Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

In less encouraging news...

New surveillance technology can track everyone in an area for several hours at a time

As Americans have grown increasingly comfortable with traditional surveillance cameras, a new, far more powerful generation is being quietly deployed that can track every vehicle and person across an area the size of a small city, for several hours at a time. Although these cameras can’t read license plates or see faces, they provide such a wealth of data that police, businesses and even private individuals can use them to help identify people and track their movements.

Already, the cameras have been flown above major public events such as the Ohio political rally where Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) named Sarah Palin as his running mate in 2008, McNutt said. They’ve been flown above Baltimore; Philadelphia; Compton, Calif.; and Dayton in demonstrations for police. They’ve also been used for traffic impact studies, for security at NASCAR races and at the request of a Mexican politician, who commissioned the flights over Ciudad Juárez.

Great -- imagine what the East German Stasi or segregationist authorities in Mississippi could have done with this technology in 1989 or 1963, had it existed then.

They were used in demonstrations for police? It sounds a lot likelier that they would be used in demonstrations against police. Politicians know which side their bread is buttered on.

--JorgeA

Short Takes: February 7, 2014 ( Thurrott 2014-01-07 )

Xbox and Bing: Should they stay or should they go?

I'm always happy to see the discussion turn to whether Microsoft should shed its money-losing Xbox and Bing businesses because the answer is so obvious -- yes -- and the decision to do so is so overdue. But those who disagree with that assessment need to understand that spinning off Xbox and Bing doesn't mean they go away: Microsoft can of course ensure that they have lengthy access to the technologies and brands and can continue using them, and improving on them, in future products. The notion that Xbox branding or obscure Bing "integration" in Windows is somehow valuable or even desirable is misguided at best, but whatever: Spinning off these businesses would leave them unencumbered by the debt of the past (good for them) and would leave Microsoft unencumbered by future losses that it can no longer sustain. As smaller, independent firms (which Microsoft could of course still own a part of), both Xbox and Bing could flourish. And seriously, isn't Bing the type of thing that Microsoft should be investing in (like Facebook, Twitter or Foursquare) and not something it should own? Of course it is.

One of his commenters disagrees ...

You're still far off the mark Paul on MS getting rid of Xbox and Bing. Think for a second where MS would be on the tablet front without Surface. Nowhere is the answer, because their "hardware partners" would have come out with warmed over laptops with touch and called it a day. They need the capabilities to "do it" to force their partners to innovate and keep up. Otherwise welcome to the Google monopoly.

Spin out Xbox and suddenly the push into the livingroom dies; integration with Windows 8 (SmartGlass, app transfer, etc.) goes to the back burner as the "new owner" is busy trying to "out PS4 the PS4" as a game console. Suddenly MS is right back at the same spot where they want better livingroom reach and integration but have to rely on a "partner" that doesn't share those goals. Google and Apple are both pushing into the livingroom with their own devices for a reason, not "waiting for a partner" to help them out.

Saying that a "small agile startup" is the place for Bing is just absurd; the only reason that it has any traction at all is because MS continues to invest heavily on R&D, something that VCs will quickly put an end to in a startup (they'd be trying to figure out every square inch where they could sell an ad). Spinning off Bing is handing the world of search, mapping and voice to Google, and suddenly MS finds itself once again having to rely on a non-goal aligned partner for search, mapping, etc. for all its products (seen a "modern" UI Google app lately? Support for Windows Phone? Didn't think so).

Spoken like a MicroZealot completely oblivious to the facts and in a panic over a crazy world where Microsoft fails in its effort to "push" its way into search, and the living room. "Think for a second where MS would be on the tablet front without Surface." ? What? Don't you think that horse has left the barn already?

Satya Nadella is 'a sheep, a follower' says ex-Microsoft exec. 'He can neither spell consumer nor device' says Joachim Kempin ( UK Register 2014-01-06 )

Lyons says Kempin opined to him that Insiders say the guy has not done anything impressive at all. So he will struggle getting attention and respect. A one-time intimate of Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer, Kempin also feels the two former CEOs' presence on Microsoft's board will be disruptive because their influence runs deep. Conflict, he feels, is certain.

Kempin has argued that Microsoft needs to divest itself of some businesses in order to grow, but feels Nadella won't adopt his strategy.

I think we can say the honeymoon is officially over, well at least for this ex-Softie.

More Windows 8.1 Update 1 features revealed, including jumplists for Modern apps ( NeoWin 2014-01-08 )

But we can't have that, can we? :no:

They really need to come up with something better than the taskbar. The taskbar floating on top of full screen modern apps looks so dumb.

They don't have to keep the task switcher they came up with for 8.0, but to combine the two at the same time is just a sloppy confusing mess. Come up with a unified task switcher that can manage the whole OS and works well with mouse or finger (without a lot of fussing manual setup). It is not as hard as it sounds. It's been 20 years, it's time to evolve your software.

100% agreed. I don't understand what is going through the minds of the current Windows development team - it's like it has been taken over by aliens. It's shoddy design, nothing like Windows 8 and 8.1

Microsoft is in competition on the touch UI front, not the desktop front. The uphill battle is against iOS and Android, not OS X and Linux. If Windows starts to look poorly compared to iOS, that's it for Microsoft in the tablet business.

So I don't understand what is going through their minds to allow this kind of half-assed "design" to pass approval. To attempt to pacify haters who will never accept Windows 8. Just because it's Windows 8.

If they "start to look poorly"? If? :lol: The so-called haters who "never accept it" have been warning them for four frickin' years. Microsoft and you fanboys have chosen not to listen. Now you gotta #DealWithIt.

Microsoft: 100,000 Windows 8 devices to be used by Miami's public school system ( NeoWin 2014-01-06 )

Microsoft has signed up a huge new education-based customer that plans to order and use a ton of Windows 8 devices. In a post on the company's official blog, Microsoft announced that Miami-Dade County Public Schools, the fourth largest public school system in the US, will offer 100,000 Windows 8 devices to students and staff members by August 2015.

The blog states that the roll out will begin this spring when 13,000 of the school systems elementary school students will get laptops, and 15,000 7th grade civics students and 9th grade world history students will be able to use Windows 8 devices. The blog did not state the specific hardware products the students will be using.

Ironic that our schools post signs nearby that state "Drug Free Zone" because within their very walls they are free to inject and addict kids to Apple and Microsoft products so the tots grow up to become healthier consumer sheeple. But it's worse than that. These are apparently Microsoft Tiles Playskool toys. So our already low expectations for public schooling just bottomed out.

Fiscally speaking, I hope the dummies in Miami enjoy their upcoming school tax bills. Oh there will be the usual propaganda about wonderful discounts and deals, but everyone says that. Suckers.

Microsoft posts 'Walking Dead' mid-season premiere on Xbox Live before it airs ( NeoWin 2014-01-08 )

AMC's popular zombie drama "The Walking Dead" is scheduled to air its mid-season premiere on Sunday, but some viewers have already seen the episode thanks to an accidental leak by Microsoft.

News of the leak first surfaced on Reddit, where a post said the episode was made available for free on Xbox Live. The episode was pulled by Microsoft shortly after the leak, and it doesn't appear to have made its way to any file-sharing websites or services.

And yet another royal screwup, one that could cost them dearly. If you were a plain old citizen, or an employee of AMC and leaked it or distributed it, there just might be a SWAT team showing up at your door.

How-To: Install Gadgets for Windows 8.1 (really...?) ( NeoWin 2014-01-08 )

WARNING: THIS SOFTWARE IS A 3RD PARTY PROGRAM AND INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK Some of you avid Microsoft fans may still be mourning the loss of the notorious desktop clock (or raving in joy), or the much loved RSS Feeder. Well now there's a way to get them back, unofficially of course. Using a nifty little download, you can emulate the same much loved (or hated) feature that was present in the previous operating systems.

[...]

Head over to 8gadgetpack.net and download the installer that's on the front page (beware of the ads, they can look deceiving, its the one on the right hand side.)

And naturally all the NeoGirls start to wail like little bitches. One adult tries to penetrate their thick mindless skulls ...

Don't you know that how someone else wants to use THEIR computer is none of YOUR business or concern?

Some people like a different clock because it's their style, or it's pretty, or it matches their wallpaper, or...a million other reasons that don't have anything to do with your desire to run what they might consider a more spartan, ugly, or boring desktop.

This isn't Apple here. Windows is supposed to be for the 95% who actually do Think Different(ly).

That's exactly right. These are intolerant little children.

Windows Experience Blog: Help your friends and family get off Windows XP ( Brandon LeBlanc Blogs.Windows.com 2014-01-07 )

Microsoft tries to get tech savvy customers to help get rid of Windows XP ( NeoWin 2014-01-08 )

How desperate is Microsoft in its quest to get as many people to stop using Windows XP? Based on the tone of a new blog post from the company today, it's very desperate to stop folks from using the 12-year old operating system before it stops supporting it on April 8th.

The post on the Windows Experience blog says that if you are reading it, "its unlikely you are running Windows XP on your PC However, you may know someone who is and have even served as their tech support." Therefore, Microsoft seems to think that you are the perfect person to spread "the word to ensure people are safe and secure on modern up-to-date PCs."

It suggests that readers help others with Windows XP to see if that PC can run Windows 8.1 or simply buy a new computer with the newest version of the OS installed. The blog adds, "Once they choose and buy a new device, they can transfer their files from their old PC by copying them to an external hard drive, USB flash drive, or cloud storage like SkyDrive."

A 'new computer with the newest OS', yes that would be very convenient for Microsoft, and the spying spooks. Beware of Greeks offering gifts, in this case you just know there is a surprise waiting inside. And how about that load of crap: "spread the word to ensure people are safe and secure on modern up-to-date PCs.". Yes, they actually said 'PC's' and not 'Operating Systems' because the OS hard sell has failed them miserably and repeatedly, so they now fall back on lies implying that a PC regardless of hardware and software and OS is not "up-to-date" unless it has Microsoft Tiles ruining it ( not a typo ). It's pretty amazing the depths these Softies will plumb, especially this Brandon LeBlanc. Literal fearmongering is all they have left in their toolbox. Couple this with the insane Scroogle and similar recent unprofessionalism you have to wonder if there are any sane people still employed there.

The NeoKids tried but failed to make this one an XP FUDFest, and lots of them took a good thumping from the adults. Best comment so far: "Listen and understand. Windows XP is out there. It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and it absolutely will not stop. Until you are dead."

Meanwhile, over at Brandon LeBlanc's official little Microsoft blog where the article originates check out the bloody carnage. :lol: This comment hits it out of the park ...

I have Windows 7 on a very modern computer with a very decent graphics card that's build for gaming. I have 16 GBs of RAM and a Core i5 CPU. I even have an SSD. I'm also taking classes in college to get into the IT field. As for my feelings of Windows 8/8.1, they are as follows... IT SUCKS!

Let's see, how does it suck you may ask. People expect Windows to look and behave a certain way because that's how it has always been for more than fifteen years. When you see a program window and you want to close it, you find the X button in the upper-right corner of the window. If you want to see a listing of programs that's installed on your computer you go to the Start Menu (NOT START SCREEN!). People expect to have a desktop with icons on it, not God awful ugly multi-color boxes that have no indication of whether or not it's something you have to click on or if it's just there to look pretty.

OK, so people have asked me this about Windows 8. Why not just install Classic Shell? Its free, you can get the Start Menu back on Windows 8. Whats to complain about now?

Hmm Classic Shell, you say? Id need way more than that to have Windows 8.1 look even close to past versions of Windows.

First Id have to get WindowBlinds ($9.99) because Microsoft arbitrarily decided that they would remove Areo. Seriously? Why?! Aero was nice, I liked the translucent window borders!

Second Id have to get ModernMIX ($4.99) because I cant stand the even few times I have to go to Metro land to change some setting that oh crap, you cant change that in desktop land you have to do that in Metro land and meanwhile were going to assault your eyes while transitioning to it.

That leaves the traditional Start Menu. You could go with Classic Shell but while youre already using several Stardock programs you might as well use Start8, thats $4.99. At this point youre going to have to spend $20 for various Stardock programs. Or, better yet get Windows 7 that you dont need to buy all of that just to have Windows look and behave like Windows should look and behave.

Sorry Microsoft, again, as I have said on other sites you really screwed the pooch with Windows 8/8.1 on the desktop.

And that's just the very beginning, see the comments for yourself. :lol:

EDIT: that quoted comment is no longer the leadoff remark, in fact I'm not sure what they did. It still exists but for me it now appears in retard order ( newest first ). As of now the oldest are at the bottom and there are no sorting buttons ( on Opera ). As of this writing, you need to start reading from the bottom of the page and go up ( yep, I'm serous ). But don't miss this thread, it is a bona fide slaughter!

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

A bona fide mystery is afoot ...

Frustratingly Addictive Flappy Bird Game Makes $50,000 Per Day ( Maximum PC 2014-01-06 )

'Flappy Bird' earns $50,000 per day in ad revenue for its creator ( TechSpot 2014-01-06 )

Flappy Bird developer Dong Nguyen is laughing all the way to the bank as his game averages $50,000 in ad revenue per day.

Nguyen revealed the obscene figure during an interview with The Verge. I say "obscene" because the app is so incredibly basic. For those of you who haven't played it yet, your task is to tap the screen to keep a pixelated bird airborne while avoiding pipes that look borrowed from Super Mario Bros. That's it. Tap, tap, tap -- curse like a sailor. Rinse and repeat. I spent the better part of last evening ignoring the basketball game I meant to watch and intead trying to earn a respectible score in Flappy Bird -- I ended up with a high of 20 points.

... but less than 48 hours later ...

Apparently the stress of having one of the top games in the world right now is just too much for Nguyen. In a message on Twitter, the developer said he would be pulling the game around noon on Sunday. He apologized and said he simply couldnt take it anymore.

Nguyen assured everyone that the decision wasnt related to legal issues and he also claimed he hadnt sold the game.

sutffffffff.jpg

( Image: NeoWin )

Wow. Stay tuned for this one. It might be a copyright battle as several commenters have accused it of being a clone of an earlier game. I'd bet that sudden publicity about $50,000 a day revenue woke up the patent trolls ( NOTE, I have no sympathy if he in fact did copy something and is profiting from it as his own ).

Apple removes Blockchain, the last remaining Bitcoin wallet app from its App Store ( TechSpot 2014-01-06 )

Apple removes popular Bitcoin app from iOS App Store ( NeoWin 2014-01-08 )

In what could be seen as another blow to the popularity of virtual currency Bitcoin, this week Apple removed Blockchain, the last remaining Bitcoin wallet app available from its App Store, citing an "unresolved issue." According to UK-based Blockchain, it received no prior warning of a problem.

The app, which is called Blockchain, had been downloaded close to 120,000 times in its two years on the app store. Despite no significant issues with the Bitcoin wallet in those two years, Apple still pulled it for "unresolved issues", according to a scathing response to Apple by the Blockchain developers. The developers noted their confusion with Apple's decision, stating:

Offering no explanation and no opportunity to address any issues, without any apparent change in circumstances other than the growing popularity of the independent and competitive payment system, Apple has eradicated their payment competition on iOS and left the bitcoin space entirely to competing mobile OSs like Googles Android. These actions by Apple once again demonstrate the anti-competitive and capricious nature of the App Store policies that are clearly focused on preserving Apples monopoly on payments rather than based on any consideration of the needs and desires of their users.

Hmmmm. Big Data corporations recently exposed as being in bed with government spooks and forced to do their bidding while prevented from commenting about it. No dots to connect here. Move along.

HP will now limit firmware updates to Enterprise customers under warranty ( NeoWin 2014-01-09 )

In a press release, Vice President Mary McCoy announced firmware updates through the HP support centre will only be available to customers with a valid warranty, Care Pack Service or support agreement. The move could see customers forking out hundreds or even thousands on Care Pack Services, which provide hardware and software support, as well as services, to receive the latest updates for their devices.

McCoy says while the move is a change from the past, it will place the company in line with the best practices in the industry.

We know this is a change from how weve done business in the past; however, this aligns with industry best practices and is the right decision for our customers and partners."

Best Practices? What a crazy euphemism that is. Nothing like peeing on your head and telling you its raining. And you gotta wonder what kind of robotic knucklehead would utter that tripe with a straight face? Best comment so far: "They really do like to shoot themselves in the foot...". :yes: That's HP for you. They are operated like their management is the Marx Brothers of the Three Stooges.

Comcast customer surprised to learn new router is also public hotspot ( Ars Technica 2014-01-05 )

Comcast customer Ronaldo Boschulte didn't know exactly what he was getting when the company swapped his malfunctioning modem for a new one. The cable modem doubles as a Wi-Fi routerthat much he was expecting. But he didn't realize the router would, by default, broadcast a public Wi-Fi network that anyone with a Comcast account could connect to.

I didn't know it had a hotspot," Boschulte told the St. Paul Pioneer Press in Minnesota.

Comcast started adding the public hotspot to its modems by default in mid-2013, as we reported at the time. Customers can turn the second signal off if they choose, but it's definitely an opt-out program rather than opt-in.

Got that? You are a hotspot. And it's Opt-Out. So just how easy will that be?

In an FAQ, Comcast doesn't provide instructions for turning it off manually. You have to call Comcast for that. "You will always have the ability to disable the XFINITY Wi-Fi feature on your Wireless Gateway by calling 1-800-XFINITY," the company says. Presumably, a customer service representative will try to talk you out of disabling it.

"We encourage all subscribers to keep this feature enabled as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of XFINITY Wi-Fi around the neighborhood," the company says.

The second network won't slow your primary connection down, at least not much. "The broadband connection to your home will be unaffected by the XFINITY Wi-Fi feature," Comcast says. "Your in-home Wi-Fi network, as well as XFINITY Wi-Fi, use shared spectrum, and as with any shared medium there can be some impact as more devices share Wi-Fi. We have provisioned the XFINITY Wi-Fi feature to support robust usage, and therefore, we anticipate minimal impact to the in-home Wi-Fi network.""

Amazingly there are more than a few sheep in the comments excusing this. They say: this doesn't impact the homeowner at all. It doesn't even use their electricity! Apparently their modem uses secretly patented free energy magic. The sheeple even say don't worry about child porn because Comcast knows it is a separate IP address and they would never make a mistake like that! Seriously, these comments need to be seen to believed. Even if those concerns were exaggerated ( they are NOT, just meet the cops over here ) this is a perfect example of a Camel nose under the tent, in the worse way.

But there are some sane people left at Ars Technica, this comment is spot-on IMHO ...

The best part of this is that Comcast is training its users to hand over their username and passwords to any wireless network named xfinitywifi. Want to collect a few? Just set up a laptop that runs a wireless access point named xfinitywifi, a captive portal that looks like the real one, then saves the passwords it collects.

There are live CDs that make this really trivial.

Exactly. :thumbup: Expect hackers to jump on this. It's crazy really. These things are all downside, there is no upside except maybe for the ISP itself. Wake up sheeple!

As first mentioned by Duffy98 ... :thumbup

Snowden Used Low-Cost Tool to Best N.S.A. ( New York Times 2014-01-08 )

It really is an good, in-depth article full of background on the Snowden saga. This is original primary reporting that will be the core of many stories to come.

Recall this one from yesterday: GCHQ disrupts Anonymous using Denial of Service attack ( NeoWin 2014-02-06 )

Snowden documents show British digital spies using viruses and 'honey traps' ( UK Register 2014-01-07 )

Snowden reveals how GCHQ used "dirty tricks" on their targets ( NeoWin 2014-01-08 )

A good followup at the Register that's well worth a read. Note that NeoWin follows it up as well but in typical USA media fashion, with typical sleepwalking commenters, many are still too busy to troubled by a little thing like being spied upon or the possibility of becoming an innocent bystander casualty in cyberwarfare.

Secret court ruling puts Obama's NSA crack-down in motion ( TechSpot 2014-01-07 )

A secret ruling made by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court has now approved the two measures, both of which are directly tied to how the NSA can access the massive database of metadata it has accumulated. The first should potentially see the NSA require court approval on the basis of reasonable suspicion that the investigation is in some way connected to a known terrorist organization before accessing the data. The other is based on the degrees of separation or "hops" in which an NSA investigation can run. Previously, the agency was legally allowed to gather information on individuals within 3 degrees of separation of a target, that number now drops to 2.

Well I feel much better now. :no: Reform my @ss. It's a shell game.

walnut.jpg

( Image Source )

Apple removes Blockchain, the last remaining Bitcoin wallet app from its App Store ( TechSpot 2014-01-06 )

Apple removes popular Bitcoin app from iOS App Store ( NeoWin 2014-01-08 )

[...]

The app, which is called Blockchain, had been downloaded close to 120,000 times in its two years on the app store. Despite no significant issues with the Bitcoin wallet in those two years, Apple still pulled it for "unresolved issues", according to a scathing response to Apple by the Blockchain developers. The developers noted their confusion with Apple's decision, stating:

Offering no explanation and no opportunity to address any issues, without any apparent change in circumstances other than the growing popularity of the independent and competitive payment system, Apple has eradicated their payment competition on iOS and left the bitcoin space entirely to competing mobile OSs like Googles Android. These actions by Apple once again demonstrate the anti-competitive and capricious nature of the App Store policies that are clearly focused on preserving Apples monopoly on payments rather than based on any consideration of the needs and desires of their users.

Another argument for the "benefits" of walled-garden app stores: you get to install anything THEY decide you're allowed to.

--JorgeA

Anybody here using Chrome might want to take notice of this --

Speech recognition hack turns Google Chrome into advanced bugging device

Users of Google's Chrome browser are vulnerable to attacks that allow malicious websites to use a computer microphone to surreptitiously eavesdrop on private conversations for extended periods of time, an expert in speech recognition said.

The attack requires an end user to click on a button giving the website permission to access the microphone. Most of the time, Chrome will respond by placing a blinking red light in the corresponding browser tab and putting a camera icon in the address bar—both indicating that the website is receiving a live audio feed from the visitor. The privacy risk, according to a blog post published Tuesday, stems from what happens once a user leaves the site. The red light and camera icon disappear even though the website has the ability to continue listening in.

The discoverer of this flaw (if that's what it is) notified Google about it almost five months ago and --surprise, surprise -- nothing's been done about it:

...the audio is sent to Google for analysis before being sent to the site that made the request. Once permission has been granted, Chrome can be programmed to begin recording only after certain keywords—say, "Iran" or "National Security Agency"—are uttered.

:whistle:

--JorgeA

And now more hopefully:

Internet architects propose encrypting all the world’s Web traffic

The HTTPbis Working Group, the IETF body charged with designing the next-generation HTTP 2.0 specification, is proposing that encryption be the default way data is transferred over the "open Internet." A growing number of groups participating in the standards-making process—particularly those who develop Web browsers—support the move, although as is typical in technical deliberations, there's debate about how best to implement the changes.

As the aticle goes on to explain, there are flaws in the proposed changes, but it would definitely be a step in the right direction.

--JorgeA

... "Listen and understand. Windows XP is out there. It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and it absolutely will not stop. Until you are dead." ...

lolabove.giflolabove.giflolabove.gif

winxp_startuplogo_terminator3_sample.jpg

... "Listen and understand. Windows XP is out there. It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and it absolutely will not stop. Until you are dead." ...

lolabove.giflolabove.giflolabove.gif

winxp_startuplogo_terminator3_sample.jpg

Love the graphic!! :thumbup

--JorgeA

Windows 8.1 Update 1 comment of the week:

The W8 saga is a cautionary tale about how difficult it is to get real-life consumer feedback in an age of narcissism and social media. While Windows 8 fanboys were perhaps the most vocal leading up to the launch, their impact on consumer feedback was nothing more than old fashioned ballot stuffing; they were loud and obnoxious, but they were a minority and consequently the "positive" feedback to the new OS was grossly overestimated.

Even so, I'm still not clear how Microsoft could think it was a good idea to throw their desktop customers under the bus. Better late than never I suppose.

Great first reply to that comment, then watch the W8 groupies and MSFT sycophants start snorting...

Honorable mention on page 2:

I remember reading about internal testing at MS that stated that Metro wouldn't fly with consumers, but Sinofsky ignored it, too much riding on Windows 8 and the ship has sailed at that point.

Not that I blame them, you shouldn't be design any piece of software based on telemetry data and focus group data, but they chose to ignore the numerous red flags along with common sense and it bit them in the behind hard.

--JorgeA