Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Wow, is IE's reputation really that bad?

Microsoft internally debated rebranding Internet Explorer

--JorgeA

GEEZ, how I hate people who think it matters what the ******* software is called!!!

Microsoft needs to fire every ******* one of them with extreme prejudice.

I'm holding back here out of common decency.  THESE very people are the ones ruining the world!!!!!!!!

-Noel

Get your disk drives ready:

Microsoft to deliver Windows 'Threshold' tech preview around late September

Microsoft is aiming to deliver a "technology preview" of its Windows "Threshold" operating system by late September or early October, according to multiple sources of mine who asked not to be named.

First, the good news:

...Threshold is expected to include a number of new features that are aimed at continuing to improve Windows' usability on non-touch devices and by those using mice and keyboards alongside touch.

Among those features — according to previous leaks — are a new "mini" Start Menu; windowed Metro-Style applications that can run on the Desktop; virtual desktops; and the elimination of the Charms bar that debuted as part of Windows 8. Cortana integration with Windows Threshold is looking like it could make it into the OS, as well.

But now for the not-so-good news:

And in a move that signals where Microsoft is heading on the "servicability" front, those who install the tech preview will need to agree to have subsequent monthly updates to it pushed to them automatically, sources added.

I still have the Win8 Developer Preview installed on one machine. I fire it up every so often to remind myself just how bad it was. The CP and RP are on it, too, chronicling how Aero Glass got progressively obliterated.

Hmm, maybe I can make image files of each Win9 iteration as it comes out and gets installed.

--JorgeA

Wow, is IE's reputation really that bad?

Microsoft internally debated rebranding Internet Explorer

--JorgeA

GEEZ, how I hate people who think it matters what the ******* software is called!!!

Microsoft needs to fire every ******* one of them with extreme prejudice.

I'm holding back here out of common decency.  THESE very people are the ones ruining the world!!!!!!!!

-Noel

LOL

I hear you. Style (branding) over substance.

Maybe they think that, "if you name a mousetrap better, the world will beat a path to your door."

--JorgeA

Get your disk drives ready ...

Nah, I'm not interested in anything post-Se7en anymore, no such crap will infect none of my SSDs.

And in a move that signals where Microsoft is heading on the "servicability" front, those who install the tech preview will need to agree to have subsequent monthly updates to it pushed to them automatically, sources added.

Heh heh yeah sure. :yes:

a_001AlMatthews.jpg

"Look into my eye!"

...  "Agincourt Salute" ...

Ha ha I like that. :thumbup

... A commonly repeated legend claims that the two-fingered salute or V sign derives from a gesture made by longbowmen fighting in the English and Welsh army at the Battle of Agincourt (1415) during the Hundred Years' War. According to the story, the French were in the habit of cutting off the arrow-shooting fingers of captured English and Welsh longbowmen, and the gesture was a sign of defiance on the part of the bowmen, showing the enemy that they still had their fingers, or, as a widespread pun puts it, that they could still "pluck yew" ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign#Origins

Hmm, maybe I can make image files of each Win9 iteration as it comes out and gets installed.

It's an ideal application for a virtual machine.  VMware offers "snapshots" that give you the ability to nearly instantly load any saved image, and will start it running right where it was when you made the snapshot..

And at no time do you have to commit to actually USING the thing.  Your host system happily remains on the OS you've chosen to use.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure, if you actually read where the actual content is (and not the vague report by PC world):

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/users-find-fix-botched-kb-2982791-and-kb-2970228-windows-update-248476

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/blue-screen-stop-0x50-after-applying-update/6da4d264-02d8-458e-89e2-a78fe68766fd?page=1&tm=1408359736278

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/blue-screen-stop-0x50-after-applying-update/6da4d264-02d8-458e-89e2-a78fe68766fd?page=5

It seems like the affected systems of the actual BSOD with error code 0x50 are only Windows 7 64 bit :unsure:.

The good MS guys only admit (on the Italian page):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791/it

and on the (say) German page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791/de

that the issue may be not being able to change some fonts (and probably this will happen on all supported operating systems, but obviously not a severe issue as a non-booting machine).

On the English page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791/en-us

there are INSTEAD 3 "known issues", including the BSOD one, but since the article is "Security Update related" and they "are investigating on it" they don't state which systems are affected by what in detail.

(As a side note, I believe that someone at MS is not caring much about managing their non-English sites, they could print in large friendly letters "Only use the en-us site, learn English, to make that easier we are removing the stupid "automatic landing" on detected language page" ) 

So, for all we know it could be part of the conspiracy :w00t::ph34r: to promote the upgrade to the stupid Windows 8 ;).

jaclaz

Conspiracy?  Maybe.  Someone in that darkest of professions, Marketing, once said something like "news is free advertising".

Do you know anyone personally who had actual problems with the updates?  For me my system remained stable.  So why not manufacture a little buzz and make themselves look like heroes for caring so much about our computing experience that they would call back a potentially unstable update?  Who knows whether the ones they claim we should uninstall actually do anything?

I'm Imaginining a think tank of these folks who have made a list of everything having to do with Microsoft's good reputation (e.g., in this case that they roll out Windows Updates that fix our problems) and then discussing how to leverage each item into something newsworthy.  Marketing at the pHD level.

sheeple-paranoia.jpg

-Noel