Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

... The first place grand prize for sheeple bah-ing and bleating goes to the fanboy in this exchange ...

"It's remarkably hilarious how people get all bent out of shape over such UI change like this.

I mean... MY GOD.. you'd think some had just walked muddy boots all over your priceless Persian rug.

OH NO WHAT EVER WILL WE DO!!!

bunch of sissys."

"Lots of people got bent out of shape with Win8's Start Screen too. Just how it is. Some like the changes, some don't, doesn't mean the latter are "sissys"."

"oh yea, I don't mind the base concept of the start screen but I generally dislike the how works.

But I take it like a man."

Ummm, :no: sorry. That is most certainly *not* 'taking it like a man'. Listen up fanboy. By bending over, grabbing your ankles with a smile on your face you are doing the exact opposite - taking it like a woman. Try again sweetie.

Right below the developer of Pale Moon had this to say:

The moment someone breaks with standard UI conventions and removes essential customization features on a piece of software that got its following for being customizable, then people get bent out of shape. Why are you surprised? Do you really think people get upset because they like that state of mind so much?

BTW in the last iteration of PM the search default is DuckDuckGo.

"oh yea, I don't mind the base concept of the start screen but I generally dislike the how works.

But I take it like a man."

Ummm, :no: sorry. That is most certainly *not* 'taking it like a man'. Listen up fanboy. By bending over, grabbing your ankles with a smile on your face you are doing the exact opposite - taking it like a woman. Try again sweetie.
For NO apparent reason :w00t: (an image is worth a thousand words ;)):

h628C4619.jpeg

:whistle:

jaclaz

HECK! :w00t:

Even when they do the right thing, the manage to make it *somehow* wrong. :ph34r:

Preamble:

• DLL Hell was HELL
  • WinSxS is pure Evil (not in itself, but in the way it is setup/used)

The news are that besides the (much needed but scarcely publicized) CleanUp tool for Windows 7 which came with KB2852386:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2852386/en-us

and with the /spsuperseded DISM option (still in Windows 7 SP1)

(and in addition to the also scarcely publicized DISM /online options in 8.1):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn251565.aspx

The good guys at MS have decided to AUTOMATE the cleanup :ph34r:

Here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2014/03/06/what-s-new-in-windows-servicing-part-1.aspx

§ Package is older than defined age threshold

· Only packages that have been superseded for a specified number of days (default of 30 days) will be removed by the automated deep clean task. In order maintain user responsiveness automatic Component Store Cleanup will perform package uninstall operations one at a time, checking to see if a stop has been requested in between each package.

· The Component Store Cleanup maintenance task will be incorporated into the component platform scavenging maintenance task. This task runs every 1 week, with a deadline of 2 weeks. This ensures that scavenging and deep clean processing happens relatively quickly after patches are released on patch Tuesday.

I am sure that a lot of people will appreciate this effort to simplify their lives :yes:, I am much less convinced of the practical outcome IF something goes wrong :unsure:.

jaclaz

I've already posted those DISM improvements 2 years ago here on msfn.

Well, noone said "the DISM improvements that MagicAndre1981 failed to post news about in a timely fashion on msfn.org", only "scarcely publicized" (meaning by the good MS guys).

I can find alright traces of them in your posts:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150347-win-7-ignorant-please-help/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/167877-important-update-for-windows-7-to-cleanup-updates/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/153742-dism-improvements-in-windows-8/

But I am failing to see the point :unsure:

What I believed were "news" were just:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2014/03/06/what-s-new-in-windows-servicing-part-1.aspx

the others were just "background info".

jaclaz

Well that fits the current Office business model. If I don't have Office (such as at home) I only get those document viewers.

The thing that is strange is that Office still sells for big bucks, even with other free alternatives on the market. My guess is that people are still paying for it.

I think many people just don't trust free software. If they charge money for it, it must be worth it, right? Of course if they read this thread then fewer folks would trust MS. :)

Cheers and Regards

Office for iPad is surpassing Windows 8 and the xbone in terms of NuMicrosoft fail - you need a subscription just to edit documents!

I've decided this warranted another C9 rant (scroll down):

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Office-for-iPad

:thumbup

Very good, and incisive as usual. The description of a typical iPad user's hypothetical reaction is right on the mark:

"The browser doesn't need a subscription, all other office applications by Apple and other vendors don't need subscription, media players don't need subscription, all various editors and tools don't need a subscription - but Office does? Why? I have used Office on Windows, it didn't need a subscription there, why do I have to pay a fee every year for a word processor on a tabet, when I didn't need to this on my PC?"

--JorgeA

Well that fits the current Office business model. If I don't have Office (such as at home) I only get those document viewers.

The thing that is strange is that Office still sells for big bucks, even with other free alternatives on the market. My guess is that people are still paying for it.

The even stranger thing is that noone (or very, very few) know how to use Word or Excel (which by now are like 15 years old and haven't changed that much in functionalities) besides writing a (badly formatted/punctuated) simple letter or put together a (totally unclear) simple columnar report (often with "typed numbers" and not "formulas", let alone "proper" ones).

I see it a lot like those people that spend big money on a supercar and then cannot drive it properly.

I have run for years (to candidates that had in their curricula stated "good Excel (or Office) knowledge") a simple test, i.e. create a simple multiply table from 1 to 10 in the least possible number of steps (either key presses or mouse actions), i.e. recreate this:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/multiplication-table-10-bw.html

in Excel.

No real time limit given, say 15-20 minutes to think and make some tests.

I can make it fine in 33 of such "moves" (i believe that the real minimum is 30 or so :unsure:), it is rare the case of a candidate that can make it in less than 100, most often tens or hundreds :w00t: more.

Same goes for Word, ask anyone in your office to make a "common" template for your business letters and use the "mail merge" feature to send it to a few people in a contacts/address list... :ph34r:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Is suicide is contagious? ...

Firefox 'Australis' UI revamp now in Mozilla's beta test channel ( NeoWin 2014-03-21 )

The beta build shows off what will become the new user interface for Firefox when it becomes part of the public build for the browser later this spring, most likely as Firefox 29. Mozilla's blog states:

Weve changed the tab structure and functionality in Firefox to enable you to focus on your Web content. Tabs have a more fluid and streamlined shape, sit higher up in the browser and tabs that are not in use have been visually de-emphasized. Weve also moved the bookmark manager next to the bookmark star in your Firefox toolbar to make it easy to save your favorite sites for one click access.

That's the bureaucratic version of p!ssing on someone's head and telling them it's raining! [...]

:D

Another day, another UI ruined. Oh, well...

What's with this business of eliminating the visual distinction between tabs that are not currently in focus, and the surrounding window frame? The "not in focus" tab looks like a window title.

--JorgeA

About Office for the iPad, from the March 27 print edition of the Wall Street Journal:

ales prospects for Office on the iPad seem far from certain, judging by the response of people like David Austin.

Mr. Austin, head of information technology operations for a chain of 56 car dealerships and auto-body shops, is happy with an iPad app from Quip Inc., which offers a more limited set of word processing and instant messaging tools. Employees in Utah and other states use Quip for many tasks, including the creation of a weekly to-do list that his team can see on smartphones, tablets and computers.

He fears that Office could be too clunky as a substitute. "It's too complicated and there are too many pieces," he said.

--JorgeA

Fallout from Microsoft's Windows 8 leak investigation:

Microsoft to stop invading customers’ privacy

Microsoft has promised to stop reading suspected pirates’ emails but instead report them to the police, changing its policy in response to consumer outrage after it was revealed that the company accessed a personal Hotmail account.

Brad Smith, Microsoft’s general counsel, said that, “effective immediately”, the company would not inspect a customer’s private content, even though it had been legal to do so when someone was suspected of trafficking in stolen Microsoft intellectual property.

[...]

In the past week, other email providers have also been accused of having privacy policies that allow them to access private content if they suspect wrongdoing against their company. Google said its terms of service legally permitted such access to Gmail but denied having done it.

Mr Smith said Microsoft was now working with privacy advocates including the Electronic Frontier Foundation to discuss “important questions” on privacy for the future of digital services, and invited other companies to join the project.

Or they could just ask the NSA to peer into customers' e-mails for them -- no warrant necessary...

--JorgeA

P.S. WZOR's website is still down; though perhaps not the target of MSFT's attentions, he may have been collateral damage.

Edited by JorgeA

Microsoft quietly discontinues Surface Wireless Keyboard Adapter

The Wireless Keyboard Adapter, which sold for $59.99, is shown as being "out of stock" on the Microsoft online store. While there were some negative reviews of the peripheral from those who managed to buy it, quite a few others were positive. A few of those reviews noted that the Bluetooth drivers for the Surface were in need of updating to recognize the touch gestures Microsoft supports with Windows 8.1.

As Charlotte would say: Wait, wut? Here are Microsoft-designed and Microsoft-built doohickies made specifically for Windows 8, they're in control of the whole process, and even Microsoft itself can't manage to make them work together on their own touch abomination creation?

And a year ago they had the nerve to blame the OEMs for supposedly dropping the ball on devices that would make the most of Windows 8...

--JorgeA

Office for iPad is surpassing Windows 8 and the xbone in terms of NuMicrosoft fail - you need a subscription just to edit documents!

I've decided this warranted another C9 rant (scroll down):

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Office-for-iPad

:thumbup

Very good, and incisive as usual. The description of a typical iPad user's hypothetical reaction is right on the mark

There's quite a shocker on page 2 that could traumatize you... some user revealed the incredible: Did you know that Apple provides software like iWork to ultimately... make money from it?!!!!!!

SHOCKING!