Let's make some random percentages DELL's "deals":

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/desktop-all-in-one-deals

1/10 offers only 8.1, all the other offer 7 AND 8.1

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/laptop-tablet-deals

2/10 offer only 8.1 all the other offer 7 AND 8.1

3/20 = 15% Windows 8.1

17/20= 85% Windows 7

HP ones:

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=cYgQ7hab2LMAAAFB.lpn4Tx6&jumpid=in_r11662_Inventory_Clearance_DealsSpot/psgpromo/atlas_homepage/heasmith

Out of 14 items only the two tablets and one desktop has 8.1, all the other have 7 (as downgrade from 8.1):

3/14 = 21%

11/14 = 79%

I would say that DELL and HP are not doing much to push Windows 8/8.1 ... :whistle:

jaclaz

LOL

It's clear that jumping two numbers (from 8 to 10) is an attempt to manufacture additional psychological space between the current OS and what truly should be considered a minor, hardly earth-shaking, revision.

Forget all the talk about "one OS", blah blah blah. What the user experiences is the UI and the underlying functionality. Windows 95/98 was a vastly different experience from 3.11. XP constituted a major change from 98. Vista beautified the computing experience and Win7 improved on it with Jump Lists and a perfected Media Center that could work with U.S. cable systems.

Windows 8 was a deep regression toward the tiling system and visual flatness of Windows 2 -- heck, IIRC it doesn't even have native optical disc playback -- and 8.1 only slightly undid the regression. Windows 9 10 is a bigger step toward recovering the UX advances made from 95 to 7, but to judge from what I've seen, then in terms of what meets my eyes as I get my work done it still has a long way to go to even approach 98 with regard to the esthetics.

I'll be installing it sometime in the next few days, work permitting. Nodding to @MagicAndre :hello: , I'll post where he suggested if the thread seems to be gaining traction, or maybe in one of the other new Win10 threads that have just started. Or I may keep doing it here -- it depends! :)

--JorgeA

From a Win8 fan, an analysis of what went wrong with Windows 8:

Microsoft gets slapped in the face thanks to Windows 8, will Windows 10 be a fix?

A common sentiment since the announcing of Windows 10 is that Microsoft took too big of a step with Windows 8. If only they had slowly eased users into it, it would’ve been loved. I think that idea is a romanticization of the deep-rooted problems with Windows 8, and ignores the legitimate mistakes in Microsoft’s vision. Let me show you the path Microsoft has taken to Windows 10.

It is not that Windows 8 was too much change, it was just exclusive change for touch oriented Window devices that barely anyone owned.

Oh, and down in the comments section check out the Win8 diehard who named himself "Harrison Ford." :rolleyes:  His side lost the argument in the marketplace of ideas and he's p*ssed. Talk about a ragefest...

--JorgeA

Here's an explanation (see the comments section) for why Microsoft jumped from Windows 8 to Windows 10:

And because everyone is familiar with the "every other version is bad" rule, Microsoft wants to make it clear that in this case they're skipping straight to the next bad version.

:lol:

--JorgeA

Another thought on where to post. This thread became a place to comment on Microsoft-related issues generally, not just on Windows 8 specifically. So I'll keep posting here for Microsoft topics. Posts that compare Windows 10 to Windows 8 (better? worse?) also have a place here, of course, as they result from the Win8 fiasco.

Sooner or later this thread will run its natural course. It's already run much, much longer than I ever expected it to. :thumbup

--JorgeA

And speaking of Microsoft issues, there is yet ANOTHER Windows Update that appears to be giving fits to some users.

If all the reports are true and in fact are related to KB3001554, here we have an Update that has managed to: 

1. Leave Windows unresponsive
  2. Prevent Windows from booting
  3. Render a Bluetooth mouse useless
  4. Remove Skype
  5. Break DVD playback (ironic, because the Update supposedly is to "improve customer experiences in DVD playback")
  6. Make a game unplayable

Don't know how widespread the problems are with that Update, but in terms of the sheer variety of issues created it must be some sort of record.

And all for an Update that's given a remarkably vague and unspecific description:

This update helps Microsoft improve customer experiences in DVD playback in Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).

Glad that I now research my Windows Updates before installing them. This one smelled fishy and I took an especially hard look at it. I've hidden the Update from my Win7 systems.

Doesn't bode well for that "versionless Windows," continuous update strategy that's being talked about with the introduction of Windows 10.

--JorgeA

Doesn't look like that particular one is for Win 8.1, but that update sounds scary.  I'm glad you research your updates - everyone should.  I have long wondered whether/when Microsoft would start sending out updates that intentionally degrade users' experiences with existing operating systems.  If you think I'm being paranoid, reference the replacement of software (e.g., IE) that eschews the selected theme in Win 7 and brings Win 8 flat, lifeless looks.  If you think they're above manipulation, well then, I have some swamp land beautiful natural property to sell here in sunny south Florida...

-Noel

Here's an explanation (see the comments section) for why Microsoft jumped from Windows 8 to Windows 10:

And because everyone is familiar with the "every other version is bad" rule, Microsoft wants to make it clear that in this case they're skipping straight to the next bad version.

That's one of the best explanation so far! :thumbup

What saddens me :( is the Dedoimedo article you linked before:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-preview.html

Dedoimedo (by definition) is ALWAYS right, but I guess there must be the exception that confirms the Rule.

So, windows 10 is "better" than Windows 8/8.1. <- I wonder HOW the heck they could have made it "worse" :unsure:.

But the point on how much it is better, and I believe that Dedoimedo is overestimating this, at the light of the satisfaction for 

But seriously, this is really nice. Kudos, Microsoft. It does not mean Windows 10 is awesome. It simply tells that a giant managed to adapt and evolve based on the customer feedback and market reaction. It's all good. First, the whole world is not slaving after the touch moronity as some would like you to believe. People still care for real productivity, and it's not all about playing silly games on tiny devices. That's encouraging. Second, Microsoft did not keep on marching blindly. They listened. Great work.

it remembers me good ol' school days where another kid got a better vote grade on a paper than what he actually deserved because he "improved so much from the previous one, and this needs to be appreciated" (while you got a slightly worse one than what would have been fair, only because "you are not doing as much as you can").

jaclaz

OK ... a stupid question from an XP user. A short time ago I posted a link to an article from Asia about the possibility of Windows 9 being "free" when it is released ... also there was some mention that there might be a special deal for XP users in some way.

I'm not following these newer OSs too much since I will probably remain with XP anyway. However reading these posts over the last few days ... I'm a bit confused. All the talk is now Windows 10 and jumping from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

Simple question ... where is Windows 9 fitting into all this or it doesn't fit. Is Windows 9 just an "enhansed" update for Windows 8 but being called Windows 9 ???

There is no talk or mention of Windows 9 ... just talk of jumping from Windows 8 to Windows 10 ... so there appears to be "no real interest" in Windows 9.

I'm just curious about all this ... you guys know the new stuff coming on the horizon. I would have never posted the link to the article ... that Windows 9 could be possibilty free, it seems to already be "ancient history".

... OK I just now spotted a post by JorgeA:

Here's an explanation (see the comments section) for why Microsoft jumped from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

So Windows 9 no longer exists ... so it won't ever be free for anyone as it never really existed !!! Just missed all this news.

Edited by monroe

Windows 9 does not (and never existed and will not) exist, it is , if not "ancient", "recent" history, but anyway belongs to the past.

The experimental "new" (please note the double quotes) Operating System from Microsoft called (internal name or "codename") "Threshold" that was expected to be called "Windows 9" has been officially announced as "Windows 10".

This should also tell you something on how reliable is the source you posted here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172795-windows-9-to-be-free-for-everybody-who-can-say/

There is nothing particularly complex, for months people guessed that the name of the thing would have been Windows 9 (should have been 8.2) and these guesses were wrong and the thing was called Windows 10 (should still have been 8.2).

jaclaz

I mostly look around for XP news these days so I missed all these Windows 10 developments ... I only found the article, that I posted earlier about, interesting since it made mention of Windows XP.

I asked to have the post removed since it is no longer relevant.

I asked to have the post removed since it is no longer relevant.

Well, it wouldn't be "fair", if we were to delete anything that was not relevant from all books, news and forums we would have pretty much few things remaining.

Actually the sheer irrelevance of that specific piece of news makes them relevant IMHO, at least to teach us to distinguish between guesses, hypothesis and (later) reality .

jaclaz