Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Xbox One rumor round-up: what was correct? ( NeoWin 2013-05-25 )

I have my own graphic about exactly this subject but I am waiting for more official word on some of the issues. In case he hadn't noticed ( and as Jaclaz accurately described above ) Microsoft said very little to nothing at all. All the hype for a nothing press conference, as usual. They were like politicians taking the Fifth Amendment, as usual. Pretty much every rumor of consequence will have proven true at the end of this saga, not the meaningless ones like what the name of the Xbox will be. Here is a clue for NeoWhiners: anything that benefits Microsoft at the expense of the customer will actually occur. Full stop. Period. The only things they actually care about are themselves and their revenue cash streams. The customer does not even merit an after-thought.

EDITORIAL: What has me excited, disappointed and curious about Xbox One ( NeoWin 2013-05-25 )

Article is somewhat interesting but one comment caught my eye ...

Kinect will be used as Nielsen-like device along with the TV viewing so the XBOX can better track what people are watching, how intense they are watching and how emotionally engaged they are. This sill support TV, Movies and advertisements. Nielsen-ratings do not track well across all forms of media and Microsoft is looking to dominate this area (and access millions of more data-sets than Nielsen can) while elevating engagement based on biometric feedback.

Which frankly had never occurred to me and does makes some sense. Nielsen is a legendary but secretive data collection service and is rumored to make tons of money. It would make sense for a company to look at this model and expand into it. However it leads to even more serious conflict-of-interest issues because the ratings product they deliver directly affects prices of products (through advertising rates and budgets), not to mention the potential success of said products. Were Microsoft to enter this arena they would immediately be suspected again of anti-competitive practices ( with good reason ) so it would be a bad idea logically, therefore considering Microsoft's recent track record of crazy ill-advised illogical decision-making it would seem to suggest they WILL try to enter this arena.

I'm not sure of the validity of that comment though, the part about "access millions of more data-sets than Nielsen can". Their potential sample size would never be adequate for anything except a narrow set of products and advertising. I'm too busy to look it up ( or if Nielson even publishes their sample size ) but there is not a chance that XboxAnything will ever be anything more than a skewed demographic weighted heavily towards moderate gamers. The hardcore gamers with unlimited spending budgets (the advertising target demographic of disposable income) will never touch this Xbox and instead be using real computers. The lightweight gamers will stick to their phones and tablets. You can also make the case that smart gamers will stay away from an Xbox with a mandatory built-in spying device that can literally identify you and what you are doing.

Speaking of spying and big brother .... There is some astonishing cognitive dissonance employed by fanboys over this subject. The MicroZealots and MetroTards are infamous for attacking Google at every turn, supporting Microsoft's Scroogle attack campaign, while decrying targeted ads in the Google search results. Fine, that's their opinion and it is valid. But how the he!! do you go from there to accepting the capabilities of Kinect paired with the potential of Microsoft Patent #20120278904! What manner of cranial neurological disorder leads to such a disconnect?

Can you imagine a couple fooling around on the couch and suddenly the Microsoft Hal 9000 launches a Trojan commercial or a PSA about venereal disease? :blink: That would be a truly targeted demographic! And corporations will pay big bucks to get their ads in at such an opportune moment. :yes:

Apple's iOS 7 to be "black, white and flat all over" ( TechSpot 2013-05-24 )

More details emerge about Apple's "flat" UI plans for iOS 7 ( NeoWin 2013-05-24 )

It seems Apple has the equivalent of Steven Sinofsky working there, he even resembles the Windows Destroyer-in-Chief, his name is Jony Ive ...

EiP1pl0.jpg

... uncanny, right? :yes: Anyway, it is very hard to believe that Apple is dumb enough to directly copy Microsoft's retard style especially considering that is is almost universally despised. I don't know much about the internals of Apple except for other people's comments and it seems this hipster Jony Ive was a buddy of Steve Jobs and now that he died has a sort of free reign to screw things up. Not a great plan IMHO. I'll tell you what. Apple fans are loyal and the last thing you want to do is break that customer loyalty ( that would really be copying Microsoft :yes: ). But the iPhone is nothing if not consistent. Change that interface ( and even worse the Mac OSX ) and you are gonna have a real problem because the people using iPhones are not computer experts and expect things to be simple. Mark my words, a big change in the iPhone GUI will start a backlash the likes of which Apple is NOT equipped to understand. Now this is definitely still a rumor, and suspiciously like a rumor Microsoft might float to ease their own suffering, so we'll wait and see.

I neglected to mention the source article for those stories is here ...

Jony Ive’s new look for iOS 7: black, white, and flat all over ( 9to5mac 2013-05-24 )

... which is a marvelous parallel to the long-running conflict in the Windows universe since several over-paid under-achievers named Steven Sinofsky, Jensen Harris, Sam Moreau and Julie Larson Green took it upon themselves to move the GUI forward to 1980's level visuals.

For example, take a gander at some MacTards taking shots at the commenters that do not want a repeat of the Windows 8 puke-worthy disaster to befall their beloved iOS ...

I don't get it. Are you a troll or what? You haven't even seen it.

I'm gonna paint a person, but paint their face green and pink, use some very straight lines, and some very curvy ones. It's hardly going to look like a person. I'm going to express how I see someone, rather than how they actually look. Does that sound absolutely awful to you, too? Because I just described Picasso's work.

Holy crap! The same smug arrogance that Windows MetroTards routinely display even utilizing their patented strawman arguments with crazy analogies! Another ...

Amazing how stupid some of you people are! It's not monochrome! Re-read the article! Johnny Ives is the #2 reason for Apple's success behind Steve Jobs. How about we cut him some slack and wait to see what it looks like before throwing him under the bus? Stop being knee-jerk A-holes!

Typical! When you run out of facts to argue ( taste is subjective, not right or wrong, you can't prove someone wrong for enjoying nice graphics over flat garbage ) use logic fallacies like "ad hominem" or "appeal to authority". "Johnny Ives is the #2 reason for Apple's success behind Steve Jobs", well I don't know enough about Apple to judge that statement but it sure sounds like a pant load of poop to me. Hey iOS users, the 'Tard just called you stupid. You gonna take that? Continuing on, another ...

Regardless what it turns out to be some people will reject it before giving it a good look. Change is painful for some.

Oh no you didn't! :lol: Now the arguments are direct clones of our MetroTards! "Change is painful!". If you MacTards and our MetroTards are so longing for change, why don't you change to Android? :whistle: Ironically, a radical change in iOS will do just that. :yes: It will be the ultimate gift to Google, Samsung and the Android platform. Yet another ...

Bring on the cry babies... I can see from some of the early comments that people are already passing judgement and they haven't seen jack sh*t yet. I say change is good, the current IOs is dated, stale, etc. I am looking forward to the changes ahead.

LOL :lol: Another Dot Matrix clone! Can we call you Dot MacTrix? Hey Mac dudes, the 'Tards are telling you to shut up and wait for the release, then you may complain about it when it is too late! We've been through this over here in WindowsLand and we now know not to question authority. NOT.

I wonder if Jony Ive has himself a "Destroying iOS" blog like Sinofsky had where he chooses to answer a few softball questions while disregarding the overwhelming majority that ridicule the project.

Overall the blog comments run approximately 60-40 or 70-30 against the Sinofsky-like redesign, I only picked the first four "ChangeTard" comments. Here's some against the changes, some of many ...

Is he insane ?

Monochrome ? Really ?

Black white and flat ?? What ? Does he want to turn Apple devices into ancient Palm monochrome ones ?

Fire Tim Cook NOW!

Jony Ive is going to ruin iOS and make customers angry like never before with this nonsense!

I hear ya brother. We often have used the word "insane" to describe Sinofsky and his team of MetroTards.

It's great that iOS allows so much customization in it's design. Too bad its one person\group making that design choice for everyone else.

Ditto that. And we Windows users have always had the most customization capabilities of all GUIs yet still the Microsoft brain(less)trust forced changes upon Windows users with NO options to change it whatsoever. Welcome to the party pal!

He is designing a user interface for human robots. For the idiots that get "confused" by one application having a different look and feel than another.

What a tragedy. Everything I read about losing the shine, gloss, and drop shadows is horrifying to say the least.

I can see it now: Apple will give developers three months to update their apps to the "flat" look, or be rejected from the store.

You're exactly right ( except for the Store part I think ). It is horrifying. The defining characteristic of iOS is exactly the gloss and shine and elegant appearance at least for the home screen. And what's the point of high density retina displays if they're just gonna show low-end amateur graphics? Ask your 'Tards that question.

These changes sound terrible to me. People who love flat UI can already buy the Windows phone. I love the shredding animation in Passbook app. I love the shiny buttons. Jony Ive is going to destroy Steve Jobs' baby. I hope Samsung hires Forstall and brings back the skeuomorphism and animations -- into the Galaxy 5.

Sorry, your opinion does not count because the MacMetroTards said so. Jony Ive is a legend you know! He is responsible for the success of Apple! Trust him. Stop resisting change you Luddite. :lol:

Anyway, we're gonna need some catchy names for these Mac MetroTards (MacroTard?). Anyone?

EDIT: typo

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Apologies if someone posted this already. Here's another thread lambasting the Xbone MicroFail. I stumbled on it from links seen in Tech Broil :: XboxDone.

Xbox One Used Game Fee Has Gamers Raging While Angry Joe Fights Back ( Gaming Blend 2013-05-22 )

I just have to highlight another most excellent use of a movie segment as a critical meme ... iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif ... right-click open in new tab. It is a different kind using GIF animation instead of a large video format ( it is 10 MB and while I'm sure it will embed I just didn't want to have it slow down the page for people like me that have 150 posts shown at a time ). And it is well done. I noticed this segment from Se7en used in the past, but the author has updated it with fresh XboxOne information. Well done indeed! And effective.

That thread contains a lot of comments, and as usual hardcore gamers are not pleased. What I find most interesting is that it is like a flashback to this thread a year ago and other places well before that. They are now discovering, and finally believing what we unfortunately also discovered, and that is that Microsoft has turned a corner with no way back. You can detect the same anger and frustration that we all experienced earlier. They have finally become aware of the gravity of this paradigm shift. Microsoft has effectively targeted and offended their entire customer base now. Windows, Phone, Programmers, Office users ( most seem still asleep ), and Gamers. Steve Jobs in his most wild fantasy could not have asked for more from his eternal rival. Remember the great movie: Murder By Death? Microsoft has made the sequel and it's called: Suicide By Death.

I could post dozens of these articles, and so could Formfiller who I know is also in some of these forums and has spotted quite a few himself. I think he'll agree that the Xbox One reception is mirroring the unprecedented Windows 8 fiasco. I can't say for a fact that this kind of thing has never happened before, but I believe I have never seen anything like it where a company has burned all its bridges in such a systematic fashion. Maybe the "New Coke" analogy is truer than we think, perhaps even far surpassing it. :yes: I still have no doubt that Microsoft is incapable of backtracking. It's arrogance precludes such a concession. But I really hope they do in fact backtrack, because there are a lot of fanboy MicroZealots and MetroTards that are in dire need of having their bubble burst. And it would be spectacular to watch them detonate!

The defining characteristic of iOS is exactly the gloss and shine and elegant appearance at least for the home screen. And what's the point of high density retina displays if they're just gonna show low-end amateur graphics?

Ya know, over a decade ago I worked for a design agency, we had a huge list of clients who'd hire us for design work...NOT ONCE did the client direct us to create something flat and boring. Even when their brand was flat and boring they wanted something "cool and different." I remember one particular client whose style guide strictly prohibited all the "cool stuff" (absolutely no 3D, no effects, no gradients), and their employees would get mad at us for adhering to their own style guide, it was a constant struggle to explain to them that their corp affairs dept will reject their piece if it doesn't conform to their rules...

Speaking of flat and boring, I was recently forced to upgrade to the "new and improved" Yahoo mail, looks like it was made for Win8...if I had put out this kind of work ten years ago my career would've been over...

yahoo.jpg

I could post dozens of these articles, and so could Formfiller who I know is also in some of these forums and has spotted quite a few himself. I think he'll agree that the Xbox One reception is mirroring the unprecedented Windows 8 fiasco. I can't say for a fact that this kind of thing has never happened before, but I believe I have never seen anything like it where a company has burned all its bridges in such a systematic fashion. Maybe the "New Coke" analogy is truer than we think, perhaps even far surpassing it. :yes: I still have no doubt that Microsoft is incapable of backtracking. It's arrogance precludes such a concession. But I really hope they do in fact backtrack, because there are a lot of fanboy MicroZealots and MetroTards that are in dire need of having their bubble burst. And it would be spectacular to watch them detonate!

Yes, I do agree. The Xbox could cost them more than Windows 8. Much software is still tied to Windows, so customers often have no choice but to take Windows, - even a version as horrible as 8, and make it work with Start8 somehow. Not so with the Xbox: Nothing is tied to it (the Xbox One is incompatible with previous games anyway), and there is a viable competitor around the corner, the PS4.

Microsoft risks here losing the market in a big way, even more so than with Windows 8. Many staunch metrotards were also recruited from the Xbox generation - p***ing them off is a serious blow for Microsoft's marketing efforts.

Oh and this is worse than New Coke. Coca Cola reversed that decision within three months, while there's no end in sight for Microsoft's amok run.

Edited by Formfiller

Speaking of flat and boring, I was recently forced to upgrade to the "new and improved" Yahoo mail, looks like it was made for Win8...

yahoo.jpg

I agree, the new yahoo mail are visualy sucks, other available themes are just equally sucks.

I find myself prefer the old one too.

But if you remember the old yahoo-mail url (check your browser history) ,

you still able to access the yahoo mail classic.

as per today, yahoo hasn't delete the old assets (.js ; .css), yet.

My only complaint about the new Yahoo is how AJAX (or somesuch) dependent it is. Meaning it can just hang around doing nothing even though you've clicked a bunch of stuff. Their fantasy sports are worse now, where entire objects can end up disappearing when you hover over them.

Lenovo plans to start selling smartphones in the US within a year (TechSpot 2013-05-27 )

Not very detailed information yet, but you have got to wonder how the favorite OEM of MicroZealots and MetroTards will feel about this if they sell Android or another flavor of Linux phones. :lol: I suppose it is possible they might use Wp8, but if not Lenovo will become the next obstacle of many many obstacles to Windows Phone marketshare which is already teetering on the brink of oblivion.

Lenovo Reach revealed; will remember all of your passwords (NeoWin 2013-05-27 )

Basically, it's a cloud service that does more that allow its users to store data on a server, although it does that as well with 5 GB of free space. It also offers a way to store all of the passwords that a user has to keep up with. The end result is that a person only needs to remember one login and password to access all of their websites and services.

Oh what can possibly go wrong with this idea! :blink: Well let's see, rewrite that sentence: "The end result is that a hacker only needs to crack one login and password to access all of their websites and services.". Setting aside the utter insanity that your security passwords should be entrusted to Chinese slave labor in the first place, all you need to do is hack one single target to get the whole enchilada. The inevitable headline will read: 'Lenovo Reach hacked by Anonymous two months ago'. This is positively Darwinian now. That means that people actually deserve the consequences and we will need to experience all the obvious pitfalls and hand out all the Darwin awards, in short, go through the motions even though we know the inevitable outcome, because the Human Race is doomed.

Xbox One reportedly will be region-locked (NeoWin 2013-05-27 )

The NeoWhiners are lining up to tamp-down this story: "Hey, it's just like the Xbox 360" or "You had your chance to complain before". Translation: 'Stop complainin', we already accepted this'. Proving that there is a subset of the population that are slow-cooking frogs and that you only need to slip the precedents past them in baby steps and they will accept anything at all. Read the next article to see how we end up if we allow slow-cooking frogs to decide our fate ...

Anti-piracy group wants to legally deploy rootkits against pirates (TechSpot 2013-05-27 )

The group says that copyright holders should be allowed to take more assertive action against intellectual property thieves. And though they start off with seemingly reasonable requests like allowing a file to be rendered inaccessible if the user gained access to it illegally, it quickly scales to something resembling ramsomware.

The scheme calls for software to be pre-installed on users’ computers to identify whether they are illegally copying, storing or consuming copyrighted content. From there a number of scenarios are proposed, such as locking down your computer up and taking all your files hostage until you contact law enforcement to face the consequences. This is supposed to “stabilize a cyber incident” and provide time to gather evidence against you.

So the BSA and the Hollywood Mafia were emboldened by previous precedents ( judges going after MP3 downloader parents, Microsoft inserting DRM into Vista, etc ... ). Now what could possibly go wrong here? Kinect anyone? Please review Microsoft Patent #20120278904. The precedents established today will bite you in your assets tomorrow. Calling George Orwell.

Microsoft: Xbox One part of its future 'Home 2.0' plans (NeoWin 2013-05-27 )

Basically, the Xbox One could help control a number of a home systems, from lighting to appliances to security. In fact, Microsoft acquired id8 Group R2 Studios, which created an Android home automation app, earlier this year as part of those plans. Whitten says, "You need those [devices] in a central hub as an experience to bring all these things together."

Someone remind me why it was that we disabled that Universal PnP service again? It proves that anything will be forgotten given enough time, no precedent is too big a bite, you just need to keep coming back at the victims again and again and wear them down. I've railed against networking home security before because it gift wraps your entire strategy with a nice bow on it in a single target location for intruders. They will penetrate and get through and have access to baby monitors, surveillance cameras, security tapes, password stores and everything else all from a single point. It is stories like these that have convinced me that Microsoft is incapable of ever doing the right thing. Given a choice between hawking some service to retards or sticking to responsible practices perhaps with less customers but doing the right thing, they will invariably do the former.

But this is old rews really. Now connect the darn dots and imagine networked home security with a working Kinect! Please review Microsoft Patent #20120278904. It is positively inevitable that Kinect will be compromised and become the tool of intruders. By intruders I mean hackers and home invading criminals casing the joint for a physical robbery. Microsoft already is an invader and intruder, albeit non-physical, but criminal nonetheless.

New Port on Xbox One Controller Makes it Incompatible with Current Gaming Headsets ( Tom's Hardware 2013-05-28 )

According to IGN, current-gen gaming headsets may be useless for the Xbox One. Voice chat through headsets is dependent on connection through the controller, and since the port will be different on Xbox One controllers, gaming headset microphones will be useless. While there is the possibility of Microsoft manufacturing some sort of adapter, IGN was told that the new port on Xbox One controllers is to gain more control over the peripheral market.

"Manufacturers will not only need to develop entirely new products for the new connection standard," wrote IGN's Scott Lowe, "but use licensing and authentication protocols from Microsoft, potentially driving up costs for consumers. The licensing program could also limit the variety and competitive nature of the accessory market since all manufacturers would be required to adhere to Microsoft's terms."

When asked for comment, a Microsoft spokesperson only offered up vague details. "We are working with 3rd party headset manufacturers to create new headsets that will take full advantage of the Xbox One technology.

"We will share more details in the future."

And the hits keep on coming, while Microsoft continues to copy Apple at every turn! Can we officially call them MicroApple now? :yes: Every one of these radical anti-consumer actions have been criticized for years when done by Apple. A majority of the slow-cooking-frogs have done exactly that yet turn on a dime to lend moral support for their slave-master. And notice that Microsoft again cannot give clear answers. That final quote: "We will share more details in the future." should be Microsoft's new motto!

Microsoft: Xbox One's Kinect to have privacy options ( NeoWin 2013-05-28 )

The spokesperson added:

We know our customers want and expect strong privacy protections to be built into our products, devices and services, and for companies to be responsible stewards of their data. Microsoft has more than ten years of experience making privacy a top priority. Kinect for Xbox 360 was designed and built with strong privacy protections in place and the new Kinect will continue this commitment. We’ll share more details later.

Another panic response but lacking details as usual. And with their new company motto as well: We’ll share more details later :lol: The main reason they are addressing this is the potential Kinect tie-in with Microsoft Patent #20120278904 and the fact that spying and wiretapping and similar devices are definite no-no's under many laws. There are actually many ways this thing can go south, and I like to point out that it is built-in home casing equipment useful if the bad guys ever figure out how to access it from outside. But it can also be problematic from the inside too. For example, you could certainly buy and use one, but a gray area is if you have people over your house and do not tell them they are being recorded, filmed or observed. The NeoWhiners are going through major logical contortions to rationalize this one. But it will all end when some parent finds their kids naked photo on the internet or if one half of a separated couple figures out a way to use it to spy on the other half.

Microsoft analyst says Microsoft should sell off Xbox and Bing ( NeoWin 2013-05-28 )

This article is like tossing a bag of turds into the NeoWin childrens' sandbox. They are not happy about it. How dare anyone suggest Microsoft sell off Xbox or BING! Good fun. :lol:

IDC Cuts PC Forecast, Says Users are Content to Use Older Systems ( Maximum PC 2013-05-28 )

IDC cuts its 2013 PC shipment forecast; sees decline of 7.8 percent ( NeoWin 2013-05-28 )

And it continues. If you screw up a product platform enough people will buy less, hold on to their older systems, and skip having to deal with your Metrofied walled garden fiasco. There is some karma backfiring here also, because when people cling to their old, working, predictable, non-Walled personal systems, it causes future problems for Microsoft in the "support" sector. They wanted to kill it to get people into the Metro ATM cash machines that will theoretically produce side streams of income and they won't mind "supporting" them, but instead will have to "support" non-cash-producing systems outside of their control. So I'm all for it. Save old computers, parts and software. And you know it ticks them off. Do not go quietly into the night.

Microsoft: Many people feel social networking access helps at work ( NeoWin 2013-05-28 )

Complete with a giant infographic. So we have Microsoft defying common sense again, this time pretty much defying logic also. I would bet that even the "social" developers like Facebook and Twitter have strict guidelines about burning up the work hours screwing around on their personal pages. I bet even Microsoft does this. So what could be the purpose? Well they have an ulterior motive of course since they purchased Yammer. At the end of the infographic it says: To learn more about Microsoft's many social tools for the workplace, visit ... Talk about self-serving research!

Chromium-based Opera browser now available on Windows, Mac ( TechSpot 2013-05-28 )

Opera launches first Chromium-based beta version of web browser ( NeoWin 2013-05-28 )

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad: Utterly horrifying, so far. This "beta" called 15.0 rips out all the functionality and character of Opera, including customization. They even damaged the GUI itself. Many commenters are pointing out that for all practical purposes this thing is like a Opera skinned version of Chrome. So what's the point? Why not close up shop and make a skin for Chrome and call it a day! It seems all the life, spirit and soul has been sucked out of each and every company these days, with the soulless Microsoft of course leading the charge. I haven't yet ventured over to Opera.com to see the reaction, but it is going to be bloody. Maybe someone will get them to release the classic Opera as open source while they dabble in their ridiculous Chrome(less) fantasies.

Breaking News: Microsoft confirms plans to deliver the biggest FU in the history of FU's ever delivered!

Here's how the new Windows Blue Start Button may work ( Mary Jo Foley ZDNet 2013-05-29 )

Coming in Blue: Boot to Desktop, Start Button, and More! ( Paul Thurrott 2013-05-29 )

Well, I thought the dramatic headline should match the breathless blog posts from these authors. Mary Jo Foley has herself a "scoop" describing the morbid details of voluntary Microsoft suicide. Their decision is to kick their customers right in the balls with a slight modification to Windows 8 where they place an icon, no a "charm" where users expect a Start Button, and this thing will launch Metro. Yes, Metro! Paul Thurrott follows up basically rehashing her story, acting as the rear guard for his MicroMasters. Neither one could bring themselves to criticize the arrogant cynicism of such a move, perhaps the boldest and most brazen fraud ever perpetrated by a company on its captive audience.

But what about logic? Does it even exist? How could two years of pointed criticism delivered in painstaking detail at this Metro abortion possibly go unheard? Has it actually gone unheard? Has it actually gone ignored? NO! :no:

I submit that what has happened is not a mistake, and not an accident. What we finally have is confirmation that Microsoft's plan was the destruction of the desktop of which the first attack had to be on the 17 year old Start Menu. No other answer can suffice after this long a period with this amount of criticism. This was their chance to simply change course and admit to a blunder of epic proportions. The lack of this now proves that the plan all along was to dismantle the desktop, leaving the substitute walled-garden, and now it is exposed.

Naturally Thurrott is miles away from the truth in his little follow-up article as is his MicroZombie choir. But that is to be expected from the MicroShill contingent.

I expect no-one here at MSFN in this thread is surprised at all, we called this thing a year ago after nearly a whole year of kicking this around, in fact I called it "War" at the time. So two years is enough. It's over. Microsoft says FU to you, and me, and everyone else that gives a darn.

So what is gonna happen now? Will the adoption rates magically jump because of a "Start" Charm that launches Metro? :no: Will the worldwide criticism and anger subside? :no: What will happen is many more people will awaken to the fact that Microsoft is now their sworn enemy. That's right, enemy. They are beyond clueless and have been outed as devious and nefarious and acting in bad faith. Their plan is to kidnap you into their walled-garden Apple-style universe at all costs.

This isn't Microsoft's "Classic Coke" moment, it is Microsoft's classic cocaine moment where they are acting exactly as coke or smack addicts devoid of rationality. Time to wake up people! It's now or never.

Charlotte, the new pseudo-Start Button could be even worse than the current empty spot on the Win8 Taskbar. Mary Jo Foley reports in a second update to the article you link, that:

Thurrott said in the upcoming preview (at least), the new Start cannot be turned off.

Here's Thurrott's post on that topic. If this means what I suspect it means, then -- because it can't be removed -- it might become impossible to replace that fake button with a real Start Button that would call up a real Start Menu.

I'll be happy to be persuasively contradicted on that point.

I agree with you completely, though: this is a big middle finger by MSFT to its longtime loyal customers. It's almost like they're mocking Start Button users by offering form (the Start Button) without substance (the Start Menu).

A couple of insightful comments below Thurrott's article (sadly, in each case followed by an ignoramus reply):

Clearly, Microsoft still doesn't understand the real problem with Windows 8. Having users switch between two different UI's willy nilly is the problem. You shouldn't try to start another desktop app by first switching to the Metro interface, then be switched back. You shouldn't double click a picture in desktop explorer and be thrown into the Metro Photos app [worse, with no easy way back]. The problem is Microsoft keeps forcing you to switch between these two very different interfaces frequently and that substantially cuts your productivity.

The changes announced for 8.1 so far are unlikely to make many more people happy.

Being honest, apart from the start screen, who can say they like the basic Win8 UI? To me it looks like it was designed for the visually handicapped--garishly large text, simple-minded and incomplete prose (because the fonts are so large), etc. I don't want to have to compute in that kind of a visual environment. Maybe all of that works much better for touchscreen tablets with tiny (by my standards) screens. In fact, I'd bet on it. So why did Microsoft forget to leave well-enough alone with the start *menu*? Why not let the user choose his own preference? It really is a puzzle. (You'd think "the future of Microsoft" lay in the eradication of the Windows start menu!--which is nonsense!

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

New Port on Xbox One Controller Makes it Incompatible with Current Gaming Headsets ( Tom's Hardware 2013-05-28 )

According to IGN, current-gen gaming headsets may be useless for the Xbox One. Voice chat through headsets is dependent on connection through the controller, and since the port will be different on Xbox One controllers, gaming headset microphones will be useless. While there is the possibility of Microsoft manufacturing some sort of adapter, IGN was told that the new port on Xbox One controllers is to gain more control over the peripheral market.

"Manufacturers will not only need to develop entirely new products for the new connection standard," wrote IGN's Scott Lowe, "but use licensing and authentication protocols from Microsoft, potentially driving up costs for consumers. The licensing program could also limit the variety and competitive nature of the accessory market since all manufacturers would be required to adhere to Microsoft's terms."

When asked for comment, a Microsoft spokesperson only offered up vague details. "We are working with 3rd party headset manufacturers to create new headsets that will take full advantage of the Xbox One technology.

"We will share more details in the future."

That repeated line about "we'll share more details in the future" sounds like a deliberate strategy: make a Big Announcement, promise to deliver actual information at some unspecified time, then move on to the next Big Announcement. The fanboy press and amateur bloggers will never get around to asking -- "hey, last time you promised to tell us more about the previous Big Announcement." And even if somebody stumbles on the obvious question, there's a ready-made reply: "Oh, that's last year's news, old-hat. Look at This New Thing, isn't it cool and modern!"

But about the play to control the entire accessories market -- that will not go over well, either with existing manufacturers or with gamers who prize the wealth of choices they have today. Mark another contingent that MSFT has pushed into the enemy camp.

--JorgeA

Coverage from other sites ...

More rumors of Start button addition in Windows 8.1 pop up ( NeoWin 2013-05-29 )

Windows 8.1 start buttons leaks, looks familiar ( NeoWin 2013-05-29 )

Windows 8.1 Start button SPOTTED in the wild. It's not the same Start button as Windows 7's, though ( UK Register 2013-05-29 )

Windows 8.1 Start button shown in leaked screenshots ( The Verge 2013-05-29 )

New Start experience? Windows Blue is looking more like Windows Blah ( PC World 2013-05-29 )

The comments are getting funny, especially in the MetroTards'R'Us NeoWin threads. Some clever commenters were playing them using: "What's the matter, you afraid of change now" :lol: Naturally that doesn't go over well.

Anyway, so the big news is that there will be a fake Start Button, that points to Metro! If this wasn't so serious you might chalk this up to a gag. :yes: But it is serious and looks and feels more like a cynical attack on their customers. I wonder if Apple was ever this ridiculous?

Important new fact, apparently official ... There will be an option to use the Metro wallpaper ( that quasi Art Deco mess ) on the normal desktop, so that the user will not be confused by the sudden changes when bounced into Metro! :blink: Recall that the one criticism Microsoft acknowledged at the expense of all others over the course of two years was when some fanboys complained that the desktop didn't look enough like Metro! :blink: That's right, this is what Microsoft chose to hear. They ( probably astroturfers ) complained about the desktop! Meanwhile the entire world was complaining about the opposite, having Metro thrust in your face at random intervals for no reason at all. Holy crap. They couldn't be more hostile to the users if they tried.

Speaking of Start Menus ...

RetroUI Free Start menu for Windows 8 announced ( NeoWin 2013-05-29 )

New Pokki Start menu for Windows 8 adds touch support and more ( NeoWin 2013-05-29 )

The MetroTards are unhinged as usual. Good for a laugh maybe, but if you have high blood pressure just stay clear. Actually if you have a high IQ you also should stay clear because it is suspected that hanging out with the logically challenged can drag down your intelligence. :yes:

EDIT: fixed link