Technical Preview, where you can vote to agree with observations, suggestions, and complaints other people have made or to propose your own.

As you might imagine, there is a wide variety of opinions on Metro, the Start Menu vs. the Start Screen, Aero Glass, and the like. If I had to give an estimate, I'd say that more participants favor the choice to get the Win7 UI elements back, than oppose it. There is one pro-Metro guy, though, who really takes the cake. He wrote that,

Truth is, it's the users -- akin to terrorists -- who refuse to let go of antiquated methods and ideology.

So, wanting people to have a CHOICE puts us in the same league as terrorists. Funny -- last time I checked, terrorists wanted everybody else to do things the way THEY prefer. In the Metro vs. Aero debate, whose viewpoint actually comes closer to that position?  :whistle:

Fortunately, no one (yet) has agreed with him.

--JorgeA

P.S. A remarkable number of people have expressed their surprise at discovering that Comic Sans is still in the fonts list...

What does the following headline (and story) say about the place that Surface occupies in the public's mind?

Report: Microsoft ‘Coaching’ NFL Announcers To Say ‘Surface,’ Not iPad

Before the start of this current NFL season, Microsoft paid the NFL $400 million to make its Microsoft Surface the official tablet of the NFL.

However, some announcers are calling the device an iPad or iPad-like tool; so Microsoft will coach these announcers to better identify their device.

:whistle:

--JorgeA

I've been making my way through the feedback in the Windows Insiders program for the Win10 Technical Preview, where you can vote to agree with observations, suggestions, and complaints other people have made or to propose your own.

As you might imagine, there is a wide variety of opinions on Metro, the Start Menu vs. the Start Screen, Aero Glass, and the like. If I had to give an estimate, I'd say that more participants favor the choice to get the Win7 UI elements back, than oppose it. There is one pro-Metro guy, though, who really takes the cake. He wrote that,

Truth is, it's the users -- akin to terrorists -- who refuse to let go of antiquated methods and ideology.

So, wanting people to have a CHOICE puts us in the same league as terrorists. Funny -- last time I checked, terrorists wanted everybody else to do things the way THEY prefer. In the Metro vs. Aero debate, whose viewpoint actually comes closer to that position? :whistle:

Fortunately, no one (yet) has agreed with him.

--JorgeA

P.S. A remarkable number of people have expressed their surprise at discovering that Comic Sans is still in the fonts list...

Microsoft, religions and most politicians are truly terrorists, they have decided whats better for us and it does not matter at all what we say or want they know better. We say different and we get nag updates that yell us were dumb for using a old os we like and know, are going to hell or are given more taxes and obahma care.

A Microsoft bigwig offers a non-explanation for the jump from Windows 8 to Windows 10:

Microsoft's Tony Prophet on why they skipped Windows 9 for Windows 10: 'It came and it went'

Microsoft sort of explains what happened to Windows 9

IMO the reason for the jump is more psychological than substantive in nature. The most plausible explanation is at the end of the Neowin post:

The branding behind Windows 10 will likely work in Microsoft's favor too as it will allow the company to distance itself from Windows 8. While Windows 8 has been significantly updated to improve the mouse and keyboard experience since launch, the reputation damage has already been done.

--JorgeA

Microsoft, religions and most politicians are truly terrorists, they have decided whats better for us and it does not matter at all what we say or want they know better. We say different and we get nag updates that yell us were dumb for using a old os we like and know, are going to hell or are given more taxes and obahma care.

+1

At least with Microsoft, we have a variety of options that don't involve moving to a different country or a deserted island...

Meanwhile, from one of the articles linked to in the post just above here's another fact- and logic-free Win8 defender:

I guess people are simply exaggerating matters... 8 and 8.1 were better (my experience with an older laptop) .... indeed robust and safe OSes unlike past generation windows, though the interface was hard to use with keyboard and mouse.People complain about the touch apps mindlessly... why should MS avoid that ... it is the future of the PC as touchscreen use on laptops and desktops will be inevitable.

However, for those who couldn't catch up MS made a familiar looking... Win 10 with start menu ... yet there ain't a shortage of whiny kids. Going back to XP and 7 would be 2 steps backwards, only to appease the traditional user. The modern UI makes sense to our generation, which is unfortunately inclined towards MacBooks.

Two comments:

1. About "touchscreen use on laptops and desktops" being "inevitable" -- yeah, as soon as human beings develop gorilla-type arms. Either that, or a stronger spine and back muscles to support constantly leaning forward into the laptop/desktop touchscreen for hours at a time.

2. About the Win7 UI being "2 steps backwards" -- going to the Win8 Metro UI is some 5 or 6 steps backwards, all the way to Windows 1.x with its tiled windows, simplistic color schemes, and lack of 3D elements. The commenter speaks of "our generation," which suggests he has no memory of what Windows was like originally... illustrating the saying that "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

--JorgeA

In the famous words of Marx: "Hegel remarks somewhere that all facts and personages of great importance in world history occur, as it were, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as a tragedy, the second time as farce." Windows 8+ is the farce version. Windows 1, the serious one. Even the blue only 1-D logos used by both are akin (the one from Windows 1.0 -2.x is below):

250px-Windows_logo_and_wordmark_-_1985.s

BTW, have you ever heard about the Gorilla Arm Syndrome? It sure applies here, too. Windows 8+ touch interface is disergonomic by design!

There is truth in that quote. And I wonder if the graphics designer who came up with the new Windows logo had any idea that he/she was circling back around some thirty years.

As for Gorilla Arm Syndrome :) ...

The phrase rang a bell, so I did a search of this thread for the term "gorilla." In addition to gorillas of various sizes from a massive 950 pounds, through the proverbial 800 pounds, all the way down to an anemic 75 pounds, there were a few references to "gorilla arms." Here's the first one, by CharlotteTheHarlot.

The first reference to this as a "syndrome" was a couple of months later by HalloweenDocument12.

:lol:

The science against touch interfaces (at least in a professional setting) appears to be slowly building. Here's a journal article I saw referenced in the newspaper last week:

Abstract

The present study investigated whether there were physical exposure and typing productivity differences between a virtual keyboard with no tactile feedback and two conventional keyboards where key travel and tactile feedback are provided by mechanical switches under the keys. The key size and layout were same across all the keyboards. Typing forces; finger and shoulder muscle activity; self-reported comfort; and typing productivity were measured from 19 subjects while typing on a virtual (0 mm key travel), notebook (1.8 mm key travel), and desktop keyboard (4 mm key travel). When typing on the virtual keyboard, subjects typed with less force (p's < 0.0001) and had lower finger flexor/extensor muscle activity (p's < 0.05). However, the lower typing forces and finger muscle activity came at the expense of a 60% reduction in typing productivity (p < 0.0001), decreased self-reported comfort (p's < 0.0001), and a trend indicating an increase in shoulder muscle activity (p's < 0.10). Therefore, for long typing sessions or when typing productivity is at a premium, conventional keyboards with tactile feedback may be more suitable interface.

--JorgeA