Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Razer CEO: 'I don't hate on Windows 8'; is 'super disappointed' with Dell and HP ( NeoWin 2013-06-01 )

He also takes the time to slam two of the biggest PC makers, Dell and HP, saying that he is "super disappointed" with how they have treated the industry. He says, "HP’s doing a horrible job with it. Dell’s doing a horrible job with it. They just don’t want to do anything with the PC anymore."

Yeah well that's to be expected from a competitor speaking of his competition I guess. But then I see this ...

I’ve heard a lot of hate on Windows 8 by gamers. I think it’s OK. I don’t hate on Windows 8. Once you get used to it, it’s fine. The only thing I missed was the start button and now they’re bringing it back. And, I don’t know if it’s in 8.1, but the ability to boot right straight to the desktop (Editor's note: Yes, that's in there too) — those are the two things I wanted. If they put the start button back and let me boot straight to the desktop, I’m OK. You know the rest of it is just OK, but it is better than 7.

Now that really ticks me off. This young man is CEO of a decent company but now sounds like a young girl posting mindless drivel at NeoWin. So exactly who missed the "Start Button" anyway? He thinks the worldwide anger is from a missing "button"? Now that's just friggin' insulting. :yes: And then he tops it off with "but it is better than 7". :blink: Well, if by "better" he means "uglier" and "stupider" then he has a point. With that kind of cavalier attitude towards simple logic and facts who could take him seriously ever again? Not me. Ah well, we all must play our role I guess. His is apparently to tamp down the criticism and avoid controversy to avoid alienating customers but he just failed, with me. So I'll put him on my personal list of companies to avoid and never recommend based solely on the fact that their CEO, Min-Liang Tan, is so astonishingly stuck on stupid. He had a chance to be a hero to all those gamers that buy Razer items but instead chose to imitate Forrest Gump.

Microsoft Confirms Start Button Returns in Windows 8.1 ( Tom's Hardware 2013-05-31 )

Forgot to mention this a few days back. All the sites have now posted a few articles about Microsoft officially confirming their FU to the countless customers who never asked for a Start "Screen" Button that links to Metro but in fact asked for the Start Menu. Tom's is another one of those non-Shill sites although the author is their version of a MicroZealot and that headline pretty much confirms it ( and you know it must burn him up to see all those opposing comments every day ). Since there was never ever a Start Screen Button in any version of Windows, it never left in the first place, in order to be "returned" now! The headline is a lie, and every article on every site that dutifully reports this Microsoft propaganda of a "return" of the Start Button is lying. When beta1 ( the DP ) was replaced by beta2 ( the CP ) the Start Button and Start Menu were gone and have yet to make a return ( unless we count 3rd party utilities that restore it ).

Windows 8 Start menu makers thoughts on the return of the Start button for 8.1 ( NeoWin 2013-06-02 )

Speaking of 3rd party utilities that restore the Start Button and Start Menu, here is a NeoWin article in which they ask the creators of these Start Menu restoration programs what they think about the so-called "return" of the Start Button. NeoWin must consider it a trick question I guess. Or not! Perhaps they believe it themselves.

EDIT: typo(s)

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

NuMicrosoft does hate the customers indeed. Spend some time reading then various posts by MS reps and you get the picture.

Microsofties are p***ed at the longevity of XP and the success of the iPad. The iPad because Microsoft had a tablet solution almost ten years before the iPad and it flopped. They can't wrap around the fact that it was because they just put XP on a tablet, while iOS is truly optimized for that format. They seem to interpret it instead in the vein that the customers are stupid and fall for Apple's hype.

Vista's rejection by the public and even Windows 7's failing to reduce XP's marketshare gets interpreted by them that customers just flat out hate anything Microsoft and are blinded by Apple's toys.

All this led to two things: Metro and the "devices and services" transformation. Customers are stupid and hateful, so they need to hate back by shoving metro in their face, whether they want it or not. And since customers stay on Microsoft software for decades, but are willing to "give Apple money every year", we need to clap down on the concept of licensing software and instead force them all on subscription for all eternity. Pay up or die.

The more liberties the customers lose that way, the better. Serves them right.

And you can forget it that Microsoft will take back metro. No way. Windows blue is actually a doubling-down on metro! If that will fail too, they will respond with EVEN MORE forced metro. Probably abandoning the classic control panel in the next Windows revision. It's a lot like the hardcore Linuxers around Stallman in the past: Linux is perfect, the only problem is the distros are not fossy enough (thus Debian and gNewSense were born). Android is successful because it's not ideological (unlike NuMicrosoft and the FSF) and "tainted" the system with closed stuff.

Metro is also far more suitable for the "services" part; you just can't shove outlook.com, skype and bing in desktop mode as obnoxiously as you can do it in the start screen.

NuMicrosoft in a nutshell: More hate, more metro, more restrictions.

The previous post to this one is from Formfiller dated 3rd June #3092.

Have a couple of pages gone missing?

I don't think anything is missing.

The board has been unavailable for at least a day, maybe two. Working pretty quickly at this moment, but maybe it's because no-one is here currently and traffic is light.

EDIT: I guess I can't count! I last posted hear on the 3rd, it is currently the 7th, and I recall trying to get in to the site each day to no avail. So I am guessing at least 3 down days total!

EDIT2: I may be wrong about the missing posts too. Not sure yet, but have suspicions.

EDIT3: Verified at least one post missing above after the one from Formfiller. I remember because of the image I used with The Three Stooges. Also, I had use the terms "Benjamin Franklin" and "Lightning Rod". If someone has a large local cache in their favorite browser a copy of the missing comments might still exist.

Can anyone locate anything in their local cache to be used as keywords in a Google search to see if their cache caught the thread before the database rolled back? Nothing working so far for me.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Canalys: Windows Phone to grow 400% in the next 4 years ( NeoWin 2013-06-04 )

2017 forecast: Windows Phone at 12.7%, 1bn Android phones a year ( NeoWin 2013-06-06 )

Now that's what I call optimistic. Let's have a look at the real numbers ...

ComScore: Microsoft's US smartphone market share dipped in April 2013 ( NeoWin 2013-06-05 )

If you believe the numbers from research firm ComScore, Microsoft's smartphone market share in the US has stayed more or less the same in the past few months. After showing a gain of just 0.2 percent in February, and a gain of 0.1 percent in March, ComScore's numbers for the three months that ended in April 2013 showed it had a share of 3 percent, down 0.1 percent [ in April].

[...]

The new numbers, released on Tuesday, showed that Google is still on top with 52 percent but saw its percentage drop by 0.3 percent for the three month period. Apple is second with 39.2 percent but surged up 1.4 percent for the same period. BlackBerry can't seem to stop the bleeding. It's smartphone market share is at 5.1 percent, down 0.8 percent for the three month period.

RwpU9yV.jpg

Actually Blackberry might have "stopped the bleeding" now with less than a percentage point lost on this latest chart ( see this post for all the previous ComScore charts I could find. )

This chart, like the previous ones dispute some of the articles at fanboy sites stating that Windows Phone has somehow surpassed Blackberry in usage. I would expect BB to stabilize now and those last 2 percentage points that they have over WP will be very hard to overcome.

Windows ReTard Edition is still floundering ...

Microsoft is cutting the price on Windows RT for smaller tablets ( NeoWin 2013-06-03 )

Microsoft May Cut Prices on Software for Windows Tablets ( Tom's Hardware 2013-06-03 )

Bloomberg cites people familiar with the matter who say Microsoft may cut the price of Windows RT. These sources say the price cuts would affect Windows RT for small-sized tablets, which means tablets running the full version of Windows 8 likely won't see any changes in pricing.

~sigh~ charging any price above zero for Windows ReTard Edition no sense when competing against Android. They will never learn.

But even that didn't last long. Just a couple of days later ...

Microsoft cuts Windows licensing costs for OEMs ( NeoWin 2013-06-06 )

Nick Parker, head of Microsoft's OEM division, confirmed at Computex that Microsoft has cut the licensing fees for both Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets, but only for those with small screens.

And presumably here's their logic ...

The idea is that by cutting the cost of Windows in 7- to 9-inch tablets, these devices can sell for less and potentially draw in more sales.

Got that? They want more sales of small devices. ... So ... we can assume they don't want more sales of larger devices? :lol:

Now, speaking of small devices ...

Microsoft: Smaller Windows 8/8.1 tablets can have buttons on the side ( NeoWin 2013-06-05 )

In a new interview at PCWorld.com, Nick Parker, the head of Microsoft's OEM division, said they have allowed PC makers some leg room in terms of making smaller Windows 8 and 8.1 tablets. He stated:

• For any device you can hold in one hand, one of the things you need is portrait mode—so, the ability for the apps to work in the same way, to move and to flow nicely. And for our OEMs, we’re giving them the ability to have buttons on the side of the device, because when you’re holding it in one hand you might want to push a button on the side. You have to make the OS extensible. So those are the types of things.

Besides being thoroughly condescending and proving that Microsoft's and their sycophants blaming OEMs for all so-called bad designs is yet another lie, this also illustrates the extraordinary scam Microsoft has been engaging in during the entire PC era. Apple sells 1st party hardware with an included 1st party Operating System to make it work out of the box. They also are responsible for defects in both hardware and the operating system. No news there, it is what anyone would expect.

Microsoft, with rare exception ( e.g., Surface ) sells NO hardware and is the 3rd party supplier of an Operating System to 1st party equipment manufacturers. By threading this needle they have established not only a monopoly, but the particularly envious position of NO responsibility for hardware problems ( obviously they are blamed on the OEM ), but also the astonishing situation where due to licensing terms the OEM versions of Windows means that Microsoft has NO responsibility for its own operating system as well. Irate phone calls once again go to the OEMs. Not only that, the OEMs ( and by extension, the customer ) get charged a price for this luxury! What an incredible scam. :yes:

NuMicrosoft does hate the customers indeed. Spend some time reading then various posts by MS reps and you get the picture.

Microsofties are p***ed at the longevity of XP and the success of the iPad. The iPad because Microsoft had a tablet solution almost ten years before the iPad and it flopped. They can't wrap around the fact that it was because they just put XP on a tablet, while iOS is truly optimized for that format. They seem to interpret it instead in the vein that the customers are stupid and fall for Apple's hype.

Vista's rejection by the public and even Windows 7's failing to reduce XP's marketshare gets interpreted by them that customers just flat out hate anything Microsoft and are blinded by Apple's toys.

All this led to two things: Metro and the "devices and services" transformation. Customers are stupid and hateful, so they need to hate back by shoving metro in their face, whether they want it or not. And since customers stay on Microsoft software for decades, but are willing to "give Apple money every year", we need to clap down on the concept of licensing software and instead force them all on subscription for all eternity. Pay up or die.

The more liberties the customers lose that way, the better. Serves them right.

And you can forget it that Microsoft will take back metro. No way. Windows blue is actually a doubling-down on metro! If that will fail too, they will respond with EVEN MORE forced metro. Probably abandoning the classic control panel in the next Windows revision. It's a lot like the hardcore Linuxers around Stallman in the past: Linux is perfect, the only problem is the distros are not fossy enough (thus Debian and gNewSense were born). Android is successful because it's not ideological (unlike NuMicrosoft and the FSF) and "tainted" the system with closed stuff.

Metro is also far more suitable for the "services" part; you just can't shove outlook.com, skype and bing in desktop mode as obnoxiously as you can do it in the start screen.

NuMicrosoft in a nutshell: More hate, more metro, more restrictions.

I wish that I had any evidence to contradict or disprove what you said, Formfiller. :}

--JorgeA

Microsoft Confirms Start Button Returns in Windows 8.1 ( Tom's Hardware 2013-05-31 )

Forgot to mention this a few days back. All the sites have now posted a few articles about Microsoft officially confirming their FU to the countless customers who never asked for a Start "Screen" Button that links to Metro but in fact asked for the Start Menu. Tom's is another one of those non-Shill sites although the author is their version of a MicroZealot and that headline pretty much confirms it ( and you know it must burn him up to see all those opposing comments every day ). Since there was never ever a Start Screen Button in any version of Windows, it never left in the first place, in order to be "returned" now! The headline is a lie, and every article on every site that dutifully reports this Microsoft propaganda of a "return" of the Start Button is lying. When beta1 ( the DP ) was replaced by beta2 ( the CP ) the Start Button and Start Menu were gone and have yet to make a return ( unless we count 3rd party utilities that restore it ).

Just a small quibble with this. (I had replied to this at the time. My original reply is one of the missing posts.) I just booted up my Developer Preview to verify: the Start Menu was already gone in the DP, but it does have a Start Button that takes you to the Start Screen. So in effect, what Microsoft has done with Windows 8.1 is to return to the way they had things in the DP -- it works in exactly the same way as the revived Start Button in 8.1.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Can anyone locate anything in their local cache to be used as keywords in a Google search to see if their cache caught the thread before the database rolled back? Nothing working so far for me.

The only luck I had was with posts that I happened to reply to, when I was able to go into the browser history and retrieve the quoted post in the reply box (see a couple of examples just above) but of course my comments weren't included.

--JorgeA

The only luck I had was with posts that I happened to reply to, when I was able to go into the browser history and retrieve the quoted post in the reply box (see a couple of examples just above) but of course my comments weren't included.

I checked a bunch of online search engines feeding guaranteed keywords ( "Benjamin Franklin" "Lightning Rod" "elD7qes.jpg" ) from a definite missing post in this thread, confined to site:msfn.org but no luck. Spiders were not crawling this thread before the database rolled back.

Unless someone else has cached local copies of this page I fear they are lost to the four winds.

Something else ... The physical number of that known missing post is 1041709 and it was sometime after comment #3097 which has the physical number 1041626. But then we have the gap and then comment #3093 by SIW2 which is physical number 1041653. So there is something very wrong here as that earlier missing comment has a higher physical number than a later comment. :blink:

Is Microsoft playing with fire by bundling Office with Windows 8.1 tablets? ( NeoWin 2013-06-05 )

A NeoWin author almost accidentally swerves into a good point here, almost. He is actually mostly wrong about this because most Windows ReTard devices are actually Microsoft Surface tablets since most other OEMs have now given up on the platform. That leaves Windows ReTard Edition and the pre-installation of Outlook or Office as a non-issue because they are Microsoft hardware, just like a MacBook is an Apple device. No software has any expectation of being installed onto such hardware, no more than on a Samsung refrigerator or LG Television. It is a walled-garden gated-community by definition. This is a difficult concept for NeoWin fanboys to understand, but it is fundamental. Microsoft is normally the 3rd party operating system on other people's hardware, not their own. Now if they try this with Windows 8 non-ReTard Edition on non-Microsoft devices they will have a problem.

Microsoft Gives a First Look at Windows 8.1 ( Maximum PC 2013-06-06 )

Microsoft Shows Off Windows 8.1 in Video, Talks Outlook RT ( Tom's Hardware 2013-06-06 )

Jensen Harris, a primary Windows Destroyer team member shows up in one video trying to push the latest propaganda about "listening to customers" and other nonsense. Recall that he is the one that Sinofsky hid behind when they removed Aero Glass and went all flat prior to the RTM. His presentation is as awful as usual and reinforces the case that Microsoft is beyond tone-deaf, they are sadistically masochistic and intent on stepping on every landmine in their path. I only mention these two articles because they are at non-Fanboy sites and will get much different commentary there than at the usual suspects, like NeoWin and The Verge.

Microsoft: All apps must be re-installed for preview-to-RTM Windows 8.1 upgrade ( NeoWin 2013-06-05 )

Microsoft Talks About How Windows 8.1 Preview Will Work ( Tom's Hardware 2013-06-07 )

However, Microsoft says that people who download and use the preview version of Windows 8.1 will have to reinstall all of their Windows 8 and desktop apps when they install the final RTM x86 version of Windows 8.1; Windows RT users will also have to reinstall all their Modern-Windows Store apps for their own Windows 8.1 upgrade.

More bad news for MetroTards. If you are such a die-hard fanboy that you want the preview of this service pack it is going to cost you some of your spare time in reinstalling applications. You know things are bad when even the NeoWhiners recognize the danger here ...

Oh man this is going to be a notification for normal users to install? This is going to be a disaster. They either should have an upgrade path from preview to RTM or they should make it something you have to manually install. A normal user is going to glaze right over the warning that they will need to reinstall everything when RTM is out and they're going to be ****ed.

i fully agree. this is gonna be a disaster. the average user has no clue at all about the difference of a preview final version. sounds trivial to us enthusiasts, but i know enough people who will hesitate, read the description and have still no clue afterwards.
if they install and at some point later have to re-install desktop apps, for which they usually dont even know where the install medium is, they gonna be quite upset.
that preview version should only be visible by triggering something. should be invisible to anyone not really looking for it.

Naturally you have some of those die-hard MicroZealots and MetroTards that disagree! You know the type. Microsoft can do no wrong! See here ...

Well now whose fault is that now? It will teach them to READ.

~sigh~ Lord save us from the narcissistic children of the world.